• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Okto dac8 stereo DAC Review

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So this means maybe I should go for the D90 and connect my PI to it in order to leverage tidal.
Would this be another viable option or is there another great DAC I should consider?

Oklei, I'm a bit lost reading your feedback how did you come up with 9V from 4.6V. Would it be possible to provide some explanation for a noobe? :D is it 9V AC to 4.6v DC? or this is due to the conversion from XLR to RCA?

just would like to understand how to find this number.

I would ignore Oklei's feedback as it is a bit misleading.

The max input is the absolute largest signal that the Arcam A39 can handle without clipping the input, so you need quite a bit less than 4.6V to drive it to full power. The manual states that the nominal input sensitivity is 1V.

The Okto has an output voltage of 4.1V but this is using XLR which is measured by the voltage difference between pin 2 (+2.05V) and 3 (-2.05V). When you convert from XLR to RCA you will effectively halve the voltage because the voltage is now measured using pin 2 to ground which will be 2.05V.

In summary you should be fine with the Okto and will be able to drive the Arcam to full power.

Michael

Oklei

Forum Donor
In summary you should be fine with the Okto and will be able to drive the Arcam to full power.
In my misleading post I already stated that the Arcam might be loud enough with the 2V the Okto will provide on Arcam's RCA inputs. This always depends on what's actually needed. But now I'm more than just a bit curious: If you're right and 2V drive the Arcam to full power and it starts clipping at 4.6V what happens in the input range between 2 and 4V? Will it really give you the same output power at 4V like it already does at 2V?

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At input levels above 4.6V you will clip at the INPUT which will then result in clipping at the output. For input levels between 1V and 4.6V OUTPUT clipping will occur at different volume control levels.

As 1V is specified as the input sensitivity at a volume control position of 0 dB you will reach full power. At 2V input voltage you will clip the OUTPUT at a volume control setting of -6 dB and at 4V you will clip the OUTPUT at a volume control setting of -12 dB.

Michael

Superparati

thank you mdsimon2.
What does it mean "clip the output"?

Looking at the shipping time and no answer so far from the seller, I might go for a ADI-2 DAC which seems to be a great product.
I'll then connect by USB my current PI and will do the job.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipping_(audio)

Essentially if you attempt to drive an amplifier above the power output it is capable of you will get heavy distortion.

You can see from the THD+N vs power chart below as an example (from Hypex NC252MP) that at a certain output level the distortion drastically increases.

hypex nc252mp.png

Michael

Qwin

Any update on this? Did you manage to get HDMI out?
Okto Research
Hi, sorry for not responding sooner.
My DAC8 Streamer had a fault and was returned to base. Pavel turned it round quickly and it is now working as it should.
I need to modify my rear panel and add the HDMI output socket after the xmas festivities.
I have a micro HDMI to HDMI adaptor lead about 150mm long, I've modified the HDMI end, so it can be panel mounted.
I used this lead on a separate RPi4B and it worked fine producing a picture on my TV.

Qwin

(Pavel reckons it may be a Known issue and recommends I load the new firmware, available in a few days).
"Sure thing! Tell us when it's solved".
Hi, the firmware would not load. So it had to go back to base.
Pavel sorted it fairly quickly and it all seems to work as it should now.

sharagan

Hi guys, I am a new member and I decided to join after I spent many hours of reading through many reviews and comments. I have to say that I really appreciate the forum and all the measurements and the objective information I could gather from all the posts :) And also I have small question just out of curiosity. How would the combination of the Octo Dac 8 Stereo with a Topping A90 out of the balanced headphone out measure in relation to SINAD? (if a calculation is possible) Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
Hi guys, I am a new member and I decided to join after I spent many hours of reading through many reviews and comments. I have to say that I really appreciate the forum and all the measurements and the objective information I could gather from all the posts :) And also I have small question just out of curiosity. How would the combination of the Octo Dac 8 Stereo with a Topping A90 out of the balanced headphone out measure in relation to SINAD? (if a calculation is possible) Thanks in advance.
Entirely depends on the volume you will need from the A90 ;) you can rest assured that the DAC will not be a bottleneck though, Okto Stereo + Topping A90 is probably one of the best measuring combos possible. 120dB+ theoretical resolution and no real observable flaws. Most people are using the Okto in a speaker set-up, though.

Veri

Master Contributor
Thanks for the quick reply :)
I'd like to stress that there are many cheaper DACs coming close, though. Topping D70s, Gustard X16, SMSL SU-9 (and M400) come to mind.

sharagan

I'm not looking for an upgrade, I was really only curious as I am a happy camper with my RME ADI-2 DAC feeding my headphones directly :) and from what I understand from the forum is that all these numbers are beyond my hearing anyway.

Qwin

Hi Guys
Just following up on my idea of bringing the RPi HDMI output to the rear panel of the Streamer version.
I apologies for just copying it over from my blog, it was just to reduce the typing, the audience there is not always as technically savvy, so I have stated the obvious in places.

Okto_01.jpg

This is my Okto DAC8 Stereo - Streamer.
It's a high Quality DAC with a built in Raspberry Pi 4B for streaming.
I had a Topping D90 prior to this, a very good DAC in its own right, both in terms of measurements and in its subjective sound quality. I used this with a stand alone RPi4B to great effect, so why change?

The Okto measures slightly better and the built in RPi/PSU makes for fewer boxes on the shelf. It has a large clear display, nice styling and importantly for me, a customer specified output option.
Most modern DAC's have a full scale output of 4 to 4.5v RMS (balanced) and use a digital volume control, to act more like a digital Pre Amp. This is fine if your sources are only digital, but leads to a big imbalance in output if you also have analogue sources, like a Turntable/Phono Stage, working at line level. So I specified 2v RMS balanced output for my unit. I set the digital volume control to maximum, bypassing it and the display shows 0dB. This level of output is a much better match for my Balanced Phono stage. Not withstanding variations in track levels, my digital and analogue sources now give approximately the same output level. The volume is controlled by my Pre Amp.
Sound wise, there is not much in it, the Okto/Topping both give excellent levels of detail, good bass depth and a very Black background. In my set up, the Okto just noses ahead, it's a very slightly smoother/softer sound, so is a bit more forgiving of bright, or harsh recordings. It's a very easy listen, sounding totally effortless, it just disappears.

The Okto Streaming version comes with a RPi4B, having 1or 2GB of RAM, depending on availability at the time of build.
The stand alone RPi I had been using with the Topping has 4GB of RAM and I had installed heat sinks on this unit, so I installed this into the Okto.

Okto_02.jpg

The top image is the standard RPi 4B and the lower one is after I applied the heat sinks.
I don't think the self adhesive foam strips, that are used on many of these heat sinks, gives a very efficient heat transfer, so I glued them in place, using a thermally conductive adhesive, designed specifically for gluing heat sinks together. It has a high adhesion level, good thermal conductivity and a working temperature of 180 deg C.

The Streaming function of the DAC is meant to be used "Headless" so no monitor/mouse etc. The unit is used as part of your home network and accessed via any networked device with a browser, so using your Phone or Tablet etc.
There is a big downside to this, if you take your unit to a hifi meeting or someone else's house, it won't function, as the network is not available. Even if you plug a USB stick of music into the unit, you can't play it, as the Headless operation requires the network to be in place. I also like to display my music library on my large screen TV via the RPi HDMI output and control it using a wifi "Air Mouse". I think its a mistake not to have exported the RPi's HDMI output to the rear panel of the unit, were you could easily plug in a monitor.

So, how do I modify my unit, to access the HDMI output?
The RPi4B uses Micro HDMI connectors, most monitors/TV's use full size HDMI.
There are not many Micro to HDMI adaptor leads around, even fewer, short enough for this application and I couldn't find a single one for panel mounting at the right length.
So I had to make one.

Okto_03.jpg

This is what I made. I took a 150mm long Micro HDMI male to HDMI male connector lead and cast a block of JB Weld, a filled epoxy, around the HDMI connector body. I drilled and tapped it M3. The flexible jacket on the connector had a moulded groove around it, which I enlarged with a hot soldering iron. The JB weld flowed into this groove, making a robust fixing.

Okto_04.jpg

This is the connector in position.

Okto_05.jpg

I centered the new sockets position with the RPi's USB2 sockets and used CSK screws so as not to foul the Streamers USB output/input jumper strap.
I removed the back panel to make the cut out and screw holes. There are lots of screws to remove, the mains leads, and earth wires can be unscrewed, but you have to de-solder the 12v trigger wires from the back of the socket. There is plenty of access room to do this and I re-applied some heat shrink to the re-soldered joints, so it looks good as new.

I now have my NAS library displayed on my TV via the MoOde music player software I installed on the RPi.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Guys
Just following up on my idea of bringing the RPi HDMI output to the rear panel of the Streamer version.

There are not many Micro to HDMI adaptor leads around, even fewer, short enough for this application and I couldn't find a single one for panel mounting at the right length.
So I had to make one.

This is what I made. I took a 150mm long Micro HDMI male to HDMI male connector lead and cast a block of JB Weld, a filled epoxy, around the HDMI connector body. I drilled and tapped it M3. The flexible jacket on the connector had a moulded groove around it, which I enlarged with a hot soldering iron. The JB weld flowed into this groove, making a robust fixing.

Really ?
I bet you have spent more time and even money (>10€) to make the cable than checking on Amazon or else

https://www.amazon.fr/UGREEN-Femelle-Adaptateur-Supporte-Ethernet/dp/B00B2HORKE/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&hvadid=80470539118504&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=micro+hdmi+/+hdmi&qid=1609602299&sr=8-7&tag=hydfrmsn-21

and just for you >7£
https://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-Fem...+/+hdmi&qid=1609602299&sr=8-7&tag=hydfrmsn-21

Qwin

You just leave it hanging out :p
Hanging out of what, you would have to drill a hole in the back panel, big enough for the smallest connector to fit through.
It would look terrible, even if you could get a grommet to fit over the connector.
I spent a day making, or rather modifying the lead, it was worth the effort for a tidy job. ;)

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The Okto Streaming version comes with a RPi4B, having 1or 2GB of RAM, depending on availability at the time of build.
The stand alone RPi I had been using with the Topping has 4GB of RAM and I had installed heat sinks on this unit, so I installed this into the Okto
I know that we've seen the inside of this before but I've only just taken a look. I wonder why it was designed without access to the micro SD card on the RPi? Surely a male to female extension would have allowed the card to be easily accessible.

Qwin

I suppose it's down to cost and/or how often you expect to change cards for updates. The card sticking out the back panel could be prone to damage when plugging connectors in as well, its pretty safe where it is.
Most of the updates can be done using SSH anyway. A half dozen screws is not much to deal with if its not a regular occurrence. I tend to fit the card at the outset then don't touch it once set up and the configuration has been copied to my Laptop.

Last edited:
Top Bottom