• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Polk R100 bookshelf speaker (review by Erin)

Transmaniacon

Sub
Subjectively, I owned the R100, currently own the R200 and I am looking very very hard at the R700. Comparing the R100 and 200, they both tonally sound the same but a 5 inch woofer is never going to give you the same impact of a 6. The R100 crumbles at higher volumes, starting to scream and shout, losing composure real quick. The R200 remains composed at the same volume, they almost sound like different speakers at this point. The R100 can take a lot of power, dont get me wrong but its going to sound sissified against the bigger brother. I dont really usually like smaller neutral speakers (especially 4 inchers) they sound boring as hell, and the R100 is on the edge of that line. With or without a sub, Ill deifinitely take the R200s anytime anyday, maily because of how it handles power. The R700 will most probably be my end game speakers, amplification is goin to cost my left nut though.
Ive got a mint Parasound HCA-1500a that I got on USAudioMart for $400, it will put out 300 watts/channel @ 4ohms and doesn’t break a sweat ever. You can certainly find great value on the used market and it would have no issue making those R700s sing.

MarkWinston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ive got a mint Parasound HCA-1500a that I got on USAudioMart for $400, it will put out 300 watts/channel @ 4ohms and doesn’t break a sweat ever. You can certainly find great value on the used market and it would have no issue making those R700s sing.
Im light years away from the states and I doubt I can find Parasound for that kind of price. I wished I could. I think I gotta find for the amp before actually buying the R700s but man, the R700s got me itchy as hell.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
... as of last night, there's a fine looking pair of R600s (not R700s, but, still...) on sale by a long-timer at the Polk forums (in tidewater VA) for what appears to be an attractive price. I am just sayin'. ;)

(oh, and zero affiliation, other than my four-plus decade Polk fanboi status)

sdiver68

The R200 remains composed at the same volume, they almost sound like different speakers at this point. The R100 can take a lot of power, dont get me wrong but its going to sound sissified against its bigger brother.

Ironic there's another active thread with many claiming size doesn't matter...lol

In this case after crossing the sub over slightly higher for the R100 the remaining difference should be the crossover.

jamu09

Want opinion between Wharfdale diamond 12.1 and Polk R100. Please suggest.

warpdrive

Want opinion between Wharfdale diamond 12.1 and Polk R100. Please suggest.

the R100 is a brighter speaker but the 12.1 has a dip in the mids which causes a more laid back sound. So there two very different speakers. Which do you prefer? I think I would prefer R100 because I don't mind a wee bit of treble emphasis, with my ears not what they used to be in the highs. I don't mind a bit more "sizzle" especially if I'm not listening at higher volumes. I think if you were to use the R100 at full listening volume, the highs could be annoying after a while.

warpdrive

So I got the R100 and am comparing them against the Wharfedale Diamond and I do hear the additional treble compared to the Wharfedale Diamond. It's not objectionable at the volumes I listen to though. I feel it capture the details of high hat/cymbals more realistically. The Diamonds sound a bit too laid back at lower volumes, I always feel like I need to raise the volume. I am using the speakers nearfield or seated pretty close overall and that's where the Diamonds work best because the on-axis is clear and flat.

AudioScience Enthusiast

The tweeter was not DOA, but developed a crackling sound after about 2 months.

Subjectively, I owned the R100, currently own the R200 and I am looking very very hard at the R700... The R100 crumbles at higher volumes, starting to scream and shout, losing composure real quick. The R200 remains composed at the same volume, they almost sound like different speakers at this point.

Strangely my R100 has "crackling distortions" on specific sections of tracks, not even at high volumes.

Initially I thought it was just me, but finally I stumbled onto a song without a lot of background instruments that allows me to clearly hear this issue.

Initially I thought the distortions came from the track mastering, but I tested this on other devices, eg. car stereo, earphones, Sonos, and I could not hear this distortion. I also thought it might be my M10 V2 amp but I have ensured no DSP and no Room Correction are set on the amp itself and Roon.

Could owners with R100 and streaming service test a track called "Quiet" by Milck? The voice distortion become quite obvious between 2:22 and 2:50. This is ironic considered the title of the song :D

I am just wondering if the distortions are due to design limitations or I have a bad pair?

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Strangely my R100 has "crackling distortions" on specific sections of tracks, not even at high volumes.

Initially I thought it was just me, but finally I stumbled onto a song without a lot of background instruments that allows me to clearly hear this issue.

Initially I thought the distortions came from the track mastering, but I tested this on other devices, eg. car stereo, earphones, Sonos, and I could not hear this distortion. I also thought it might be my M10 V2 amp but I have ensured no DSP and no Room Correction are set on the amp itself and Roon.

Could owners with R100 and streaming service test a track called "Quiet" by Milck? The voice distortion become quite obvious between 2:22 and 2:50. This is ironic considered the title of the song :D

I am just wondering if the distortions are due to design limitations or I have a bad pair?
Is it just 1 speaker or both speakers?

AudioScience Enthusiast

Phew.. false alarm. I traced the problem to Roon.

If I play tracks directly from Tidal, then no distortions.

But the same Tidal tracks if played within Roon, then there is horrible distortion.

Good to know the problems did not come from my amazing Polk R100s :cool:

vampire

I'm a newb in this field and need your help to choose which speaker suits my needs, R100 or R200, for my 2.1 HT.
I used mobile app DecibelX and found that my max listening level is 72db, measured in sitting position, 13 feet away from speaker.
amp: wiim amp with hdmi
uses: 90% tv/youtube/movies - 10% music

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Here's the comparison:
both.gif

both2.gif

R100:
Tonality (Preference) Score is 5.49 and would be 7.96 with a perfect subwoofer.
Tonality (Preference) Score is 6.23 with an EQ and would be 8.59 with a perfect subwoofer and the same EQ.

R200:
Tonality (Preference) Score is 5.07 and would be 7.59 with a perfect subwoofer.
Tonality (Preference) Score is 5.83 with an EQ and would be 8.25 with a perfect subwoofer and the same EQ.

My pick: R100, with a sub and EQ

Last edited:

beaRA

Here's the comparison:
View attachment 339586

View attachment 339587

R100:
Tonality (Preference) Score is 5.49 and would be 7.96 with a perfect subwoofer.
Tonality (Preference) Score is 6.23 with an EQ and would be 8.59 with a perfect subwoofer and the same EQ.

R200:
Tonality (Preference) Score is 5.07 and would be 7.59 with a perfect subwoofer.
Tonality (Preference) Score is 5.83 with an EQ and would be 8.25 with a perfect subwoofer and the same EQ.

My pick: R100, with a sub and EQ
The R200 results have never made sense to me in comparison to the R100. Somehow the speaker with the larger cabinet and larger midwoofer has less bass extension and lower sensitivity?

Top Bottom