• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Onkyo TX-RZ50 Review (Home Theater AVR)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 96 30.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 118 37.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 64 20.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 33 10.6%

• Total voters

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
77db through the power amps... it isn't impressive.... yeah it will potentially be an issue for those with 104db/wm speakers....

But I have amps that rate the same, and on my 89db/wm speakers I have no noticeable hiss.... and that is the sensitivity level of a lot of speakers out there.
I had an NAD 758 V3 with some DIYSG speakers that were 93db and the surrounds and ceiling I could hear hiss (the 2 pairs closest to me). Something to consider if you have high sensitivity speakers that are close to listeners.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
The NAD 758, is substantially more noisy than the RZ50 though...

So although I agree in principle, I don't believe the issue would be as prominent on one of the new generation Onkyo family AVR's

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
F208's - efficiency 88db/wm - nominal impedance 8 ohm - easy peasy.... (and reflected in your experience of no issues!) - The RC263 is 6ohm nominal and 89db/wm - so potentially a bit more difficult... but it is only a single speaker... and with the easy load on L/R, there should be plenty left in the power supply for the C

When the never ending wait finally ends... and I receive my pre-ordered Integra DRX 3.4 - I will try things out on the internal amps first... my speakers are 89db/wm with nominal 6 ohm, but known deep drops below 4 ohm at woofer XO and tweeter - not an "amp buster" - but a difficult load nevertheless.
Don't the 208's dip fairly low for bass frequencies?

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't the 208's dip fairly low for bass frequencies?

Yes. No expert here, but I wouldn’t think it would be a good choice at all to run F208’s with the amps in this receiver.

2664568E-7BA2-40BD-B1AD-543452F72C8E.jpeg

I can say yes.
Am I correct that this model does not have Dirac Live Bass Control? If so, how did you find it did integrating your subwoofer(s) with the built in bass management of the receiver?

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes. No expert here, but I wouldn’t think it would be a good choice at all to run F208’s with the amps in this receiver.

View attachment 186520

Am I correct that this model does not have Dirac Live Bass Control? If so, how did you find it did integrating your subwoofer(s) with the built in bass management of the receiver?
It does have Dirac. No it doesn't have the DLBC included, nor can one purchase it with this AVR, I don't believe. It integrated my 2 subs just fine-Due to their different distances to the AVR and the wireless transmitter I may have to get a MiniDSP to improve on that aspect. I have one transmitter for both subs so they are receiving the delayed signal but are 2 different distances from my LP so I imagine Dirac split the difference which is less than optimal.

I thought the F208's dipped fairly low so wondered about his comment. The RZ50 drove them fairly well but not close to the Purifi. As the volume increased driving them in 2 channel w/ the AVR amps the SQ suffered and audible distortion occurred. When switching back to the Purifi the same volume level was crystal clear w/ no distortion and plenty of headroom available from there. I highly recommend running a separate amp for L/R or L/C/R and this AVR will suffice for HT duties.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Here is a quick test of using Topping PA5 as power amp:

Onkyo TX-RZ50 Powered by Topping PA5.png

Compare to internal amp:

index.php

So you get 5 to 10 dB improvement (and much cleaner spectrum). Note that due to low gain of the PA5, this is not fully apple vs apple test but should give you an idea.

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
I thought the F208's dipped fairly low so wondered about his comment. The RZ50 drove them fairly well but not close to the Purifi. As the volume increased driving them in 2 channel w/ the AVR amps the SQ suffered and audible distortion occurred. When switching back to the Purifi the same volume level was crystal clear w/ no distortion and plenty of headroom available from there. I highly recommend running a separate amp for L/R or L/C/R and this AVR will suffice for HT duties.
This Onkyo TX-RZ50 AVR, once testing is done, will get equipped with 5 channels of Buckeye NC502MP for LCR and rear LR. The AVR should be fine for the 4 height channels.

About the 12db crossover slope though - I will use the AVR with MiniDSP 2x4HD + 4 subs. The 12db slope might work well to give me the opportunity to keep it at 12dB or reduce to 24dB from MiniDSP. The mains having 12dB applied to them might get them more bass than necessary, but I have another trick that might work - I've stuffed the ports of all speakers (Infinity R263 and R162) and this might de-bass them sufficiently to reduce the sub-80Hz response further and integrate well with 24dB slope on the subs (Infinity R12).
Does that sound reasonable?

RndmLstner

View attachment 186533

Compare to internal amp:

index.php

So you get 5 to 10 dB improvement (and much cleaner spectrum). Note that due to low gain of the PA5, this is not fully apple vs apple test but should give you an idea.
Thanks for the additional test. I think many will appreciate this additional test b/c the product is really attractive in the current landscape for those who use pre-pros due to its price and the inclusion of DIRAC.

KMO

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The mains having 12dB applied to them might get them more bass than necessary, but I have another trick that might work - I've stuffed the ports of all speakers (Infinity R263 and R162) and this might de-bass them sufficiently to reduce the sub-80Hz response further and integrate well with 24dB slope on the subs (Infinity R12).
Does that sound reasonable?
That's not so much a "trick" as the original intent.

The THX asymmetric crossover concept was that the 12dB HPF would be applied at 80Hz, and the mains would be non-ported designs with a natural 80Hz 12dB roll-off, and that would combine to give a 80Hz 24dB slope.

So, yes, sounds good.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Did onkyo make anything good until now ?
The TX-SR876 I have, sounds great, has substantial built in amps (140W x7 @8ohms, 170w x2... and handles my speakers that drop to 1.6 ohm) - however it blew its hdmi board many years ago... wasn't worth fixing - still great sounding, using SPDIF input (or analogue)

Its a 60lb /30kg beast

I also had an Integra DTR 70.4 - basically the same amp, with slightly upgraded prepro - also great sound

Was never happy with either ones Audyssey... they both sounded best without RoomEQ active

Both could also be configured to BiAmp - but I didn't feel it made much difference to the sound overall.

Prior to the start of this millenium, they made a wide range of excellent Stereo gear - good sound, good reliability, long lasting - many are now collectors items.

They had a bad run of capacitors on HDMI board - which caused a bunch of failures starting around 2008 and trickling through for about 3 or 4 years - and then they had a batch of bad DTS chips, and network board - which were being replaced gratis for a number of years. - So they also did the right thing by customers but yeah - Onkyo AVR's between 2006 and 2016 were not reliable.

Post 2016 they have been reliable, no major issues reported.

Crosstalk

The TX-SR876 I have, sounds great, has substantial built in amps (140W x7 @8ohms, 170w x2... and handles my speakers that drop to 1.6 ohm) - however it blew its hdmi board many years ago... wasn't worth fixing - still great sounding, using SPDIF input (or analogue)

Its a 60lb /30kg beast

I also had an Integra DTR 70.4 - basically the same amp, with slightly upgraded prepro - also great sound

Was never happy with either ones Audyssey... they both sounded best without RoomEQ active

Both could also be configured to BiAmp - but I didn't feel it made much difference to the sound overall.

Prior to the start of this millenium, they made a wide range of excellent Stereo gear - good sound, good reliability, long lasting - many are now collectors items.

They had a bad run of capacitors on HDMI board - which caused a bunch of failures starting around 2008 and trickling through for about 3 or 4 years - and then they had a batch of bad DTS chips, and network board - which were being replaced gratis for a number of years. - So they also did the right thing by customers but yeah - Onkyo AVR's between 2006 and 2016 were not reliable.

Do you the measurements of this ? Subjectively I have also enjoyed onkyo amps in the past. But that was before I got to know how it should sound like. Now I think denon always is superior.

capslock

Its a 60lb /30kg beast

I can second that. The TX-SR 875, 876, 905, 906, 1010, 3007-3010, 5007-5010 had very decent DACs, analog preamps and amplifier boards. They used discrete triple output stages, something not found in even the highest-end AVRs from the competition. For my taste, I would have liked a little more feedback in the amp stages, but they can be modded easily.

But yes, their HDMI boards were wacky.

capslock

View attachment 186533

Compare to internal amp:

index.php

Now that is interesting! The preout of the RZ50 has harmonics beginning at -100 dB. The PA5 has them in the -120 dB territory. I would have fully expected the combination of RZ50 preout + PA5 to remain at roundabout -100 dB (HD, not SINAD). Where is it picking up the extra 10 dB in harmonic distortion?

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Now that is interesting! The preout of the RZ50 has harmonics beginning at -100 dB. The PA5 has them in the -120 dB territory. I would have fully expected the combination of RZ50 preout + PA5 to remain at roundabout -100 dB (HD, not SINAD). Where is it picking up the extra 10 dB in harmonic distortion?
Both achieve those figures at their optimum setting - each is then put into a suboptimal configuration to connect to the other.... a few db here, a few db there....
(just guessing)

dlaloum

Major Contributor
I can second that. The TX-SR 875, 876, 905, 906, 1010, 3007-3010, 5007-5010 had very decent DACs, analog preamps and amplifier boards. They used discrete triple output stages, something not found in even the highest-end AVRs from the competition. For my taste, I would have liked a little more feedback in the amp stages, but they can be modded easily.

Yes well, my 876 is in perfect condition - except for the HDMI board... sigh...

I am hoping that the new RZ70/90's will be a true replacement for the 876

Crosstalk

do we have measuements of any of these ? Reliability is one thing but engineering quality like denon is a totally different thing.

What do you mean feedback here ?

capslock

Both achieve those figures at their optimum setting - each is then put into a suboptimal configuration to connect to the other.... a few db here, a few db there....
(just guessing)
That might be the case for broadband noise but even there, it is unlikely, the PA5 being very quiet.

But I was referring to harmonics, namely 2nd and 3rd. The 2nd is egregious.

The PA5 at 5 W out into 4 R has:
- 2nd: -123 dB (blue channel), -134 dB (brown channel)
- 3rd: -119 dB (blue), -123 dB (brown)
- ~ -145 dB noise @ 2 kHz

The TZ50 with S/PDIF in, pure mode on the preout has (pretty much either channel):
- 2nd -108 dB
- 3rd -101
- noise ~ -137 dB at 2 kHz

I believe I just found the missing link. The original test does not contain a graph of "analog in (pure) / preout". Is it the ADC or rather analog input circuitry (assuming that no conversion happens in pure mode) that stinks?

Analog (pure) in 155 mV / internal amp out (5 W into 4 R):

- 2nd: -81 (blue) / -92 (brown)
- 3rd: -82 / -80
- noise ~ 125 dB

The next graph is supposed to be analog in without pure mode even if the graph itself is labelled "analog in (lower gain)"

- 2nd: -80 (blue) / -91 (brown) --> minimal degradation
- 3rd: -82 / -80 --> identical
- noise ~ 112 dB --> substantial degradation

Not sure if this is the effect of ADC/DAC (non pure mode) or lower analog gain, but it degrades the noise only. What is definitely in the chain again is the analog input. Can we have the same picture again with S/PDIF in to pinpoint where the distortion comes in?

Analog in --> PA 5 (does't say whether pure mode or not):
- 2nd: -101 (blue) / -90 (brown) --> assuming channels were switched, this is still about 30 dB degradation!
- 3rd: -114 /-95 --> 10 - 20 dB degradation
- noise -128 dB --> about 10 dB degradation

Analog in with 2 V (i.e. much higher than 155 mV) drivel level and pure mode or not:
- 2nd: -82 / -96 --> slightly better than at 155 mV
- 3rd: -95 / -86 --> about 10 dB better than at 155 mV
- noise: -130 --> about 5 dB better

So HD gets better with higher input and higher attenuation? This attenuator seems fishy!

This is not to say the internal power amps are fine, they are worse than the analog preamp section, but it is the analog preamp section that explains why the combo of preamp and PA5 is still poorish.

Last edited:

dlaloum

Major Contributor
do we have measuements of any of these ? Reliability is one thing but engineering quality like denon is a totally different thing.

What do you mean feedback here ?
There, were measured test reviews at the time.... but 12 years later, some are websites are gone....

Top Bottom