• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Onkyo TX-RZ50 Review (Home Theater AVR)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 96 31.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 116 37.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 63 20.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 31 10.1%

• Total voters

Dougey_Jones

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks for the reply! It does sound a bit weird that you would get rid of the RZ50 when you liked its sound - usually people get rid of things they don't like or are broken.

Don't movies, shows, and other content have musical soundtracks in them? I just found the statements a bit contradictory as clearly you've been forced to listen to a lot of music on a piece of equipment that you'd never bother listening to music on.

Anyway, I hope the AV41 and Synthesis deliver better music.
Seeing as that you ignored the part about all balanced outputs and DLBC, I wouldn’t expect you to understand the difference in use cases.

ArturoKiwi

I recently sold my RZ50 and the person that I sold it to is asking me if they need my Dirac Live account password in order to utilize Dirac.. I think with the RZ50, Dirac is attached to the hardware and serial number, shouldn't they just be able to create a new Dirac Live account and when they launch the application it will authenticate the license over their home network?

Just wanted to confirm my logic here, because I know it's different with other brands (Emotiva).
I'm not sure, but I think that you have to notify Dirac that that serial number or MAC address is no more associated to your email/account, but to the new one

shap

Have the initial concerns been address with software updates? I'm able to pick one of these up for $750 and plan to use for a 7.1 and pre-out LRC to an Anthem Statement A5, but these comments and review do not look good. My denon is looping mute on/off nonstop so need something quick.

EWL5

Have the initial concerns been address with software updates? I'm able to pick one of these up for $750 and plan to use for a 7.1 and pre-out LRC to an Anthem Statement A5, but these comments and review do not look good. My denon is looping mute on/off nonstop so need something quick.
The biggest concern from Amir can't be addressed by software updates. You're getting the Dirac Live for free housed in a lower-tier receiver. That's why I always found it funny that folks think the RZ50 and Denon 3800 are direct competitors based on retail price alone!

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you can buy an RZ50 for $750 I would quickly. I paid almost $1500 for mine and love it. Sounds great and I've had very few issues, most of which were user error. I have a set up where I bypass the AVR for 2 channel music as well but once DL is engaged, along w/ the 2 subs there's such an improvement it's no contest. The 2 channel system does sound "different" but not better to my ears. If you want more info go to the thread for this AVR at AVS Forum. Here is the link. https://www.avsforum.com/threads/2021-onkyo-tx-rz50-owners-thread-nr7100-owners-welcome.3227263/

techsamurai

If you can buy an RZ50 for $750 I would quickly. I paid almost $1500 for mine and love it. Sounds great and I've had very few issues, most of which were user error. I have a set up where I bypass the AVR for 2 channel music as well but once DL is engaged, along w/ the 2 subs there's such an improvement it's no contest. The 2 channel system does sound "different" but not better to my ears. If you want more info go to the thread for this AVR at AVS Forum. Here is the link. https://www.avsforum.com/threads/2021-onkyo-tx-rz50-owners-thread-nr7100-owners-welcome.3227263/

I drove my FR bi-amped with the RZ50 in full range and blasted U96's Das Boot DJ Mellow Mix (the intro is great and the point after the 5th minute has amazing bass on a timed basis with high pitched highs). It was very impressive for such a cheap AVR. I returned mine because I couldn't get correct UMIK-1 measurements (checks vs exclamation marks) and the music was not the same as the SR8002 but I should have expected that.

I may have run into the issue though that Amir ran into as the volume was not going up as if the AVR had hit a ceiling and I recycled power and the volume went up.

I'd give it a try, bi-amp and push it hard with a song to make the AVR work twice as hard as with 2 speakers. Then go to a single connection if you prefer that.

Tiesto also has a song that's also good at uncovering distortion and handling the bass drop as it comes out of the cacophony - I think it's the 8 minute version of Loves Come Again. I can't believe I still remember these but electronica uses a lot of wattage and they can sound distorted with the lightning fast volume and frequency changes. I'd love to see how much wattage those songs use.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I drove my FR bi-amped with the RZ50 in full range and blasted U96's Das Boot DJ Mellow Mix (the intro is great and the point after the 5th minute has amazing bass on a timed basis with high pitched highs). It was very impressive for such a cheap AVR. I returned mine because I couldn't get correct UMIK-1 measurements (checks vs exclamation marks) and the music was not the same as the SR8002 but I should have expected that.

I may have run into the issue though that Amir ran into as the volume was not going up as if the AVR had hit a ceiling and I recycled power and the volume went up.

I'd give it a try, bi-amp and push it hard with a song to make the AVR work twice as hard as with 2 speakers. Then go to a single connection if you prefer that.

Tiesto also has a song that's also good at uncovering distortion and handling the bass drop as it comes out of the cacophony - I think it's the 8 minute version of Loves Come Again. I can't believe I still remember these but electronica uses a lot of wattage and they can sound distorted with the lightning fast volume and frequency changes. I'd love to see how much wattage those songs use.
oops-I may have forgotten to say I externally power the L/C/R and use subs so am using the front end of the AVR but not the internal amps w/ 2 subs using DL correction w/ 2 channel. Of course I assume it wouldn't sound significantly different if using the 2 internal amps (I may try that today and see if there's a difference but it will be d/t the gain differential between the Buckeye Purifi amps and the internal ones) but won't know unless tried. I don't believe the internal amps can go as loud, as cleanly as the Purifis for sure. But at normal volumes there shouldn't be a difference.

shap

Great to hear! Thanks for the feedback

shap

Do the issues even apply if you plan to use it as a pre/pro?
They don’t for the power issue right now, but not sure if I will have the Anthem long. Have had a few issues with that as well clipping.

techsamurai

r issue right now, but not sure if I will have the Anthem l
wow, the A5 has dual toroidals, tons of capacitance (at least visibly) and massive heatsinks. Is that the one?

I'd send it for service - it's too good an amp to just toss away.

If the RZ50 is in pre/pro mode how much wattage does it need? It's going to be running at very low power most of the time right?

shap

wow, the A5 has dual toroidals, tons of capacitance (at least visibly) and massive heatsinks. Is that the one?

I'd send it for service - it's too good an amp to just toss away.

If the RZ50 is in pre/pro mode how much wattage does it need? It's going to be running at very low power most of the time right?
It is a beast! I found a local place that can service it if I keep having issues.

SorenTyson

Maybe prices are just starting to go back to where they were before supply chain issues inflated everything. Wasn’t this supposed to be a sub 1,000 dollar receiver pre-launch?

Reed

For those who bought their RZ50 refurbished or open box, how’s it going? any problems?

tbob22

Any idea if the 4ohm testing in this review was done in the 4ohm or the 6ohm and above mode?

dlaloum

Major Contributor
The biggest concern from Amir can't be addressed by software updates. You're getting the Dirac Live for free housed in a lower-tier receiver. That's why I always found it funny that folks think the RZ50 and Denon 3800 are direct competitors based on retail price alone!
No - they are direct competitors in the same market segment - they have comparable Amp, DAC and Features, although one is from the house of Audyssey and the other from Dirac.... There are some feature differences (Denon has multi-sub) but yes, they are clearly direct competitors.... with the X3800 being the more pricey option in most cases.

Monosauras

I'd like to connect a raspberry pi as a plexamp endpoint and use web hooks to have it power on the Onkyo when I play to it (kind of like a Sonos port would).

Does anyone know the http request to power on and change the input?

Thank you

EWL5

No - they are direct competitors in the same market segment - they have comparable Amp, DAC and Features, although one is from the house of Audyssey and the other from Dirac.... There are some feature differences (Denon has multi-sub) but yes, they are clearly direct competitors.... with the X3800 being the more pricey option in most cases.
I don't know if you read Amir's review but one doesn't artificially limit AVR power unless it's not capable of it.

"I started with measuring 4 ohm power as I usually do and got ridiculously low level of output before clipping. I checked all the settings, set the amp to 6 vs 4 ohm and back, power save mode off, etc. but nothing would fix it. On a hunch, I disconnected the power cable, waited a bit and powered the unit back on. I got full power twice but then it limited:

Clearly there is some monitoring going on internally causing the amplifier to go into ECO/power limiting mode. With 8 ohm load, I didn't see this problem:

Given that vast majority of speakers today are 4 ohm or even lower, this is a serious problem. I could understand it if the amp was cooking but it was quite cool running with the upper fan off. Traditionally this mode would be triggered if you set the amplifier to 4 ohm mode but per above, this did not have an effect here.

Given this problem I could not run my max and peak power. But did run my frequency sweeps post a power cable removal:

Notice how it pulled power back half way through the test. I am hoping this is microprocessor controlled so can be fixed with a firmware upgrade. This is a showstopper bug as far as I am concerned."

The Denon 3800 plays no such games...

Don't forget that the cost of Dirac Live is baked into the RZ50's price or it would have been at least $300 cheaper.

Top Bottom