• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Onkyo TX-RZ50 Review (Home Theater AVR)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 96 31.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 116 37.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 63 20.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 31 10.1%

• Total voters

dlaloum

Major Contributor
How did they measure back then?
Distortion and S/N seemed good (going from memory) - power was excellent - lots of current, very capable at 4 ohm too.

Too much Jitter via the HDMI input (like HEAPS) - which was the norm for AVR's at the time - a few were starting to get jitter down... but rare
SPDIF Jitter was very good - by the standard at the time... best results were achieved using SPDIF (which is how I am using it, to this day)

Audyssey XT (not XT32) was adequate - but I always preferred it without the RoomEQ - always sounded more natural - and my system ain't half bad.... (this was my first experience / try with RoomEQ)

It also had biamping capability - you could allocate one of the channels for biamp, and use the onboard DSP for XO... tried it, but I think it just couldn't supply enough current for my speakers ... Athony Gallo used to demo them with a 500W@8ohm Spectron Musician amp.... so although the 876 is a muscley AVR, it isn't in the same order of magnitude as that! - I later tried the 876 with a pair of Crown XLS2500's - and that was a noticeable step up.... so the 876 also made a good pre-pro.

I will be sad to see it go, I have had an offer for it.... it's not much, but it will go to a home that appreciates it... and I am hoping that the Integra I have pre-ordered, arrives before I have to give it up.

hmt

The point is that we should differentiate more w.r.t results of AVR tests. The first comment of virtually every AVR test that doesnt measure virtually perfect are in the same "this is crap, SMSL is way better" vibe. That does not help anybody. Especially with the Onkyo it has to be stated that the preamp section is pretty got (regardless of "old" DACs). That amps are crap, that's true but this can be easily remedied.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My 20 year old Meridian processor is happily doing all its DRC and subwoofer xover at 96kHz .
So it’s quite doable , but I suppose mass production uses some outdated of the shelf solution. Suppose it would cost more in-house R&D to do your own thing . my pre/pro is old but it happily does all kinds of formats . So I suppose you can get the licenses sign the NDA and do the work , incredibly amounts of software development :)

Big audio manufacturer still have problems grasping software driven products, what it actually costs to do it rigth , they are still thinking in terms of hardware boxes ?

That’s said having a full digital path for 5.1 24/96 DVDA still does not make up for the speakers in my system ( a full digital Meridians home theater ) and I agree that hirez seems Useless in most cases . I want the discrete multichannel .
But point is that 96k or 192k processing can’t be hard to come by if you build your platform as an actual audio processor, not amp an then you send someone to source some multichannel chip on the cheap ?

What if CD had been 16/48 from the getgo and we evolved to 24/48 ( per channel ) today it would have been quite sufficient. The whole hirez thing stems from the good old RedBook migth be cutting it to close in some rare circumstances and a little more migth have been proper ? for that we get 24/356 downloads when 24/48 migth have been it , but bigger numbers sells .

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Then you must not use room correction becauso almost every AVR or Prepro resamples to 44,1/48KHz then anyway.
What is more important ist that the Onkyo only uses a 12 db oct slope for the bass management of the mains. That will cause problems when using portet speakers or any speaker that has an in room response digging deeper than the crossover. Then the crossover slopes will be asymetric. That would be some audible flaw not the imo pointless discussion of sample rates.
Only 12dB for the sub ouch !

Ismapics

@amirm You say: f you don't use the Pure mode -- which is probably how most of you use it -- you will lose performance:

Well most will not use the Pure mode. Most - me included Onkyo RZ820 - will never use pure mode. I do listed to music - I have Linn Bookshelf speakers almost no base - with it but its mostly for home theater. In that sense you need to room EQ and base management. Pure for HT just sounds thin and un usable. Cheers

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, they use 24 db on the sub but 12 db on the speakers.
Why would they do that ? Are they assuming LCR being closed boxes that naturally starts to fall off at 80Hz and expect you to use 80Hz or something like that , THX inspired ?

Would not 24/24 bee a more reasonable compromise.

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Does Denon have lower internal sampling too? I would love to see this experiment done on a current Denon AVR.

hmt

Why would they do that ? Are they assuming LCR being closed boxes that naturally starts to fall off at 80Hz and expect you to use 80Hz or something like that , THX inspired ?

Would not 24/24 bee a more reasonable compromise.
That's an old THX legacy. Unfortunately a lot of AVRS are doing it that way. That includes Yamaha and D&M. With D&M that is somehow remedied since Audyssey let's the speakers roll of at 12 db via their target curve at the determined crossover frequency. This is however only working as long as the crossover is not changed afterwards. With the new multeq x tool you can manually set your speakers to roll of with 12 db at a frequency you chose which makes it quite easy to deal with it.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think I ever built one. Is there one off-the-shelf?

Yes, and I think they will work well without the much increased noise you apparently experienced when you tried to test an AVR (a Denon if I remember right) once before.

I tested the Monoprice premier one on my AVR-X4400H with the VTV Purifi EVAL1 amp and worked fine with no audible increase in hum/hiss.

51CnSq78wML._AC_SL1000_.jpg
51pLSwO-B6L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Or you can buy it from Ghentaudio, and since they sell the Hypex and Purifi kits, their interconnects must have been build to specs and tested on those XLR only amps.

a15-1.jpg

Or you can buy the Benchmark's that costs a lot more, but may be better.

capslock

Distortion and S/N seemed good (going from memory) - power was excellent - lots of current, very capable at 4 ohm too.

Too much Jitter via the HDMI input (like HEAPS) - which was the norm for AVR's at the time - a few were starting to get jitter down... but rare
SPDIF Jitter was very good - by the standard at the time... best results were achieved using SPDIF (which is how I am using it, to this day)

Audyssey XT (not XT32) was adequate - but I always preferred it without the RoomEQ - always sounded more natural - and my system ain't half bad.... (this was my first experience / try with RoomEQ)

It also had biamping capability - you could allocate one of the channels for biamp, and use the onboard DSP for XO... tried it, but I think it just couldn't supply enough current for my speakers ... Athony Gallo used to demo them with a 500W@8ohm Spectron Musician amp.... so although the 876 is a muscley AVR, it isn't in the same order of magnitude as that! - I later tried the 876 with a pair of Crown XLS2500's - and that was a noticeable step up.... so the 876 also made a good pre-pro.

I will be sad to see it go, I have had an offer for it.... it's not much, but it will go to a home that appreciates it... and I am hoping that the Integra I have pre-ordered, arrives before I have to give it up.
What is HEAPS?

The later models had XT32, beginning with the 3008, which I have. I haven't found a difference soundwise with / without except of course for less boomy bass.

Did the 876 really have an biamp / XO option? You could do that for the sub out but that was a preout only.

The biamp / XO option was advertised as the breakthrough novelty with the much later models (818, 929, 1010, 3010, 5010). Out of these, only the 1010 - 5010 have the good power amps. I don't remember this being implemented any of the earlier models.

hmt

I also had the 3008. Bought it because auf audyssey XT32. Hdmi did not fail but I had hissing when audyssey was switched on especially on the surrounds. The Denon 4500 does not have this problem. The Amps on the 3008 were quite beefy. The unit had two transformers. A small one and a really big one. Not compareable to the contemporary Onkyos.

capslock

do we have measuements of any of these ? Reliability is one thing but engineering quality like denon is a totally different thing.

What do you mean feedback here ?

Less global negative feedback. Something which nearly all class AB and the better class D designs use. You measure the error at the output and apply a correction at the input.

Ideally, you want the amp to have lots of open loop gain because errors will be corrected in proportion to the ratio of open loop gain / closed loop gain.

There was a (misguided in my eyes) school of thought that said you get better sound by making each stage as linear as possible at the cost of open loop gain and then you have (and need) less loop gain to correct for errors.

This was driven by the observation that when you optimize for loop gain at the cost of linearity, you may get TIM (transient intermodulation distortion), but this phenomenon is really more about the slew rate of the early stages. Also, when you apply some negative feedback, there is a regime where you bring down THD but acutally get more higher order harmonics. The right answer is to apply more feedback (cf. Bruno Putzey excellent article about the F-word).

The Onkyo triple darlingtons have excellent topology (i.e. all the extra transistors are there to linearize the stages), yet they are degenerated more than I consider optimal.

KMO

Does Denon have lower internal sampling too? I would love to see this experiment done on a current Denon AVR.
This post above had results from a Marantz, which would be the same as Denons, and they're consistent with my understanding of Denon operation.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I also had the 3008. Bought it because auf audyssey XT32. Hdmi did not fail but I had hissing when audyssey was switched on especially on the surrounds. The Denon 4500 does not have this problem. The Amps on the 3008 were quite beefy. The unit had two transformers. A small one and a really big one. Not compareable to the contemporary Onkyos.

Does the 3008 has SubEQ HT, or just XT32? Even just XT32 it can do a good job for the bass but above 200-300 Hz it would be hit and miss depending on the room, and if your speakers were designed with that BBC dip, you won't have the option to eliminate that dip even if you want to.

Jbrunwa

This sets a new price point for an AVR with HDMI 2.1 and Dirac Live. Used with external amps this doesn’t seem like a bad solution, and it is less than half the price of the competitors offering Dirac Live.

Johnp

About the 12db crossover slope though - I will use the AVR with MiniDSP 2x4HD + 4 subs. The 12db slope might work well to give me the opportunity to keep it at 12dB or reduce to 24dB from MiniDSP. The mains having 12dB applied to them might get them more bass than necessary, but I have another trick that might work - I've stuffed the ports of all speakers (Infinity R263 and R162) and this might de-bass them sufficiently to reduce the sub-80Hz response further and integrate well with 24dB slope on the subs (Infinity R12).
Does that sound reasonable?
I include a 12dB high pass filter in my Dirac target curves and pull the left curtain all the way down to include the slope of the filter in the full range for all speakers. It has cleaned up the bass tremendously. All processors should have selectable slopes for their crossovers.

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor
If I read correctly, using external amps for all channels in a 7.2ch configuration would produce a 96-97db SINAD performance, is that correct? If so, then it's about 5db worse SINAD than an x3700 in preamp mode, except it includes IMAX/THX certification and playback modes, plus Dirac.

Sounds like the better option to me.

ryanmh1

Some of the complaints seem a bit overblown. For only $1400 you get a product with Dirac built into it, and with 9 amplification channels also built in, and 11.2 processing channels. This is about the only product on earth that gives you that. And it does it with sufficient output at the RCA jacks to drive any external amplifier. The complaints about "Golly, gee, it resamples" are just nonsense. So does Audyssey XT32, which is the ONLY reasonable competition anywhere even remotely close to this price. That's not a legitimate complaint vis-a-vis any other AVR product. People who buy this are going to buy it because it has Dirac vs XT32. Costs $1400. Has Dirac.

As for the "power" being an issue... Two stepped power sweeps were completed before limiting, and the product performed to specification, putting out around 250W on a power sweep at 1% THD+N. And it put out perhaps 170W at 1% into 8ohms, blowing its manufacturer specification out of the water. The only thing arguably missing is whether it will pass a CEA burst test exactly at 220W. If it does that, then it does what Onkyo says it will do, and more.

I've never even considered upgrading my "getting older" Denon with XT32 because the new models just didn't bring anything to the party. This does. The only real question is how long it can sustain a burst (which I believe should be possible to measure using the APx data recorder) before kicking in the current limiter. The only flaw here is that it doesn't seem to auto-reset it, but that only matters if it's actually possible to trigger it in real use with real speakers. Even if it does, an external amp fixes that easily enough anyway..

Top Bottom