• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Protocol for sales on ASR

Nybto

Forum Donor
I was hoping to find some ground rules somewhere for how to proceed with sales on here, as it does indeed seem to be a bit of a problem. My assumption was that there would be sufficient trust, when dealing with established characters who are contributing on ASR, and that would be the basis to complete a deal, without recourse to the likes of Ebay. I have asked to receive payment to paypal in advance of shipping, but this seems to cause a problem. Is there a better way of doing it?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I have asked to receive payment to paypal in advance of shipping, but this seems to cause a problem. Is there a better way of doing it?

I can't remember buying anything anywhere without paying for it first...

eisenb11

That would be the norm. Pay first, then ship. There is no reason to trust a stranger to any level beyond that. In fact, asking to ship before paying would seem shifty to me.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Always buyer beware. A matter of trust.

I use Ebay because of their money-back assurance if things go sour. I don't know if this is universal outside of Australia - we have some of the strongest consumer protection laws on the planet, with Gov. agency back-up.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
ebay money back guarantee is no guarantee. Nor is paypal's. (combined they are very helpful to the buyer and can be a detriment to the seller) If there is a problem you need proof enough to convince them to decide in you behalf - that is not a GUARANTEE. I have lots of stories to tell with personal and close personal experience proving this point.
I am not arguing but rather clarifying since people tend to forget. there are no guarantees except to die and pay taxes (or pay the price - just ask al capone) in the US.
IMHO it comes down to doing your due diligence and understanding that there is always risk and if the risk is beyond the monetary threshold of what you want to bear, dont do it.

jerryfreak

as with anything, use common sense

ive done tons of transactions with people on all sorts of audio boards spanning decades... few issues

wje

Forum Donor
All great responses. I've never had a situation where someone has asked me to ship an item to them before they make the payment for the item and/or shipping fees. If a buyer suggested such a transaction, I'd quickly pass on the option.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Though obvious, this thread is important and I'm grateful that @Nybto brought it up.
Over time we do forget what seems obvious and such thread seems a good occasion to refresh.
I thought like @Wombat; but @muslhead statement is an eye opener !

G00d luck ...

MuseIcal

Since private sales are allowed here, I think a 'Members Feedback' thread should be setup.
A place for ASR members to post their experience(s) with both buyer and seller so other members will know who can be trusted for transactions.

Just a thought....

Certainkindoffool

Forum Donor
Since private sales are allowed here, I think a 'Members Feedback' thread should be setup.
A place for ASR members to post their experience(s) with both buyer and seller so other members will know who can be trusted for transactions.

Just a thought....

+1 That is the most useful feature of the CAM/USAM. It provides a solid foundation for trust and courtesy in transactions.

I did leave feedback within the thread of the item I purchased through this site.

Hawk600

I am new here but I have some experience along the years from other boards including non AV gear.

It is far from perfect but I won't buy anything without Paypal Goods and Service transaction referring the post containing the item in question.

Also is always good to ask for clear item pictures (if not posted) including a note with date and forum name (timestamp) as well as detailed condition of the item (in case not posted).

Third thing, check buyers integrity: how long he/she is around, feedbacks (even from other boards, ebay,etc.), previous posts, google search on email, etc. Any reference is better than nothing.

As suggestion, board members (Sellers) shold update their posts accordingly and mark it as SOLD after the transaction is completed and Buyers should confirm receiving, keeping the sold price as this is a great reference to the rest of the comunity as well.

HionHiFi

To add to this conversation, I found that it depends on the community you’re in. I’ve been an Audiophile for more than 25 years and have really only had 1 experience I regretted, and I’ve sold a ton of equipment over the years. Audiophiles I can say are a trustworthy community. As others have said caveat emptor.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
As suggestion, board members (Sellers) shold update their posts accordingly and mark it as SOLD after the transaction is completed and Buyers should confirm receiving, keeping the sold price as this is a great reference to the rest of the comunity as well.
This is a good suggestion. Alas, unless the seller is a forum donor, they lose the ability to edit their post after a few days. If so, just report it to us and we can make the change.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
I was hoping to find some ground rules somewhere for how to proceed with sales on here, as it does indeed seem to be a bit of a problem. My assumption was that there would be sufficient trust, when dealing with established characters who are contributing on ASR, and that would be the basis to complete a deal, without recourse to the likes of Ebay. I have asked to receive payment to paypal in advance of shipping, but this seems to cause a problem. Is there a better way of doing it?
All my honest opinion here.
Never ship before payment. Ever. Ever. Ever. 100% not cool.
If the buyer pays and you don't ship with tracking Paypal & or Credit card Co. will refund the buyers money so they are safe.
As well, never ask the buyer to use the "send money to a friend" option, or Venmo or anything sketchy that requires them to give up their power if you as the seller don't fallow through.
Never ask the buyer to pay the Paypal fee, ridiculous - as the seller be ecstatic for a small fee one can exchange goods for money.
Remember you are responsible for insurance on the package in all cases bar none. If it arrives damaged or doesn't arrive at all you as the seller will be out.
I sell far more than I buy using these methods, but as a buyer I would never expect shipment before payment nor would I ever buy from a seller that didn't follow my rules.
If the item is very expensive there are brokers that will hold the money or goods for transfer to help smooth out any fears. (for a fee of course but worth it if you are selling some sort of 25k gear)

Top Bottom