• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Questions on cable lifter measuring

Raindog123

Major Contributor
My new cable design uses an Archimedes screw to push the current through the wire to the speaker

This is so wrong on so many levels — as this will only work with DC current!! Meanwhile, in audio cables electrons go back-and-forth — a few inches forward and then back again... Essentially, cheerfully “swinging” with the dominant frequency of the music, rather than boringly “run” to the speaker. Rather obvious, if you think about it.

Raindog123

Major Contributor
I actually forgot to mention amphibians. This morning I had to remove a toad from our living room. True story.

“Amphibians“, says he... “True story”, says he, “had to remove a toad from living room”... Pure embarrassment! Some of us live in Florida, so had to wrestle alligators from our living quarters this morning: :)

67B2EE84-92DE-40F2-AA94-07846AE80FA2.jpeg

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We worked on this issue many years ago.
Cables should be on an even descent from amp to speakers to help the signal flow effortlessly.
This caused immense problems when using a derived rear channel interface a la Hafler.
The ideal place for the rear speakers was far from ideal for the cables.
Add to this the conflict between the flow and the vital third order low pass filters & you can see the issues we faced.
Self levitating cables are the only solution, but we never could get them to do this with a variable rate to suit the required ascent/descent.
Sounds like they were serpentining uncontrollably due to unbalanced oscillationing.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Would a woman who sees cable lifters want their owner as a father to her children?

Wombat

Master Contributor
1-a69fbb9f8e-4216df96-fc5f-454a-97b9-80f5a2d07bf2.jpg

OP
A

Audioagnostic

“Amphibians“, says he... “True story”, says he, “had to remove a toad from living room”... Pure embarrassment! Some of us live in Florida, so had to wrestle alligators from our living quarters this morning: :)

View attachment 121535
I conceed.

However, because reptiles have higher electrical resistance than amphibians, I still think the impact of my toad on the soundstage was more devastating.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I actually forgot to mention amphibians. This morning I had to remove a toad from our living room. True story. It was on its way to my speakers. Since they are very conductive animals I shudder to think what it could have done to the soundstage.

Damn you... always thinking the worst about amphibians that they are out to sabotage your setup.
It is quite possible the toad was merely on his/her way to your speakers to check them out up close or was trying to find the sweet spot for a better listen.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
H P Lovecraft wrote a great book about amphibians that were out to sabotage our setup

izeek

1: The height of the cable must not be constant. It should sag a bit like power lines. When this doesn't happen all electrons pass through at the same speed. Electrons must make speed on the downwards slope of the cable and slow down when the cable goes upwards. Electrons that get caught on the bottom of the cable sag will be taken along by others.
When the cable is older or it sags too much you can get 'electron clogging' which will result in 'pinched' mids.

2: Don't route the cables through a sink... what were you sinking ?

3: Yes... the risers must be mounted on isolating feet. Both mechanical and electrical. We don't want the hot wire to contact ground so also electrical isolation is needed.

4: Not all insects... I like to attract mosquitos. This seems to work fine with ultrasonic sounds so you have to use non filtered NOS DACs that have ouzes of inaudible US signals in it. To trap them (will only happen near the riser) one must apply some sticky high-end lubricant. That same signal also seem to repel rodents (so advertisements tell me).
It seems to work... I have no rats but maybe because of the cats. Mice is another issue. Fortunately more and more of them are wireless but must be recharged now and then... damn mice !
:D

goldenpiggy

Been doing live shows wrong all these years taping every single cable down with gaff instead of lifting them up.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Been doing live shows wrong all these years taping every single cable down with gaff instead of lifting them up.
Coulda brought a whole new dimenstion to the notion of, e.g., the Grateful Dead trippin' their way through a show.
:rolleyes:

1618007012574.png

Top Bottom