• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Poll: How do you primarily listen to audio at home?

Choose your primary listening option

• Stereo speakers

Votes: 509 33.5%
  • 2.x speaker system

Votes: 382 25.1%
  • 3.x speaker system

Votes: 13 0.9%
  • 5.x speaker system

Votes: 65 4.3%
  • 7.x or more speaker system

Votes: 67 4.4%
  • Headphones, IEM or equiv.

Votes: 238 15.7%
  • Smart speaker(s) (Alexa, Sonos, etc.)

Votes: 14 0.9%
  • Soundbar or similar

Votes: 5 0.3%
  • Other (please post detail in thread)

Votes: 11 0.7%
  • Multiple Systems (Music, Home Theater, etc.)

Votes: 216 14.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Heulpic

I just last week bought a 2022 CD that came with a 4.1 DTS audio DVD and I was thinking how might I play that and decided I probably will never listen to the quad version and how the last time I heard quad was on an early Mike Oldfield LP ¯\_( ⊙_ʖ⊙ )_/¯ then I come here and discover that it's not even an option in this long list. What happened to quad and why would anyone release a new quad music album in 2022 if nobody has that format at home?
It's been mainly used in mid 70's. Nowadays they just re-use the original tapes for multichannel remix like the recent 50th anniversary of Frank Zappa's Overnight Sensation (even if they kept the original quad mix on this release).

Heulpic

I just last week bought a 2022 CD that came with a 4.1 DTS audio DVD and I was thinking how might I play that and decided I probably will never listen to the quad version and how the last time I heard quad was on an early Mike Oldfield LP ¯\_( ⊙_ʖ⊙ )_/¯ then I come here and discover that it's not even an option in this long list. What happened to quad and why would anyone release a new quad music album in 2022 if nobody has that format at home?

And look what else is as hated and ignored as quad ... mono. Of course.

Limopard

Mostly by headphones since no one in the family shares my passion for music. Exception: vinyl. It sounds good on speakers, but on headphones the noise becomes annoying quite fast.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I chose 7.x:
My Rig is built for Multichannel Audio first, but all listening I do is never upmixed, so Stereo mixes are always 2.x (with subs), and any multichannel SACDs or DTS 5.1 are listened to in their native mix if possible (except for the DTS 5.1 that requires a Rear Center which gets parsed to the Rear Surrounds instead).

a2Thompson

A 6.1 immersive system in my kitchen/dining room/living room designed to prioritize frequency response throughout the room above imaging (i.e., no stable spatial soundfield but excellent sound). I still need to add another sub and deploy MSO so that I feel less of a need to switch DSP optimizations based on where I (or others) am/are at, which can be standing doing the dishes or cooking, walking around, or sometimes sitting on the couch or at the dining table.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Well the devil is in the detail. I listen primarily music in 2.1 with my 6.1 home theater SYSTEM. I feel I don't fit anywhere;)
10 then. :cool:

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
5.2 AV - since this gets the most usage on, the main system.
2.0 Music - music in native format, almost all is 2.0, with an occasional multi-channel mix when available.

- Rich

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Depends, when you say "audio" I assume you mean more than just music?

yes

My primary TV/movie watching, video game playing, and where I do about 1/4 of my music listening is my living room setup which is a 5.1.4 Atmos system. Total listening time on that system is probably 50% of all my time listening to audio of any kind.

I do about 1/4 of my remaining listening on my PC in my office, which has powered Dynaudio monitors, and the remainder of my listening, about 3/4, with either my Truthear or Salnotes wired IEMs or my Sennheiser wireless IEMs from my phone.

If we just talk about music, it's about 50% on my IEMs, and about 25% each on my monitors and my living room system.

Seems you likely fall into the Multiple systems category (I do). Since it is a catch all, if it gets too many votes, will likely need another poll.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
2.x

I have multiple systems but that includes a 'primary' system.
Do folks really have it split so evenly between 4+ options that one is not primary and used the most often in % . I suppose so.

I will say I did not count nor would I consider counting time spent on anything I use when playing background music when working in the garage or yard.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I put down headphones even though I have a fairly good 2.1 speaker system. When it comes to music listening I tend to use headphones more, but the 2.1 speaker system is hooked up to my TV so that is literally used all the time for TV & Movies and sometimes for music, but still I use my headphones more when it comes to listening to music.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I've got Infinity Primus 250 speakers and a Sonus Son of Sub active subwoofer. While I have an assortment of different headphones, more and more I'm sticking to the speakers.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Depends, when you say "audio" I assume you mean more than just music?

My primary TV/movie watching, video game playing, and where I do about 1/4 of my music listening is my living room setup which is a 5.1.4 Atmos system. Total listening time on that system is probably 50% of all my time listening to audio of any kind.

I do about 1/4 of my remaining listening on my PC in my office, which has powered Dynaudio monitors, and the remainder of my listening, about 3/4, with either my Truthear or Salnotes wired IEMs or my Sennheiser wireless IEMs from my phone.

If we just talk about music, it's about 50% on my IEMs, and about 25% each on my monitors and my living room system.
I'd say this poll is about music listening, so you'd choose IEM's I reckon.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Rick Sykora , are you sure you don't mean more in relation to "music listening"? If you mean total time using any kind of speakers then that means I'd have to change my vote from headphones to Speakers 2.x, because I do all my TV & Movie watching using that, whilst most of my music listening is on my headphones. Shall I change it? It's your poll so want to get it right for you!

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Rick Sykora , are you sure you don't mean more in relation to "music listening"? If you mean total time using any kind of speakers then that means I'd have to change my vote from headphones to Speakers 2.x, because I do all my TV & Movie watching using that, whilst most of my music listening is on my headphones. Shall I change it? It's your poll so want to get it right for you!

Thanks for asking, but intended audio to be more than just music.

I have added info to the initial thread post to hopefully clarify.

Last edited:

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I listen through a 2.1 system that prolly is $5k *if* you were to buy the components new, but can be now acquired for less than half (at least) with used components that still look great. I know because I bought used "like new" replacement components "just in case" in the used market.

I also have a $40k stereo system (when new ~20 years ago) in storage that is either obsolete or simply does not sound good in my current environment. I also have $5k DAC and amplification elements I used initially, but have not rotated back in and are in the market, because I prefer the more compact system referenced above.

PS: I assume we're talking about our main audio shrine at home. I'd assume the average audio-ambitioned person has multiple sources in different rooms, at work etc etc.

Last edited:

AudioX3

I leverage my 7.1 system for movie and only use 2 of the speakers for audio. I pre out the audio speakers to higher quantity amp while the surrounding speakers are either mini amps or receiver amp. My critical system use a 7.1 pre pro lexicon mc8 while secondary just a receiver. So my answer is hybrid.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have few loud speaker systems in the house. Which is my preferred method of consuming music.

When I used to commute to work, I would listen to music with IEM during the commute. I no longer have to commute, so glad those days are behind me.

Bleib

Major Contributor
2.0 on PC, 2.0 main stereo with TV, 2.0 headphones on PC, 5.0 through AVR...

AdamG

Forum Donor
I put down headphones even though I have a fairly good 2.1 speaker system. When it comes to music listening I tend to use headphones more, but the 2.1 speaker system is hooked up to my TV so that is literally used all the time for TV & Movies and sometimes for music, but still I use my headphones more when it comes to listening to music.
Sounds like 10 might fit. When this is done we will probably create a new poll to unravel the multiple categories choice.

AdamG

Forum Donor
Thanks for asking, but intended audio to be more than just music.

I have added info to the initial thread post to hopefully clarify.
263 votes in 4 hours so we’re off to a good start. I can see some refinements in the categories already. Keep giving us your thoughts and opinions. :cool:

Top Bottom