• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Peachtree amp500 Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 47 19.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 166 68.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 25 10.3%

• Total voters

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi.

Biased against Peachtree's High End-Audiophile-with-"Lifestyle"-inclinations' offerings. I was ready to pounce.. Have to retreat...
Good showing: Tons of power, audibly transparent, fairly priced amplifier.
Kudos to Peachtree..
... and that'll teach me against biases of any kind :facepalm:

Happy holidays!

Peace.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Not happy with the company advertising 20 dB higher SNR, this is not a sample to sample kind of thing, specially considering that there are no power supply artefacts in Amir’s dashboard.
Yes and no though, not a sample to sample thing, but as discussed before in many other thread, to compare numbers, you have to clearly know the testing conditions and in this case, their spec is A-Weighted, Amir is not, Amir mentioned measuring dynamic range at "full power" but what is it, peak? AES17? at what THD?, etc. Bottom line, yes, most if not all manufacturers will show specifications in a way that makes them somehow look good, and yes part of that is a marketing strategy, but you'll be ever frustrated if you try to compare specs by specs that's not what these reviews are designed to do, you simply cannot do these comparisons and it's not the manufacturers that are to blame, it's the fact that there are no firm standards in place and enforced. Straight up lying in specs is something that should be pointed out, but we have to be careful of using these measurments here to call out everybody as dishonest. ASR is not the end all of measurments and specifications, there's a lot of wiggle room on how it's performed. And marketing is not illegal...In this case, props to Peachtree, at least they give you some metrics to know instead of a single number (left column), that's already more transparent than most...
1671627111124.png

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes and no though, not a sample to sample thing, but as discussed before in many other thread, to compare numbers, you have to clearly know the testing conditions and in this case, their spec is A-Weighted, Amir is not, Amir mentioned measuring dynamic range at "full power" but what is it, peak? AES17? at what THD?, etc. Bottom line, yes, most if not all manufacturers will show specifications in a way that makes them somehow look good, and yes part of that is a marketing strategy, but you'll be ever frustrated if you try to compare specs by specs that's not what these reviews are designed to do, you simply cannot do these comparisons and it's not the manufacturers that are to blame, it's the fact that there are no firm standards in place and enforced. Straight up lying in specs is something that should be pointed out, but we have to be careful of using these measurments here to call out everybody as dishonest. ASR is not the end all of measurments and specifications, there's a lot of wiggle room on how it's performed. And marketing is not illegal...In this case, props to Peachtree, at least they give you some metrics to know instead of a single number (left column), that's already more transparent than most...
View attachment 251477

A-weighting would not add 20dB of SNR. Specially since there is nothing in the spectrum that suggests that there will be any kind of improvement. Even Doubling the power of the device would add a mere 6 dB of noise performance.

20dB extra is just false advertisement.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Where do you see the noise spectrum in this dashboard?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Where do you see the noise spectrum in this dashboard?

The dashboard has the noise, signal and harmonics. We know what the harmonics are, we know what the signal is, so the only thing is left is noise. and for the most part it seems to be frequency independent meaning that A-weighting is not going to bring this magical 20dB increase.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
20 years ago, to get this type of Power and performance you would have had to sell your Car and maybe take out a second mortgage. So Wow we have come such a long way in terms of what you can get for your money today. We indeed are very fortunate that today’s market is so much more Customer focused and the value proposition has never been better. Hot diggity Damn!

Sokel

Master Contributor
A-weighting would not add 20dB of SNR. Specially since there is nothing in the spectrum that suggests that there will be any kind of improvement. Even Doubling the power of the device would add a mere 6 dB of noise performance.

This figure probably comes from this:

DR.PNG

That's the module's spec's (some of tons,they present pretty much everything)
Generally honest as we saw in Amir's measurements even with the "audiophile class A" Peachtree's buffer.
Don't know what happens with DR though.

Last edited:

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Looks like they are just quoting the ICEpower datasheet which shows 123 dB unweighted and 127 dB A-weighted.

1671630255547.png

I've found that the ICEpower 300A2 datasheet (also an ICEedge design) is accurate and those modules are lower noise than Hypex NC252MP modules.

Amir's SNR and THD+N sweeps suggest unweighted residual noise, 20 Hz to 22 kHz at around 200 uV. ICEpower uses slightly lower bandwidth in their measurement but that should not be enough to add 150+ uV noise.

Seems likely that their "custom design class-A input stage" has degraded noise performance pretty significantly compared to the base module.

Michael

Godataloss

I think these are one of the nicer looking amplifiers of the type out there and it would be a huge mistake for Peachtree to abandon a trademark look. It's a modern timeless design that outclasses any other amp at its price point.
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Peachtree amp500 stereo amplifier. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $1,499.
View attachment 251443
The amp500 comes in the same packaging of many previous Peachtree products. I wish company would innovate here as the design looks kind of dated. Then again it is very unique. This amplifier comes with balanced inputs which I very much like:
View attachment 251444

id.ray

Thanks you, I'm digging the new power on pop test. Is there a way to cover damping factor too? or can you explain why or why you don't test for it .

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Very good performance and great power.
I rated this 'great' along a couple other folks it looks like.
I just feel at a certain power output level things get great real fast.
I'd prefer high power over some other aspects.
If you just want a high power amp and don't want pro gear or DIY, this works.
There are not many options with this much power, overpriced but oh well.

Hipster Doofus

Forum Donor
Thanks @amirm. Some IceEdge 1200AS2 integration, which performs mostly as expected (equals: the datasheet). I lived with this module for about one year and it was obviously able to power anything.
I would suggest tho, to look at cheaper assembled 1200AS2 amps with the exact same performance. ;)
Can u mention such 1200as2 amps please

threni

Major Contributor

Hipster Doofus

Forum Donor
As always thanks… it nice to see a legacy company still competing, the looks at the time of the companies onset we’re quite striking and still lends itself to the newer Chinese minimalist with a danish flair, which suggest some value for the money, and hey maybe some old fashion wood or wood veneer to warm the unit up a bit.( anything but black or silver again lol)

And then there is the 500 watts! I am using a Topping PA 5 to push some great B&W 801 matrix 80. Which works amazing well and pretty loud but I always wonder if I am missing something in the power catorgory?

actual question….. Does this mean I can buy one of these ( or a clone) instead of 2 benchmarks or 2 topping mono blocks and still get decent distortion to power trade off.

thank you.
4B366169-3727-4EFA-8BFF-F9D01451E42D.jpeg

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Looks to me like frequency response starts to deviate from flat at about 5KHz and dives from there. I wouldn't call it flat, especially when compared to that of other amps like those from Hypex and Purifi.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Can u mention such 1200as2 amps please
Here's a couple,currently out of stock which is strange cause the module itself seems in stock where I got it:

I got it from here along with the 300a2 which I hooked on it:

Top Bottom