• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Polk R100 bookshelf speaker (review by Erin)

Transmaniacon

Sub
Subjectively, I owned the R100, currently own the R200 and I am looking very very hard at the R700. Comparing the R100 and 200, they both tonally sound the same but a 5 inch woofer is never going to give you the same impact of a 6. The R100 crumbles at higher volumes, starting to scream and shout, losing composure real quick. The R200 remains composed at the same volume, they almost sound like different speakers at this point. The R100 can take a lot of power, dont get me wrong but its going to sound sissified against the bigger brother. I dont really usually like smaller neutral speakers (especially 4 inchers) they sound boring as hell, and the R100 is on the edge of that line. With or without a sub, Ill deifinitely take the R200s anytime anyday, maily because of how it handles power. The R700 will most probably be my end game speakers, amplification is goin to cost my left nut though.
Ive got a mint Parasound HCA-1500a that I got on USAudioMart for $400, it will put out 300 watts/channel @ 4ohms and doesn’t break a sweat ever. You can certainly find great value on the used market and it would have no issue making those R700s sing.

MarkWinston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ive got a mint Parasound HCA-1500a that I got on USAudioMart for $400, it will put out 300 watts/channel @ 4ohms and doesn’t break a sweat ever. You can certainly find great value on the used market and it would have no issue making those R700s sing.
Im light years away from the states and I doubt I can find Parasound for that kind of price. I wished I could. I think I gotta find for the amp before actually buying the R700s but man, the R700s got me itchy as hell.

mhardy6647

Master Contributor
... as of last night, there's a fine looking pair of R600s (not R700s, but, still...) on sale by a long-timer at the Polk forums (in tidewater VA) for what appears to be an attractive price. I am just sayin'. ;)

(oh, and zero affiliation, other than my four-plus decade Polk fanboi status)

sdiver68

The R200 remains composed at the same volume, they almost sound like different speakers at this point. The R100 can take a lot of power, dont get me wrong but its going to sound sissified against its bigger brother.

Ironic there's another active thread with many claiming size doesn't matter...lol

In this case after crossing the sub over slightly higher for the R100 the remaining difference should be the crossover.

jamu09

Want opinion between Wharfdale diamond 12.1 and Polk R100. Please suggest.

Top Bottom