• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pioneer VSX-LX505 AVR Review

Rate this AVR:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 163 66.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 45 18.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 34 13.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 5 2.0%

• Total voters

Drunkinho

Ok. Looks like that power usage changes are related to the volume/power needed. I've increased volume to -15dB and power usage spiked back to the previous levels.
Around 80W.
Lower volume - lower power usage.
Higher volume - higher power usage.
I guess amp does not need full power and it is lowering power usage after some time when I use lower volume.

popej

I guess amp does not need full power and it is lowering power usage after some time when I use lower volume.
Similar functionality has Denon, but one has to switch it on in settings. It is a good solution IMO.

Drunkinho

Yup. But it looks like that this functionality is enabling automatically in Pioneer.
No such switch in settings or in manual.

MbphotoX

Would be great to know what it is that the relays is switching off, then..
Because that sudden drop in power is quite immense..
Does the amplifier switch from Class A to AB mode or something?

popej

Could a user please explain how "personal presets" work?

Is it possible to select which settings are registered as preset? For example register bass/treble but not the input source.
Do presets register Dirac slot?
Do preset buttons turn power on?

BJL

Could a user please explain how "personal presets" work?

Is it possible to select which settings are registered as preset? For example register bass/treble but not the input source.
Do presets register Dirac slot?
Do preset buttons turn power on?
When setting the preset with the app:

1. The preset will capture all parameters including the input source when setting the preset.
2. Yes.
3. On the app, no. You have to first power the unit. On the remote, I don't know, I never used it.

tbob22

Would be great to know what it is that the relays is switching off, then..
Because that sudden drop in power is quite immense..
Does the amplifier switch from Class A to AB mode or something?
I noticed something like this on my NR7100 as well. At high listening levels (-3db 95db+ output not including subs) I've also noticed a click in the surround speakers occasionally. I should use my kill a watt to see if the power drops. I can't say I've noticed any issues in terms of power output during actual listening with 4 ohm speakers (speaker setting at 8 ohm). I did add two 120mm fans on top just to be safe.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
I noticed something like this on my NR7100 as well. At high listening levels (-3db 95db+ output not including subs) I've also noticed a click in the surround speakers occasionally. I should use my kill a watt to see if the power drops. I can't say I've noticed any issues in terms of power output during actual listening with 4 ohm speakers (speaker setting at 8 ohm). I did add two 120mm fans on top just to be safe.
My almost identical Integra 3.4 runs so cool, I decided that additional active cooling was pointless (and might increase dust accumulation)...

Heat seems to be a truly resolved problem for the Onkyo family.

On the other hand what exactly happens when those relays switch, is till a mystery

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you are interested these are some pretty neatO and effective fan assemblies for your specific application.

tbob22

If you are interested these are some pretty neatO and effective fan assemblies for your specific application.
I have seen those, I prefer just the simpler models in most cases though - my cabinet is semi open so I just have them as exhaust and it keeps things very cool. I also use them on the TV's around the house and other electronics. I also use USB to 4pin fan headers to be able to use standard computer fans and a USB AC adapter.

tbob22

My almost identical Integra 3.4 runs so cool, I decided that additional active cooling was pointless (and might increase dust accumulation)...

Heat seems to be a truly resolved problem for the Onkyo family.

On the other hand what exactly happens when those relays switch, is till a mystery
Dust isn't really a concern for me - I regularly blow out my electronics and use several air purifiers. I've found after many years of building PC's that good airflow is key to extending the life of the system, it may not really be an issue on these amps but I don't think it hurts.

I've had a couple of amps that didn't have fans or they wouldn't run often enough which caused failure many years ago - one I replaced the mosfets after only 2 years of use and added a fan that always runs (went through several fans), it's been in use for about 15 years since without any issue in the family room.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have seen those, I prefer just the simpler models in most cases though - my cabinet is semi open so I just have them as exhaust and it keeps things very cool. I also use them on the TV's around the house and other electronics. I also use USB to 4pin fan headers to be able to use standard computer fans and a USB AC adapter.

Very cool. How do you power the fans that you use? If USB what is your method etc?

tbob22

Very cool. How do you power the fans that you use? If USB what is your method etc?
If using USB I just use a phone charger or at USB port on the electronics it's cooling, most fans will still spin fast enough at 5v to move a good amount of air. The AC Infinity is specifically designed around USB and it has a speed adjustment, it moves quite a bit of air even on low.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If using USB I just use a phone charger or at USB port on the electronics it's cooling, most fans will still spin fast enough at 5v to move a good amount of air. The AC Infinity is specifically designed around USB and it has a speed adjustment, it moves quite a bit of air even on low.
IC... Neat. :D

SlaughterX

I should probably invest in one (or more) of those for my Denon 6700. Swear you can cook an egg on that thing.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I should probably invest in one (or more) of those for my Denon 6700. Swear you can cook an egg on that thing.
Roughly speaking for every 10C increase in the temperature the life expectancy is reduced by ~70%. So yes, a cooler is a good thing. :D

EWL5

Can anyone using DL on their 505 confirm that they don't have "Bass Management" as shown in the yellow rectangle in the pic below?

BassManage.jpg

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
Can anyone using DL on their 505 confirm that they don't have "Bass Management" as shown in the yellow rectangle in the pic below?

View attachment 356944

I do not see an option for 'Bass Management' in the 'Pioneer Remote' app for iOS that I use to enable Dirac LIve on my Pioneer Elite VSX-LX505 AVR.

MbphotoX

Using the Dirac Live Software for Windows, I cannot see that Option either.

The Bass Control for a single Subwoofer is an additional 349$ but, afaik, not available for the Pioneer VSX-LX505?
(Dirac Live also doesn'tlist the VSX-LX505 as an option when selecting packages.. you cannot buy upgrades to Dirac Live on the Pioneer)

To get the regular Dirac Live for a Denon, you pay 349$
If you want Bass Management AND regular Dirac, it's a bundle offer for 649$
(that's for just a single subwoofer, though. The Denon can control multiple subs individually.. so you're looking at 799$ for the bundle.. yay)
At that price, the Pioneer VSX-LX805 is a better offer over getting the Denon X4800H + Dirac

Top Bottom