• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Power Cords and Sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Markets work without distortion only when the market can make educated and informed choices among competitors. If a charlatan succeeds in hoodwinking a customer into being happy with a snake-oil product, we can hardly say the market spoke with a clear voice.

Of course, some customers seek to hide themselves from education and information so completely that one could argue they are complicit in the deception. But that's like blaming a rape victim on the basis of having been dressed provocatively.

Rick "'thou shalt not bear false witness'" Denney
Sometimes the customer gets what they deserve in their intense ignorance and unwillingness to learn anything. I am amazed almost daily how I guess at 70% of our population does not learn anything new past age 22. They get married, have kids and work all the time. Learning is dead last in their priorities. I was not that way but I see it all the time. They are not bad people, they just stopped learning very early in life. Very sad in a way.

audio2design

Major Contributor
Sometimes the customer gets what they deserve in their intense ignorance and unwillingness to learn anything. I am amazed almost daily how I guess at 70% of our population does not learn anything new past age 22. They get married, have kids and work all the time. Learning is dead last in their priorities. I was not that way but I see it all the time. They are not bad people, they just stopped learning very early in life. Very sad in a way.

That's not a nice thing to say about public school teachers :)

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
I am here to once and finally declare that I can absolutely 100% of the time hear the difference between a power cord! I have run multiple blind tests where my Lovely Wife would randomly swap between the OEM provided power cord and various other cords. Cords used in testing were (Bungee Coord, Braided Rope Cord, Heavy duty String, and Several variants of Zip Cord).

I was most certainly able to determine immediately if the OEM power cord was used verse’s the Other cords. With the OEM cord the music was dynamic and had incredible stage depth and presentation. I could hear every instrument clearly and the Voices. Why they sounded like they were singing right in the room with me.

When my very Lovely Wife switched to any other Cord I could not make out any of the above details and it was like the band was on break and no music was audible? I know this was as surprising to me as it probably is to you! But there you have it. A properly designed electrical cord is a absolute must for any person whom thinks oneself an “Audiophile”. (Audio=Music, Phile=Lover). :D

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
that-cord-34569221.png

View attachment 179011

JSmith
Is that the Dizzy Gillespie signature version?
so... this is meant to be humourous. Some famous bandleader once quipped, of his own band: "Dis band should disband!" -- but I don't remember who it was, and (gasp!) google's speechless (clueless) on the subject too. :eek:
It wasn't Dizzy, I guess... so... who was it? Sir Duke? Count Basie, Xavier Cugat? I dunno! :(

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I am here to once and finally declare that I can absolutely 100% of the time hear the difference between a power cord! I have run multiple blind tests where my Lovely Wife would randomly swap between the OEM provided power cord and various other cords. Cords used in testing were (Bungee Coord, Braided Rope Cord, Heavy duty String, and Several variants of Zip Cord).

I was most certainly able to determine immediately if the OEM power cord was used verse’s the Other cords. With the OEM cord the music was dynamic and had incredible stage depth and presentation. I could hear every instrument clearly and the Voices. Why they sounded like they were singing right in the room with me.

When my very Lovely Wife switched to any other Cord I could not make out any of the above details and it was like the band was on break and no music was audible? I know this was as surprising to me as it probably is to you! But there you have it. A properly designed electrical cord is a absolute must for any person whom thinks oneself an “Audiophile”. (Audio=Music, Phile=Lover). :D

That was the great engineering of your equipment manufacturer. They took the time for every detail! Change the cord and it sounds worse! They did understand the synergie between the amp and the powercord! ;)

egellings

Major Contributor
Again, the whole power cord (and every other kind of wire used in audio) sound quality thing is entirely belief based once a cord has the minimum necessary ampacity to handle what it powers. If you think a garden hose-sized cord makes your 7-watt SET amp sound better, then for all intents and purposes, for you, it does. Enjoy your cord!

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I just love it when a manufacturer uses names like this one, grand illusion.

Untitled.jpg

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
... ampacity...

:cool:
I have read that term in teaching material for I think it was electricians, but I'm not sure. It gets used quite a bit. I cringe, but then I'm not up on the latest newfangled language terms.

AdamG

Forum Donor
I just love it when a manufacturer uses names like this one, grand illusion.

Untitled.jpg
It even comes with a Matching White Straight Jacket for the Purchaser’s institutional wardrobe. Sweet!

audio2design

Major Contributor
- Want to reduce power supply ripple on a linear supply and injected noise into a piece of equipment -- add series resistance to the AC cord
- Want to reduce power supply ripple and injected noise into a piece of equipment -- add series inductance to the AC cord
- Want to reduce power supply ripple and injected noise into a piece of equipment -- add parallel capacitance to the AC cord

What does every audiophile power cord vendor claim? Lower resistance, lower inductance, lower capacitance.

The only power connection that benefits from the lowest impedance path is the ground connection between two pieces of equipment.

In some equipment, voltage pumping between neutral and ground could induce noise. I would rather it did not, but I know it happens.

Take any linear supply and add some resistance to the line. Will the power supply ripple go up or down? It will go down, even when heavily loaded. What will change when heavily loaded is the average voltage at the output will reduce.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have read that term in teaching material for I think it was electricians, but I'm not sure. It gets used quite a bit. I cringe, but then I'm not up on the latest newfangled language terms.
Ampacity is simply the rated current-carrying capacity of a given wire gauge. Just a bit of jargon to say in one word what would normally take several.

Rick "Code requires that current be less than ampacity" Denney

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Naah, I don't abhor abstruse jargon at all.
My disclipline's full of it, too, e.g., metabolome.

Do they say voltacity too, or would that represent too much audacity?

Last edited:

egellings

Major Contributor
Ability to hold off voltage does not seem to have a funny sounding term like that. Voltacity? Never heard of it.

Last edited:

AdamG

Forum Donor
That's not a nice thing to say about public school teachers :)
We all, every single one of us, at some point in our young lives were influenced in a good way by a Single or possibly multiple Teachers. So let’s not toss them all in the same grouping or stereotype. I am perpetually grateful that a few teachers took note of me and helped guide and shape my future. I did an exercise to identify the 10 most influential people in my life when I was preparing my retirement Speech. I still have the list to this day. 5 of the Top ten were former Teachers. They have a tough job that just keeps getting harder and harder as parents distance themselves from their Childrens development. Our society owes them our respect and gratitude. :cool:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I am pretty sure that I wouldn't have become a scientist were it not for my high school chemistry & physics teacher, Mr. Ted Henn.
Perhaps paradoxically, I am a biochemist, rather than a chemist or a physicist, but his influence on me was profound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom