• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PS Audio Talking Smack About Amirm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honken

Haters gonna hate. The recipe is based on the sole good dish to come out of a very dark period of our culinary history, the 70s - the Flying Jacob. Most, if not all, pizza places around here have it on their menu. The Pineapple is a rare addition though.

Edit, as for the name - almost every restaurant have their own name for it since it doesn't really have an italian name.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So Pizzas. Has anyone outside of Sweden tried our excellent banana, bacon, chili, curry, chicken and peanut pizzas?
Those all go on the same Pizza or separately???

I have had Curry Pizza from a local Indian chef that has decided to make Pizza. I must say, it was a bit strange. :)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Even the worst threads provide an opportunity for me to learn something new.

"Moron" is not really a harsh word so i don't see it as a big deal but unnecessary ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moron_(psychology)

"Moron" was coined in 1910 by psychologist Henry H. Goddard from the Ancient Greek word μωρός (moros), which meant "dull" and used to describe a person with a mental age in adulthood of between 7 and 10 on the Binet scale. It was once applied to people with an IQ of 51–70, being superior in one degree to "imbecile" (IQ of 26–50) and superior in two degrees to "idiot" (IQ of 0–25).

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Haters gonna hate. The recipe is based on the sole good dish to come out of a very dark period of our culinary history, the 70s - the Flying Jacob. Most, if not all, pizza places around here have it on their menu. The Pineapple is a rare addition though.

Edit, as for the name - almost every restaurant have their own name for it since it doesn't really have an italian name.

So it's the Flying Jacob casserole turned into a pizza?

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor

"Cultural identity crisis casserole" ?

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Even the worst threads provide an opportunity for me to learn something new.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moron_(psychology)

"Moron" was coined in 1910 by psychologist Henry H. Goddard from the Ancient Greek word μωρός (moros), which meant "dull" and used to describe a person with a mental age in adulthood of between 7 and 10 on the Binet scale. It was once applied to people with an IQ of 51–70, being superior in one degree to "imbecile" (IQ of 26–50) and superior in two degrees to "idiot" (IQ of 0–25).

So not as insulting as being called an imbecile or an idiot.

But definitely well below average and on the stupid end of the spectrum.

Good to know?

Honken

Those all go on the same Pizza or separately???

I have had Curry Pizza from a local Indian chef that has decided to make Pizza. I must say, it was a bit strange. :)
All on the same pizza. Looks weirder than it tastes. Honestly, pineapple doesn't really look delicious on a pizza either.
So it's the Flying Jacob casserole turned into a pizza?
Yep.
"Cultural identity crisis casserole" ?
Nobody wants pickled herring (or worse) on a pizza, or in a casserole. Anchovies are mild in comparison to some of the weird things we consider traditional here.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Well, as an American, I shouldn't really poke fun.

In addition to the actually delicious Hawaiian pizza, we have the mixed-bag of Taco Pizza and Hamburger Pizza.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, as an American, I shouldn't really poke fun.

In addition to the actually delicious Hawaiian pizza, we have the mixed-bag of Taco Pizza and Hamburger Pizza.

Uh, no "we" don't :)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Isn't the bottom line that only guys who regularly read his "reviews" are able to cynically comment?

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
All on the same pizza. Looks weirder than it tastes. Honestly, pineapple doesn't really look delicious on a pizza either.

Yep.

Nobody wants pickled herring (or worse) on a pizza, or in a casserole. Anchovies are mild in comparison to some of the weird things we consider traditional here.
I love fresh anchovies! I made a tomato gravy for a girlfriend years ago , she loved it, ate a load then asks me how I made it .. , I tell her about the ' anchovies ' , she starts to cry and goes ape shit.

Apparently she didn't like anchovies, I calmly pointed out she liked the gravy before she knew what was in it but that seemed to provoke the situation further . She flew into a rage , something about her being so hungry and now I'd ruined her dinner.. I did explain with a deal of civility how I'd made it just for her and had been preparing it all afternoon.. again this was not met with the response I'd anticipated and further raging fury ensued.

It was at this point I really understood why my dad chose to spend so much time in the damp cold inhospitable garage in our back yard.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I love fresh anchovies! I made a tomato gravy for a girlfriend years ago , she loved it, ate a load then asks me how I made it .. , I tell her about the ' anchovies ' , she starts to cry and goes ape shit.

Apparently she didn't like anchovies, I calmly pointed out she liked the gravy before she knew what was in it but that seemed to provoke the situation further . She flew into a rage , something about her being so hungry and now I'd ruined her dinner.. I did explain with a deal of civility how I'd made it just for her and had been preparing it all afternoon.. again this was not met with the response I'd anticipated and further raging fury ensued.

It was at this point I really understood why my dad chose to spend so much time in the damp cold inhospitable garage in our back yard.

Not a keeper, that one.

cistercian

Forum Donor
I can't stand it anymore...so many pizza heretics on this site. A proper and excellent pizza does not
need ham and pineapple. Just a plain cheese pizza should be fantastic.
I has horrified to see the depraved west coast pizzas so covered with ingredients that they might as well
be hand held casserole slices. NY pizza for the win. Also Chicago. Here is the secret...tomatoes from Italy.
Cheese from Italy. Flour from Italy. Olive oil from Italy. NY and Chicago have all of those ingredients imported
straight in. So the pizza is epic.
Covering the pizza with giant amounts of topping just conceals the crust and sauce fail. There. I said it.

I was raised in NY. And had friends from Chicago and have sampled their pizza extensively. I am not
a snob in anything...except for pizza. I have spent untold hours in NY pizza joints and the family favorite one
closed when I was a teen. I used to help the owner in the back...and he taught me the sauce and crust recipe
because he was closing and his kids would not continue the place. Aside from onions and the bay leaf and water
everything else was Italian. I live in the South now. It is expensive to get the ingredients here.

The best Pizza in Chicago I ate was just like my friends. I looked at his food case. Same exact ingredients.

I have had some good pizza in other parts of the US. All of it by Italians from Chicago or NY.

Both cities have their own styles and people have strong opinions over what place is their favorite. In both,
the segregation of fans of different places is remarkable and just as stark as the division between real pizza
in either vs the west coast horror show casseroles.

I am not hating on the west coast here. I am a Socal native. But pizza? I don't think so!

So there!...you pineapple and ham gobbling heretics.:p

Last edited:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I can't stand it anymore...so many pizza heretics on this site. A proper and excellent pizza does not
need ham and pineapple. Just a plain cheese pizza should be fantastic.
I has horrified to see the depraved west coast pizzas so covered with ingredients that they might as well
be hand held casserole slices. NY pizza for the win. Also Chicago. Here is the secret...tomatoes from Italy.
Cheese from Italy. Flour from Italy. Olive oil from Italy. NY and Chicago have all of those ingredients imported
straight in. So the pizza is epic.
Covering the pizza with giant amounts of topping just conceals the crust and sauce fail. There. I said it.

I was raised in NY. And had friends from Chicago and have sampled their pizza extensively. I am not
a snob in anything...except for pizza. I have spent untold hours in NY pizza joints and the family favorite one
closed when I was a teen. I used to help the owner in the back...and he taught me the sauce and crust recipe
because he was closing and his kids would not continue the place. Aside from onions and the bay leaf and water
everything else was Italian. I live in the South now. It is expensive to get the ingredients here.

The best Pizza in Chicago I ate was just like my friends. I looked at his food case. Same exact ingredients.

I have had some good pizza in other parts of the US. All of it by Italians from Chicago or NY.

Both cities have their own styles and people have strong opinions over what place is their favorite. In both,
the segregation of fans of different places is remarkable and just as stark as the division between real pizza
in either vs the west coast horror show casseroles.

I am not hating on the west coast here. I am a Socal native. But pizza? I don't think so!

So there!...you pineapple and ham gobbling heretics.:p

Blah blah Italy, NYC.

The pizza became an international dish decades ago.

Yeah, I've eaten Italian pizza all over Italy.

Pizza is bigger than that now.

I've had pizza in non-Italian Europe, Africa, Latin America, Asia, Australia, Middle East.

Same rules for sushi.

Last edited:

kokishin

Forum Donor

Your saga caused two old (crude) jokes to pop into my head...

What's an anchovy?
A fish that smells like a finger.

What did the blind man say as he passed the fish market?
"Hello ladies"

Bada boom!

cistercian

Forum Donor
Blah blah Italy.

The pizza became an international dish decades ago.

Yeah, I've eaten Italian pizza all over Italy.

Pizza is bigger than that now.

Palate fail. Ingredients actually matter. That being said, I am amazed at how parochial people are over the food
that they grew up with. It is interesting to discuss cooking and favorite dishes in different places.
The opinions are strong to say the least. I think down east vinegar based pork BBQ is best BTW.

Here in the South arguing over BBQ is a near Olympic event. Great fun to be sure. Pig pickings are even better!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom