• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Okto dac8 stereo DAC Review

Zooqu1ko

@amirm analyzes the standard 4.1V RMS full-scale Dac8. Any guess at how specs would change (or suffer) when the Dac8 buffers are custom set to 12V RMS?
Without measuring it, or at least checking the datasheets of all the components in the signal path (and how they are used), the best guess you can make is that it would look almost the same, except with the X-axis labels multiplied by 3. In reality, it could get slightly better when the voltage approaches 12V if low level interference represents a lower fraction of the output signal, or worse if some component goes out of the optimal operation range. The only way to be sure is to order one and ship it to Amirm, I'll chip in $10 for shipping.

mp006ltk

Order update 224 Arrived. It was a dac8 Stereo

Also, I'm selling if someone doesn't want to wait in line. I just bought it to demo. I didn't intend to keep it.

It's posted on US Audio Mart.

Last edited:

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mine not shipped yet...

Same here (DAC8 pro ordered in September). Was originally told it would ship by the end of 2020 but this did not happen. I reached out again last week and was told it would ship by the end of the week but never received any confirmation. I fully anticipated that it would take longer than the quoted 6-8 weeks when I ordered but I find it frustrating that they keep advertising dates that they do not meet.

Michael

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Without measuring it, or at least checking the datasheets of all the components in the signal path (and how they are used), the best guess you can make is that it would look almost the same, except with the X-axis labels multiplied by 3. In reality, it could get slightly better when the voltage approaches 12V if low level interference represents a lower fraction of the output signal, or worse if some component goes out of the optimal operation range. The only way to be sure is to order one and ship it to Amirm, I'll chip in $10 for shipping.
I'm going to have two channels set to 10VRMS to bypass the input buffer on my Purifi Eval 1. That way, I'll be able to test the Octo+PURIFI with 10 v with bypass vs 4 V with buffer and let everyone know if there's any audible difference.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
John Atkinson does a full review of the Octo in the February Stereophile...

Feyire

John Atkinson does a full review of the Octo in the February Stereophile...
@Kal Rubinson

dac8meme.png

Feyire

Since Pavel has not answered my inquiry I sent 3 weeks ago about an issue I found with my DAC8 Stereo, I'm curious to see if any other DAC8 Stereo owners on this forum have come across or noticed this issue as well.

So what I found is that if I plug my left and right speaker cables into the L and R analog outputs of the DAC8 as appropriate (i.e. either 1L+2R or 3L+4R - as illustrated below), the L signal comes out of the right output and the R signal comes out of the left output.

View attachment 77121

I checked my DAC8 Stereo menu and ensured that the "L-out src" was set to "Left" and the "R-out src" was set to "Right". I also checked the balance control in the DAC menu, and it was set to "L=R".

If I set the "L-out src" to "Right" and the "R-out src" to "Left", it resolves my issue and I get the expected L audio signal coming out of my left speaker and the R audio signal coming out of my right speaker. I double checked to ensure that I wasn't routing my cables to the incorrect speaker, and can confirm everything was correct (i.e. DAC L output was going to L speaker and R DAC output was going to R speaker).

Can other DAC8 stereo owners confirm this?
The channel mapping issue I found with my Okto DAC8 Stereo back in July 2020 on firmware version 1.0 (reported to Pavel same month, but never acknowledged) has officially been confirmed by him from Stereophile's review:

1610886543125.png

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The channel mapping issue I found with my Okto DAC8 Stereo back in July 2020 on firmware version 1.0 (reported to Pavel same month, but never acknowledged) has officially been confirmed by him from Stereophile's review:

I remember that issue.
Just wondering, has there never been any update since ?

Feyire

I remember that issue.
Just wondering, has there never been any update since ?
Pavel mentioned back in late October 2020 that a firmware update was coming for the dac8 Stereo/PRO within "a few days". However, nothing has been delivered since then.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Pavel mentioned back in late October 2020 that a firmware update was coming for the dac8 Stereo/PRO within "a few days". However, nothing has been delivered since then.

That's always part of my considerations:
The best testing gear is not everything.
The company's structure may be equally important.

Luckily that issue is no flaw, but imagine it would, how would a small sized company cope in case there is some implementation issue ?

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So, for whatever reason(s), I feel I should defend Pavel - sure, not at all that great on customer communications, but he's not let me down, either.
a) Sept-Jan is about what it took to receive mine Last Year, so maybe give him a bit of a break during a global pandemic?
b) He sent me the software update to try out a month ago, but I had a severe medical emergency (not covid) about the same time, and have not been able to confidently install it yet.
c) He also sent me the rack ear upgrades and a few other things we'd discussed earlier.
So the rest is all on me, for the moment (... sorry, just not quite up to it yet, soon, tho).
Mine has worked flawlessly for just over a year now, and to get basically the best measuring (8ch!) DAC, of that quality, for that amount, is a stunningly good thing. I'm a very happy camper, all things considered.
Best wishes.

mp006ltk

The unit I'm selling seemed to work pretty well. Drivers worked without messing around with settings and the menu navigation only took a minute to figure out.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I cannot discern exactly what is being shown in the picture, so I do not know the exact implications of you post.

However, JA presumed that I purchased the sample after I heard it. In fact, the sample arrived before I could get to it for audition and review. Pavel asked me to send it on to someone else for audition. I did not want to let this opportunity pass, so I offered to buy it (unheard and at full price) and Pavel agreed. I am happy that I did.

Feyire

I cannot discern exactly what is being shown in the picture, so I do not know the exact implications of you post.

However, JA presumed that I purchased the sample after I heard it. In fact, the sample arrived before I could get to it for audition and review. Pavel asked me to send it on to someone else for audition. I did not want to let this opportunity pass, so I offered to buy it (unheard and at full price) and Pavel agreed. I am happy that I did.
The implication is that the greatest honour a product reviewer can bestow upon the manufacturer of said reviewed product, is to buy the reviewed product and use it on a daily basis :D

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
The implication is that the greatest honour a product reviewer can bestow upon the manufacturer of said reviewed product, is to buy the reviewed product and use it on a daily basis :D
OK. It was not clear exactly which finger was featured.

Anyway, I do use is on a daily basis.

AndreaT

Well, from someone who has been patiently waiting since September 2020. Okto Research has been balancing the act between world-class DAC and mass-market price. When the marriage of value and price is so much in favor of the customer it is quite obvious to anyone with the basic knowledge of manufacturing dynamics that something has to give. Please consider that if the price of the Okto Stereo DAC had been $ 6,995 it would still place it in a competitive niche, but outside the reach of my disposable income. So, in the end, I think the long wait time is a necessary compromise and a welcome one.

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor
So, for whatever reason(s), I feel I should defend Pavel - sure, not at all that great on customer communications, but he's not let me down, either.
a) Sept-Jan is about what it took to receive mine Last Year, so maybe give him a bit of a break during a global pandemic?
b) He sent me the software update to try out a month ago, but I had a severe medical emergency (not covid) about the same time, and have not been able to confidently install it yet.
c) He also sent me the rack ear upgrades and a few other things we'd discussed earlier.
So the rest is all on me, for the moment (... sorry, just not quite up to it yet, soon, tho).
Mine has worked flawlessly for just over a year now, and to get basically the best measuring (8ch!) DAC, of that quality, for that amount, is a stunningly good thing. I'm a very happy camper, all things considered.
Best wishes.

You got a firmware update ?
So it exists ?

Daaadou

Question about the trigger out. I read it is 5V.
Will it work with a Rotel device that has a 12V trigger in?

Neddy

You got a firmware update ?
So it exists ?
Yes. But on first try I couldn't get it to work - most likely a 'brain not quite hooked up right yet' thing, will try again as I continue to heal/improve.
Really don't want to push it, due to the risk of bricking it.
:eek:

Top Bottom