• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Okto dac8 stereo DAC Review

win

you'd rather avoid equalization and instead modify your music by placebo impressions of warmth, presence and forwardness?

the d90 and dac8 are both transparent DACs. they take a digital signal and process it into an analog signal, faithfully down to 120db. They sound exactly the same.

Laagman

I'm new to this forum. I'm considering upgrading my Yamaha WXAD-10 streamer. I've got an Elicit-R amplifier and Warfdale Linton Heritage speakers. Would it be a worthy upgrade to go for the Okto in combination with a RPI or Chromecast Audio? My second option is the Bluesound Node 2i. Will I hear any difference between the Node 2i and the Okto if I use it mainly for Tidal and Spotify?

Sonnie

Does this unit have a separate DAC for each output so that convolution can be setup in Roon for front left + right speaker crossover and subwoofer crossover (assuming the second left + right output are summed and used for the subs)? This would basically create a 2.1 setup. I believe Roon has to see separate DACs for this to work properly.

Zooqu1ko

Does this unit have a separate DAC for each output[...]?
No, it's a 2 channel DAC. If you want more, get the PRO, there's even an inofficial firmware that can run a crossover network internally.

AndreaT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hello everyone,

I hope you are all doing well in these crazy times and I want to assure you that we are working hard on manufacturing and delivering our products.

In the past couple of months, we have moved to a new, more spacious location. It took us quite a lot of time to equip it and establish the production, which caused our delivery times to spike, but it allowed us to increase our production volume and start catching up on the backlog of orders. We should be able to deliver most of the existing orders by the end of the year.

While it is going to be our manufacturing space and design studio, we also look forward to meet you here for a coffee, talk about audio and to hand you your dac8 Stereo/PRO if you ordered one. We hope it is soon going to be possible for everyone to travel abroad and visit Prague.

Also, the firmware update package for the dac8 Stereo/PRO is coming in a few days. This one is not going to bring many new functions, but rather fix all the known issues of the previous versions and increase robustness thanks to rewritten USB stack.

Pavel, Okto Research

@rob58 It didn't happen to us yet that the parcel would get lost on a way to a customer. Naturally, we have no proof for that and I am sorry that you don't believe me. In order to not to make an impression of being deceptive, we have refunded your order. Please send us the payment after you receive your dac8 Stereo if you decide to keep it.
As I wrote to you, Michelangelo did not paint the Sistine Chapel in a few days!

navin

I took a chance and ordered my Okto DAC8 Stereo/Streamer almost 3 weeks ago.

One thing I consider an oversight with the Okto and some other streamers, is the presumption you will always use the unit headless. I sometimes do, but it's also nice to plug the HDMI output from the Pi into my big screen TV and control it with a wireless mouse. I will be extending the Pi HDMI output from its internal socket, to the rear panel of the Okto, it makes it a much more flexible unit.

Any update on this? Did you manage to get HDMI out?
Okto Research

Feyire

Also, the firmware update package for the dac8 Stereo/PRO is coming in a few days. This one is not going to bring many new functions, but rather fix all the known issues of the previous versions and increase robustness thanks to rewritten USB stack.
@Okto Research , any update on the firmware "coming in a few days"? It has been over 5 weeks since that announcement.

I will note that you have missed every single date or suggested timeline you ever announced on this forum, so I hope this trend won't continue in the New Year :confused:, also for all these people waiting for their DAC to ship for 6 months is not so much fun.

AndreaT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just as an update to those waiting for their order - I purchased my dac8 stereo in black with streaming on July 15th and just received shipping confirmation today. Hopefully this will give others insight into when theirs will be shipping.
Hi,
Just to put things in perspective for me, what order number was yours (mine: # 213).

Thanks,

AT

Oklei

Forum Donor
Hi,
Just to put things in perspective for me, what order number was yours (mine: # 213).

Thanks,

AT
Mine (black, custom voltage, raspi, no remote) was #206 and I already got it, so yours should ship soon.

Superparati

Hello there,

Almost ready to order the stereo version to replace my DIY RPI.
Based on the above discussion is there a 6 months queue?
Does it come with the PI v4?

Thanks

Superparati

Any idea how to know if you need a custom voltage?
I've an Arcam A39 and it will be connected to it.

Thanks

Oklei

Forum Donor
Any idea how to know if you need a custom voltage?
I've an Arcam A39 and it will be connected to it.

Thanks
The maximum input of the A39 is 4.6V. You would need a xlr to rca cable because the okto only has xlr out. With this cable the okto would give you around 2.1V on rca, so you won't be able to drive the A39 to maximum input but it might be already loud enough. You can opt for custom voltage 9V if you want to drive the rca inputs of the A39 to the maximum.

Veri

Master Contributor
You would need a xlr to rca cable because the okto only has xlr out.
Yeah, something like this https://benchmarkmedia.com/products/benchmark-xlrfm-to-rca-adapter-cable-pin-3-floating just note that Okto themselves are entirely against using RCA cables/adapters since you're introducing noise otherwise never possible/present in the standard XLR-out situation.. As in, buying a 122SINAD balanced output DAC just to end up having to resort to RCA might not be the best decision ;)

Superparati

So this means maybe I should go for the D90 and connect my PI to it in order to leverage tidal.
Would this be another viable option or is there another great DAC I should consider?

Oklei, I'm a bit lost reading your feedback how did you come up with 9V from 4.6V. Would it be possible to provide some explanation for a noobe? :D is it 9V AC to 4.6v DC? or this is due to the conversion from XLR to RCA?

just would like to understand how to find this number.

Last edited:
Top Bottom