• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PS Audio Noise Harvester Video Review

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Great vid @amirm Thanks.

(Love the panther!)

SaltyCDogg

I just moved house and in the new house, which is old and has older wiring, my subwoofer has a noticeable hum that unaffected by if it's connected to my amp or anything I do with the grounding etc. I must confess I was considering trying something like this to try and fix the issue.

Sonny1

Another great video. I’m happy to see how many people on YouTube actually agree with Amir. Honestly, I was expecting some disagreement but it’s refreshing to see so many people express thanks for the objective scientific measurements.

flAked

@amirm I think it would be super useful to test different power inputs on a popular device like the Topping E30, to compare the noise from USB-Power via PC, a phone charger and some of the more expensive options.

SmackDaddies

I just moved house and in the new house, which is old and has older wiring, my subwoofer has a noticeable hum that unaffected by if it's connected to my amp or anything I do with the grounding etc. I must confess I was considering trying something like this to try and fix the issue.
I would suspect your outlet is not actually grounded (common issue in older homes). The previous owner might have put in a grounded outlet, but not actually hooked up a ground (my house, for example). I have an amplifier that has a definite hum with no load when plugged into outlets without a ground, and it does not have a hum when plugged into an outlet with a known good ground

You can add a ground, but it is often a pain in the ass

ta240

Major Contributor
something like this might be a good place to start
iu

Vovgan

Forum Donor
Does a good voltage stabilizer clean up the harmonic distortions of the power grid?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Does a good voltage stabilizer clean up the harmonic distortions of the power grid?
Voltage stabilizers are rather crude devices in that they just have an autotransformer with different taps which they switch between to get the voltage adjusted to a different range. They don't do any filtering on their own other than whatever the transformer may do by itself.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
I would suspect your outlet is not actually grounded (common issue in older homes). The previous owner might have put in a grounded outlet, but not actually hooked up a ground (my house, for example). I have an amplifier that has a definite hum with no load when plugged into outlets without a ground, and it does not have a hum when plugged into an outlet with a known good ground
You can add a ground, but it is often a pain in the ass
In this case, I'm sure what a 'ground' is. But to add a Safety Ground would require replacing a 2 wire cable, with a UL approved 3 wire cable all the way back to the main breaker panel.
Note that the connection to Planet Earth has nothing to do with day-to-day AC power quality. It's there for safety during unusual events.

Lbstyling

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So who is going to be first to post a click bate video with the title :

'Amir D E S T R O Y S Paul McGowan from PS audio with FACTS':cool::D

Popcorn waiting.;)

Top Bottom