• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Poll for Topping PA5 owners only please.

Is your Topping PA5 amp defective?

• Yes

Votes: 123 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 123 50.0%

• Total voters

surprisehanging

I just got the dreaded rustling leaves problem in the right channel.... So is sending it back to China my only recourse?

terrys999

I just got the dreaded rustling leaves problem in the right channel.... So is sending it back to China my only recourse?
Dam
Another one failed.
Hrmmm there’s something not good here, where the hell is john wang whatever his name is.

He should be investing.

This amp was amazing, I mean it was so clear really good sound. I have sent 2 back.
I dare not buy another this has put me off topping.
It feels like a right kick in the bo.....

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why would you expect more replies? Do you honestly think the majority of owners are on this forum or even another forum?
Most people who have a product issue don't take the time to join a forum, let alone spend time to create a thread or go through reading a thread and then responding.
Honestly, don't you think the majority of people who get a malfunctioning product usually just return it or some may get it repaired. People are usually already aggravated enough about said malfunctioning product, spending time trying to diagnose the cause, contacting seller and or manufacturer. At that point, they just want to be done with it and get their money back. The average consumer doesn't want to waste more of their time going to online forums and discussing it.
I think the poll numbers and lack of any input by Topping or @JohnYang1997 is very telling. I mean if a designer and company rep is more than happy to come on and discuss when their product is receiving praise, but then is completely absent when there are issues, tells some folks all they need to know in regards to future purchases.
You may be right. And I am disappointed by the lack of response from Topping. To answer your question. My first reaction when anything goes wrong with anything is to search the issue online. That is not a good reason for thinking that’s normal. I made an argument from ignorance complaining about an argument from ignorance. Not a good look. I should have limited myself to we don’t know anything about the issue except 32 people accounts have stated they have issues with the amp. Info from Topping or @JohnYang1997 would be nice.

raest

i think THE most telling fact in this whole mess about how much Topping and John care about their customers and this issue, is that @JohnYang1997 cares more about posting about Topping products in a Sabaj thread, than saying anything about this issue in any of the threads about what he supposedly claimed as "his baby".

i don't know about you, but if i made any product that i could claim were "my baby", you can be damned sure i would have done everything in my power to be one of the first replies in a thread (on what is arguably the most important forum for the promotion of my brand in the west) about (potentially widespread) issues with "my baby" to at least say "i'm sorry, we're investigating" or anything, really. anything.

very telling

Bluesman

I also commented on how mine was running brilliantly
Ha I jinxed it
2 days later hissing rustling leaves sound then left channel ,
Had replacement that went tits up too.

Bluesman. To remove the jinx dance in your street naked. Make sure it’s after 12 am.
Jinx will be removed haha .
Is it working?...Lol

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1597853187431.jpg
    FB_IMG_1597853187431.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 53

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
i think THE most telling fact in this whole mess about how much Topping and John care about their customers and this issue, is that @JohnYang1997 cares more about posting about Topping products in a Sabaj thread, than saying anything about this issue in any of the threads about what he supposedly claimed as "his baby".

i don't know about you, but if i made any product that i could claim were "my baby", you can be damned sure i would have done everything in my power to be one of the first replies in a thread (on what is arguably the most important forum for the promotion of my brand in the west) about (potentially widespread) issues with "my baby" to at least say "i'm sorry, we're investigating" or anything, really. anything.

very telling

JohnYang is commenting on his latest 'baby' HPA/Preamp Amir just reviewed a few minutes ago...

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
JohnYang is commenting on his latest 'baby' HPA/Preamp Amir just reviewed a few minutes ago...

It is frustrating, his lack of comments here. Even if was to say, ” I am not commenting on this thread because X”, it would at least be something. The silence is disheartening.

Sokel

Master Contributor
The silence is disheartening.
Topping guys seem to be good engineers,it's impossible not to have already identify the cause of the problem with their products.

So the silence is not dishearting,is more of an admission that nothing can be done and they go on with the future products hoping that the disappointing matter will eventually be forgotten.

After all they are not our friends,they are a company focused on profit like any other,they only differ in the the hard-way earned lessons the older companies have already learned.

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Let's not be too harsh here. They did deliver some fabulous stuff so far. Even the PA5 seems to be plagued with a particular component which is in the supply chain.

For instance my E30 died few days ago (Out of warranty) with E-d Error, I was using a RAV Power multi USB plug (Could be the culprit). Spoke to Shenzhen and then Topping. Topping advised me to send the unit across (UK to China) which I did. I sent it without tracking which eventually was lost in the post. They sent me a brand new replacement (Paid $15 for postage) out of goodwill.

Reactions: ENG

Frank Sol

Let's not be too harsh here. They did deliver some fabulous stuff so far.

I agree with many past fine products... Between me and one of my sons , we own 7 Topping products mainly because of ASR's tests & measurements. Neither of us want to take future risk of 100% complete silence *IF* one of their products go bad. Silence from John & amirm is disturbing. Again , Just Me

Sokel

Master Contributor
I have only bought one,a little DAC as a gift to my nephew,kind of welcome to hi-fi gift.It still works fine after a year,no complains.
Let me be clear,I have nothing against that kind of products.For the asking price are little wonders even if the hustle if something goes wrong is possible.
What I'm really afraid off,is not the device itself but what happens with my speakers for example (in case is an amp,like here) when the terror occurs.

Peace of mind is the greatest thing in enjoying our gear,everything else comes way after.

MAB

Major Contributor
Let's not be too harsh here. They did deliver some fabulous stuff so far. Even the PA5 seems to be plagued with a particular component which is in the supply chain.

For instance my E30 died few days ago (Out of warranty) with E-d Error, I was using a RAV Power multi USB plug (Could be the culprit). Spoke to Shenzhen and then Topping. Topping advised me to send the unit across (UK to China) which I did. I sent it without tracking which eventually was lost in the post. They sent me a brand new replacement (Paid $15 for postage) out of goodwill.
Wow. Totally the opposite experience I had with Shenzhen Audio. They ran me in circles, made me take several videos of the unit mis-operating, made me send it at my own expense from US to China, lost it on their end, and said there was nothing to be done since it was lost. And all the while Topping/John Yang is silent, won't even return the message I sent him. It would be hard to buy a device from Topping again at this point, since they don't seem to be selling products. Products have support, and warranty service.

terrys999

Dam that’s bad.
Definitely don’t trust em. Imagine spending top money for high end topping dac. And they lost it in repair ect.

Only manufacturers I trust is RME. Fantastic German made dac. And audiolab ect.
This world is going to sh..

Sent 2 phones back to amazon, reseller refund 1 only fighting to get other refunded, phones were a day old. Kept freezing up. And they were crap Chinese concoctions.

Sneaky sneaky.

The thing is, if we are being ignored by topping then the pa fault must be engineering problem.
Hard to fix and an expense for them
Disgusting.
Ha as if people will buy the a90 amp after this lemon.
Not me for sure

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Silence from John & amirm is disturbing. Again , Just Me

Absolutely disturbing.

The fact that products from Topping are still being accepted, and then given glowing reviews by Amir in the face of stony silence from the manufacturer/member in relation to major reliability issues, is a terrible look.

It significantly damages both the credibility of the reviewer, his reviews, the site in general, the member concerned and of course, the Topping brand. There remains no addendum to the original review, stating there are unresolved, ongoing issues with reliability and customer support- something that should be done as an absolute bare minimum.

Last edited:

Selkirks

Absolutely disturbing.

The fact that products from Topping are still being accepted, and then given glowing reviews by Amir in the face of stony silence from the manufacturer/member in relation to major reliability issues, is a terrible look.

It significantly damages both the credibility of the reviewer, his reviews, the site in general, the member concerned and of course, the Topping brand. There remains no addendum to the original review, stating there are unresolved, ongoing issues with reliability and customer support- something that should be done as an absolute bare minimum.

Well said.

The entire situation is disturbing.

Top Bottom