• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gr research cable difference

Bogda89

Couple days ago I watched a video where Danny is doing blind test between his premium cables and cheapest Ali express speaker cables. He was able to guess 8 out of 10.

I was listening through cheap Bluetooth earbuds while driving, and I could definitely hear the difference, although I preferred cheap.

So I am not believer in cables, and this is my theory why there is audible difference. They were using tube amplifier. I don't have a lot of knowledge in electronics, but from what I understand, tube amplifiers have high output impedance, or damping factor, and are known that can not really play and control very low frequency. By adding cable that is very thin and high resistance, damping factor will get even worst and speaker produce evel less bass. And that's what I hear, less bass and more high frequency with cheap cable.

A while ago I watched an interview with Aleksandar Radosavljevic, owner or Raal ribbon manifecturer, and when he was asked about cables, he said that properly designed amplifier (in his case benchmark) will not "see" any cable and will not make any meaningful difference. And instead of wasting money on cables to improve the sound, spend it to what ruined it in the first place.

What do you guys think?

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This has been discussed ad infinitum here (not your reasoning but the cable tests). Use the search button, like Google, it is your friend

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This has been discussed ad infinitum here (not your reasoning but the cable tests). Use the search button, like Google, it is your friend
Yes, it has been discussed here somewhere. I searched GR Research and cable test and found no results. I'm guessing the title of the previous commentary is obscure and not searchable.

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Couple days ago I watched a video where Danny is doing blind test between his premium cables and cheapest Ali express speaker cables. He was able to guess 8 out of 10.

I was listening through cheap Bluetooth earbuds while driving, and I could definitely hear the difference, although I preferred cheap.

So I am not believer in cables, and this is my theory why there is audible difference. They were using tube amplifier. I don't have a lot of knowledge in electronics, but from what I understand, tube amplifiers have high output impedance, or damping factor, and are known that can not really play and control very low frequency. By adding cable that is very thin and high resistance, damping factor will get even worst and speaker produce evel less bass. And that's what I hear, less bass and more high frequency with cheap cable.

A while ago I watched an interview with Aleksandar Radosavljevic, owner or Raal ribbon manifecturer, and when he was asked about cables, he said that properly designed amplifier (in his case benchmark) will not "see" any cable and will not make any meaningful difference. And instead of wasting money on cables to improve the sound, spend it to what ruined it in the first place.

What do you guys think?

Top Bottom