• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Post research here that casts doubt on ASR objectivism

JRS

Major Contributor
I have experienced the same thing when inebriated, stoned or both. I held the pool table and snooker all night long in the pub more than several times. It's like being in a separate zone from everybody else. I avoid interacting with people around me for fear of disturbing the zone, no noises interrupt the focus, people around become distant and do not affect the zone and my body feels very toned but relaxed. It's beaucoup cooL.

EDIT: The operation of a motorcycle is not improved by this effect though. So there is something going on there where one activity is improved and another is not.
Good, that's cool I am not alone, and appears to be somewhat reproducible. I do get the bike; there are some things that should be off limits and operation of high speed machinery is one of those. Hope you weren't too bunged up.

The zone is real, and it is not limited to drugs by any stretch. The question is a) how to reliably get there and 2)whether the zone applies to listening. I'm leaning towards 8 to 10 g dose, a 90 minute period of near silence to give the hair cells a period of quiet adaptation, and start with what should be easier tasks like a msmt of pure tone sensitivity, then MP3 vs Redbook, then look at some of the actual ultra high rez recordings vs Redbook. Then if that goes well, the ultimate: the green sharpie test...

Even an impact on normal hearing would be noteworthy.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I do get the bike; there are some things that should be off limits and operation of high speed machinery is one of those. Hope you weren't too bunged up.
Snowmobiling @night on acid is a hOOt. The light and colors beaming off the snow, the effect of acceleration distorting the vision. It's just a gas. Usually done out on backroads that are not used by the public in the winter or on mountain access fire roads and logging roads that are covered in several feet+ of snow.

charleski

Major Contributor
I do believe in quantum mechanics, but I’m skeptical of audio equipment claims that invoke them
I don’t think quantum mechanics is a matter of ‘belief’ these days :). But a good example of how it can lead some people to veer off down the wrong road can be found here:
Discovery of quantum vibrations in 'microtubules' inside brain neurons
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Roger Penrose is a very very eminent physicist and a colossal figure in modern science. But speaking as a neuroscientist I have not the slightest hesitation in stating that quantum effects have no impact whatsoever on the gross macroscopic network phenomenon that is consciousness. No-one places the slightest credence in this idea (which he first advanced back in the ‘90s) except Penrose and a couple of his buddies. Penrose has made some major contributions to modern physics, though, so I suppose that gives him some licence to play around with loony-fringe ideas.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I don’t think quantum mechanics is a matter of ‘belief’ these days :). But a good example of how it can lead some people to veer off down the wrong road can be found here:
Discovery of quantum vibrations in 'microtubules' inside brain neurons
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Roger Penrose is a very very eminent physicist and a colossal figure in modern science. But speaking as a neuroscientist I have not the slightest hesitation in stating that quantum effects have no impact whatsoever on the gross macroscopic network phenomenon that is consciousness. No-one places the slightest credence in this idea (which he first advanced back in the ‘90s) except Penrose and a couple of his buddies. Penrose has made some major contributions to modern physics, though, so I suppose that gives him some licence to play around with loony-fringe ideas.
FWIW, about 14-15 years ago, I spent several years working with a guy who's apparently a top neuroscientist, cranked out a few papers and snagged some grants. He's very smart, very accomplished, very senior- couldn't solve a Schroedinger equation to save his life and didn't understand any of the QM work I had previously done. So QM doesn't seem to be deeply embedded in neurological function.

cochlea

Forum Donor
FWIW, about 14-15 years ago, I spent several years working with a guy who's apparently a top neuroscientist, cranked out a few papers and snagged some grants. He's very smart, very accomplished, very senior- couldn't solve a Schroedinger equation to save his life and didn't understand any of the QM work I had previously done. So QM doesn't seem to be deeply embedded in neurological function.
If anyone ever tells you they understand quantum mechanics, they don’t understand quantum mechanics. :p:)

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Yes and no.

115ff697c56abbdb4a993537931aeaf8.jpg

egellings

Major Contributor
Hork! (About hork!: A shout of derision from a grandpa bullfrog) About quantum mechanics- I think Firesign Theater had it right in "How can you be in two places at once when you're not anywhere at all?".

OP
ahofer

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
THink I just found the first actual candidate.

Journal of the Audio Engineering Society, Volume 69 Issue 6 pp. 398-409, June 1st 2021

Milind N. Kunchur ([email protected], [email protected]) University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC 29208, U.S.A.
The arena of highest fidelity in music reproduction, sometimes referred to as high-end audio, has many controversial claims and contentious issues. One such controversy is whether the cables and topology used to interlink components together make an audible difference. There seems to be a disparity between anecdotal experiences reported by audiophiles and published formal scientific research, as to what are the minimal changes in system configuration that can be audibly distinguished. With the motivation of bridging this divide—which may originate from differences in instrumentation and subject-listening conditions used by the two groups—this work utilized a high-performance audio system and an extended-duration listening protocol that more closely resembles audiophile auditioning conditions. With these measures, the present work was able to prove through direct psychoacoustic testing that two different analog-interconnect pathways can be audibly distinguished.
Seems underpowered to me.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Snowmobiling @night on acid is a hOOt. The light and colors beaming off the snow, the effect of acceleration distorting the vision. It's just a gas. Usually done out on backroads that are not used by the public in the winter or on mountain access fire roads and logging roads that are covered in several feet+ of snow.
Yikes! Do you have any issues with your drug use? I'm too afraid to use drugs as the few working brain cells I have may decide to go kaput and then I'd be as dumb as most people. Now, you have to realize that I'm only a few brain cells away from random uncontrolled stupidity.........

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Kuncher should have stuck with his specialty. He’s now the Targ and Puthoff of audio.
I know everything about Quantum Mechanics and in fact am a world renowned expert in the field. My education was extensive in that I read a couple quick posts on QM on the internet and now I know everything. I can get on forums and talk endlessy about QM. I am a legend in my own online mind.

The above is for educational purposes and what goes on daily on the internet. People who know nothing trying to act like they know something or they really don't know what they don't know!

Oh and I realize that I have forgotten more in the last 10 years than I would ever have believed. Old age can be a tough lifestyle!

audio2design

Major Contributor

And who says natural selection is no longer a factor for humans.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yikes! Do you have any issues with your drug use? I'm too afraid to use drugs as the few working brain cells I have may decide to go kaput and then I'd be as dumb as most people. Now, you have to realize that I'm only a few brain cells away from random uncontrolled stupidity.........
Drug use damage to the brain is over rated. :D

Top Bottom