• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Op Amp Rolling

D

Deleted member 48726

I wish my ears were good enough to hear the kind of differences shown there.
You do??
I'm perfectly happy with my crappy ones.. I can't even tell if I'm listening to spotify, flac or cd. :cool:

But maybe I could tell the difference beetween a -110 and -120 dB noise floor? We may never know.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You do??
I'm perfectly happy with my crappy ones.. I can't even tell if I'm listening to spotify, flac or cd. :cool:

But maybe I could tell the difference beetween a -110 and -120 dB noise floor? We may never know.
It might be interesting. If nothing else, I could mess up Archimago's listening tests :D

Pluto

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Back in the day when analogue consoles were the norm (and, even now, if analogue consoles are used for reasons of fashion) chances are that the signal has passed through, literally, dozens of NE5534 devices before it even leaves the studio.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Back in the day when analogue consoles were the norm (and, even now, if analogue consoles are used for reasons of fashion) chances are that the signal has passed through, literally, dozens of NE5534 devices before it even leaves the studio.
Yes, it's a dirty little secret that audiophiles don't like hearing.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
Well, darn it, got my "free for evaluation" Burson Audio V6 VIVID dual op amps today, and as I feared, they won't work in the original Aiyima A04 or A07 - small surrounding caps are too close for the bigger VIVID amps, even with the lifters. Anyone know if these will fit in the A07 MAX? Looks like there is more cap room around the sockets there, but the case is not very deep. Failing that, are there any of the new crop of amps that has a taller case that can accommodate these?

Ifrit

That's if it's a really fancy console. 072 are more like the norm.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, darn it, got my "free for evaluation" Burson Audio V6 VIVID dual op amps today, and as I feared, they won't work in the original Aiyima A04 or A07 - small surrounding caps are too close for the bigger VIVID amps, even with the lifters. Anyone know if these will fit in the A07 MAX? Looks like there is more cap room around the sockets there, but the case is not very deep. Failing that, are there any of the new crop of amps that has a taller case that can accommodate these?
Have you not read this thread at all.

In an amp changing the op amp is incredibly unlikely to make any audible difference at all - and if it does is likely to make things worse.

It is a waste of time - and if you buy an amp specifically to fit these ridiculously sized op amps, a waste of money.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Replace the two op-amps with

You do not need a riser. There are YouTube Videos on it
The 30% off sale may still be going
Ah yes, the Sparkos SS3602 ended up being my preferred op amp in my VTV Purify Stereo amp with VTV I/O buffer board after trying several different op amps. BTW, those I tried included the Burson V6 Vivid which I found a tad warm and slightly lacking in detail.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
Have you not read this thread at all.

In an amp changing the op amp is incredibly unlikely to make any audible difference at all - and if it does is likely to make things worse.

It is a waste of time - and if you buy an amp specifically to fit these ridiculously sized op amps, a waste of money.
Well, yeah, I wouldn't have bought them. But Burson offered them for free. I was going to do a test setup with my "sacrificial" speakers first to make sure no oscillations.

I'm hoping they have someone else I can send them to here in the US, as I don't think they will work with anything I have.

Didn't intend to buy a new amp just to fit the opamps... Just curious if any current mini-amps actually have enough space for them.

Remember, some of us are highly skeptical about this stuff, but still willing to experiment a bit.

mikemag

For me, these articles are my bible of op amps info

mikemag

I always replace any 4558 in the audio path, its a poor op amp
i replace it with one of these and they are so low priced I feel great doing it

Attachments

• IMG_3950.jpeg
    IMG_3950.jpeg
    678.7 KB · Views: 76

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

This one (myths and facts) should be compulsory reading for anyone considering swapping op amps.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I always replace any 4558 in the audio path, its a poor op amp
Just out of interest, have you ever validated such a change with measurements, or (very difficult in the case of op amp rolling) a controlled blind test.

mikemag

Just out of interest, have you ever validated such a change with measurements, or (very difficult in the case of op amp rolling) a controlled blind test.
There is no need for me to do that, experts far smarter than I have proven how poor it is using quality equipment that I do not own

Attachments

• IMG_3951.jpeg
    IMG_3951.jpeg
    426.5 KB · Views: 68

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There is no need for me to do that, experts far smarter than I have proven how poor it is using quality equipment that I do not own
Nothing there says anything about the audiblity of the poor performance. I'd be interested in how that poor performance translates to a real audible impact on the output of a DAC or Amp.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

This is measurable with a microphone, big difference. I posted the electrical measurements here.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It cost me less than $2 to do this upgrade so at worst it’s cheap fun !
Of course.

But that doesn't answer if it is actually worth doing - let's say if you weren't getting enjoyment just from the swapping process.

Personally I'm pretty skeptical. In his provided measurements, even the lowly TL074 has noise down at redbook level and distortion well below what most people can hear.

Top Bottom