• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PS Audio Talking Smack About Amirm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
And they're far from the only ones. Given how pervasive it is, I'm not sure why, PSA in particular, gets so much heat here.
I think it's their profile, for a increasing amount of people ASR and being ' objective ' has become a key part of their identity, so a company like PSA kinda ' attacks ' their ' self ' .
This explains a lot of what goes on online and to a reasonable person seems kinda wack . It's down to identity and how we project ourselves imo .

You , like me don't really use these exterior things to form our self image..

What amuses me is this is not ' objective ' behaviour, and more over the lack of self awareness that must be present to enable these identity crisis episodes to go unchecked is another thing that undermines the validity of this self image.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Since you used the word "aurally", here's the rub:

Placebo effects are real.

So if they think it sounds better, it might actually sound better.....in their minds.
Temporary they are, I think many audiophiles are in perpetual crisis due to the insecurity their subjective ' temporary ' illusions created.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So -- does the "soul" thing not work for hifi components?

View attachment 80473
As a former owner of Genesis loudspeakers, a Goldmund amp, and other audiophile shit, I can say that it doesn't do the trick for me, at least not any more.

I almost sank a lot of money into a turntable around five years ago. I'm so glad I didn't!

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I think it's their profile, for a increasing amount of people ASR and being ' objective ' has become a key part of their identity, so a company like PSA kinda ' attacks ' their ' self ' .
This explains a lot of what goes on online and to a reasonable person seems kinda wack . It's down to identity and how we project ourselves imo .

You , like me don't really use these exterior things to form our self image..

What amuses me is this is not ' objective ' behaviour, and more over the lack of self awareness that must be present to enable these identity crisis episodes to go unchecked is another thing that undermines the validity of this self image.

Yes.

Audiophile identity politics is real.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I almost sank a lot of money into a turntable around five years ago. I'm so glad I didn't!

I love mine.

LP collecting and playing gives me more fun than digital listening.

I'm not saying it sounds better.

But I like tinkering with the table, trying different cartridges, and collecting LPs.

It fills my need to fiddle, and keeps me from going down the insane-hole of trying to "improve" digital via dubious scrubbers and such.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I love mine.

LP collecting and playing gives me more fun than digital listening.

I'm not saying it sounds better.

But I like tinkering with the table, trying different cartridges, and collecting LPs.

It fills my need to fiddle, and keeps me from going down the insane-hole of trying to "improve" digital via dubious scrubbers and such.
Taking records round ya mates or swapping with family is much much more meaningful than say recommending a streamed title .

It's the intangible! We are human after all.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Pink noise is really good in making quick comparisons... listening directly between the Neumann KH120s and JBL LSR305s with some pink noise, you can immediately tell that the LSR305 is the lesser speaker of the two -- grainy and grating even after I've massively EQ'd most of the resonances away, not to mention significantly shelving away the HF. I'm not saying I hate the 305s... but I can definitely tell the quality and clarity of these monitors overall is much lower in comparison to the Neumann.
Can fully confirm as I also have and like both.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very tough. I always carry a side arm when I hunt them...
What caliber? Run of the mill .357, or bear country .454 Casull? I've heard that feral pigs can be tough nuts to crack.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
As a former owner of Genesis loudspeakers, a Goldmund amp, and other audiophile shit, I can say that it doesn't do the trick for me, at least not any more.

You need to check in with deontay wilder , he's not doing so great right now :D

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes.

Audiophile identity politics is real.
It's not identity politics, just a refusal to tolerate BS. I don't identify with a lot of the folks on this forum: the Harman conventional wisdom crowd, the Genelec fanboys, the SINAD competition crowd, and, most of all, the headphone collectors.

I would expend more energy getting worked up about things that matter, but, in this overheated environment, one can lose one's friends or job doing that.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Who is the tree and who is the pig, in this case?
As Hunter Thompson quipped, "In a generation of swine, the one-eyed pig is king." And in the context of PS Audio, if your customers enjoy eating BS, then a bull is the animal to own. Maybe it's the high country air. Maybe it's the legal dope. Whatever it is, as far as Paul is concerned I really have a difficult time believing that he actually believes his shtick. But who knows? I guess it pays the bills. In the scheme of things, used car salesmen and carnival barkers provide a service, too.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
It's not identity politics, just a refusal to tolerate BS. I don't identify with a lot of the folks on this forum: the Harman conventional wisdom crowd, the Genelec fanboys, the SINAD competition crowd, and, most of all, the headphone collectors.

I would expend more energy getting worked up about things that matter, but, in this overheated environment, one can lose one's friends or job doing that.
Not universally, but it's a huge factor in how peol behave here imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom