• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Post research here that casts doubt on ASR objectivism

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
TL;DR (or DNR seems more correct but what do I know)

Why would I cast doubt on the asr objectivism thing?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
TL;DR (or DNR seems more correct but what do I know)

Why would I cast doubt on the asr objectivism thing?
I might be wrong but I saw it as a call out for more trolling from the subjective world. :mad:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I might be wrong but I saw it as a call out for more trolling from the subjective world. :mad:
I more just glanced at the title for my response in any case. Lots of subjectivists around here too..

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
John Nash‘s mathematical advancements - including Nash Equilibrium - have been heavily used in social science, economic science, and even political science. :)

I know many basketball teams rely heavily on Nash's theories for finding optimal teammate and usage combinations.

OP
ahofer

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Like many threads on ASR, this has gone off in a few directions, but, unless I missed it, I have yet to see any of the research requested in my OP.

OP
ahofer

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Unresolved mysteries of the universe ("there are more things on heaven and earth..") is indeed a very vague and nonspecific scientific defined statement that sound more as a religion.
However, from my perspective, all statements in this "null hypothesis" are in the same class and we are kindly asked to answer with scientific evidence.
And in general; in case you do not believe in quantum mechanics we both have a very different understanding of the physics that brought us here and keeps us going.

I do believe in quantum mechanics, but I’m skeptical of audio equipment claims that invoke them, as they are almost always an attempt to either invoke uncertainty (similar to the Shakespeare quote), or attempt to make a claim that the lay audience can’t refute. See cables and tweaks.

Jack B

Forum Donor
I don't have any problem paying more something that looks nice.

Even if it doesn't perform any better.

It may be true that all cats look the same in the dark, but sometimes you want to have sex with the lights on.
Do you really want to have sex with your cats?

Jack B

Forum Donor
Certainly they don't *enhance* your listening skills, but I think they change the nature of your attention to the music.

Agree with you about the Dead, tho.
Funny thing: I can recall a time when I was "ripped" on acid (decades ago) and presented with a pellet pistol and a dart board maybe 15 feet away. I managed to hit several darts within an inch or so of the center. Never got anywhere near that close while "sober" several days later. I attribute this to an ability to, at that time, concentrate fully on the task at hand, that under normal conditions, would be unattainable. Not a scientific study, and not recommended at all, but food for thought...

Reactions: JRS

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

JRS

Major Contributor
Funny thing: I can recall a time when I was "ripped" on acid (decades ago) and presented with a pellet pistol and a dart board maybe 15 feet away. I managed to hit several darts within an inch or so of the center. Never got anywhere near that close while "sober" several days later. I attribute this to an ability to, at that time, concentrate fully on the task at hand, that under normal conditions, would be unattainable. Not a scientific study, and not recommended at all, but food for thought...
I've mentioned this a few times since joining: my supposition is that if there are minute discernible differences right at the edge of perception, psychedelics might, and I repeat, might help to reveal them. Part of this would be a function of subjective time dilation-where seconds seem like minutes, and the second would be the ability to concentrate at levels difficult to obtain otherwise. I plan on recruiting 2 other individuals and a sober, designated equipment master who can sort out technical issues, and is able to read file names. I'm still in the planning stages of what sorts of ABX testing to include.

Your anecdote reminded me of a similar time in college when we were ripped and started playing pool. I was in no way skilled, and had really just knocked the balls around with friends, none of whom were any good, maybe a few times a year. And as if in a dream all the cut angles, the English needed to stop the cue wherever, the modulation of throw on cuts by the English needed to place the cue, it all was bloody intuitive. It was like how could this not have been obvious before? I knocked in like 11 in a row at one point; mind you, 3 in a row was about my limit normally. I didn't lose a game that night. I have had other experiences with golf that were just as mind bending. So I think there may be something worth looking into; if nothing else we'll have had some fun.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
And as if in a dream all the cut angles, the English needed to stop the cue wherever, the modulation of throw on cuts by the English needed to place the cue, it all was bloody intuitive. It was like how could this not have been obvious before? I knocked in like 11 in a row at one point; mind you, 3 in a row was about my limit normally. I didn't lose a game that night. I have had other experiences with golf that were just as mind bending. So I think there may be something worth looking into; if nothing else we'll have had some fun.
I have experienced the same thing when inebriated, stoned or both. I held the pool table and snooker all night long in the pub more than several times. It's like being in a separate zone from everybody else. I avoid interacting with people around me for fear of disturbing the zone, no noises interrupt the focus, people around become distant and do not affect the zone and my body feels very toned but relaxed. It's beaucoup cooL.

EDIT: The operation of a motorcycle is not improved by this effect though. So there is something going on there where one activity is improved and another is not.

Top Bottom