• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Blew out the woofers on my brand new speakers, need help to find the cause

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
My eye went straight to the HV capacitor.
We used to have a cool electronics surplus not to far away in Manchester* NH. They no longer have a storefront (they now sell only online) but when they did, it was a great place to pick up electronic bits & pieces. One of the local vacuum tube hifi buffs picked up a case lot of those for pennies on the dollar. They're 10 uF and thus quite handy for XO projects. Passive XO projects. ;)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Cool. Appears to be a discontinued driver.
I cannot even speculate when the prototype was built, nor if the driver was off-the-shelf or otherwise, unfortunately. I've had it for nigh on a decade, so it's got some age on it.

It is as hefty as it looks. I had to get my son-in-law (who is quite strong, thankfully) to help me schlep it upstairs to the hifi loft when the time came.

Top Bottom