• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Okto dac8 stereo DAC Review

Dudi

Response from OKTO IF I ORDERED TODAY IN NEW YORK- - "the streaming version of dac8 Stereo (without the Apple Remote or Custom output voltage) costs € 1178. The shipping to US is € 79, so it would be € 1257 in total. If you would order now, we should be able to deliver it by the end of January." I might wait until I hear or read more reviews - I have Topping D90 and want to know people's thoughts on the purchase vs D90

It might depends on the power amplifier, but Okto Dac8 Stereo drives the Purifi 1ET400A bufferless with much, much more power, on Okto circuit board all eight outgoing channel has its own op amp, so it can provide lot of current to difficult to drive amplifiers. The custom output voltage is a nice feature as well, at my case it was set to 5.5V to get about 250W / channel (at 4ohm) from the Purifi module.

Headphone output good enough to drive the HD-650 and much more cleaner than the Sennheiser itself, just any better headphone at home to do more tests.

USB ports has strong noise filtering, comparing to my previous, great DAC an Matrix X-Sabre Pro. The Matrix sounded different with an Allo USBridge Signature + Shanti than with a simple Raspberry Pi, while Okto DAC does not need good streamer at all, it sounds very well with the internal RPI. Integration good as well, after a DAC wake up from standby, Volumio on RPI works immediatelly and sees the DAC.

The big display is a nice feature with the Apple remote it works well/readable from 2-3m distance.

Double optical / coax / USB inputs are useful as well, since one optical connection necessary for the TV and one USB for the streamer by default, double XLR out maybe good for subwoofer lovers. You can switch off unused inputs in the menu to get short list at input selection.

Feature list over D90 is long, but please expect about 14-15 weeks delivery time, at least it was may case.

Really interested in this one. Too bad for the long wait time.
If I got it right, the output XLR can be selected from the menu, so I would be able to keep it connected to two amps, while using only of the two. Is that right ?

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Really interested in this one. Too bad for the long wait time.
If I got it right, the output XLR can be selected from the menu, so I would be able to keep it connected to two amps, while using only of the two. Is that right ?
I highly recommend. Best DAC I’ve ever owned. And I’ve owned and/or built many, many, many in the past 25 years...

Oklei

Forum Donor
No. You can only assign left/right channel to a xlr pair. You cannot switch off one of the two XLRs of a channel. They are both either attached to the left or to the right stereo channel.

No. You can only assign left/right channel to a xlr pair. You cannot switch one of the two XLRs of a channel off. They are both either attached to the left or to the right stereo channel.

So, if I got it right I can:
1- Attach an Headphone Amplifier using the left pair of XLR out
2- Attach an Integrated Amplifier using the right pair of XLR out

From the menù I will choose which one to use. Did I got it right ?

Oklei

Forum Donor
From the menù I will choose which one to use. Did I got it right ?
No both amps will receive the signal all the time. You can only switch left/right channel between the XLR pairs. See the attached the output menu.

Attachments

• 20201128_225822.jpg
    20201128_225822.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 173
No both amps will receive the signal all the time. You can only switch channels between the XLR pairs. See the attached the output menu.

Thank you again! Let me make another (stupid) question:

I guess that using attaching it to two amp doesn't decrease quality/power output ?
If on fo the two amp is turned off, is it perfectly save to keep it attached to the DAC when it's running ?

Cortes

Yes, I use Roon, but don’t really use the streaming feature with the Dad8 because it is physically connected to my computer. But if I want to upsample to DSD Native, streaming is the only option I have from my MacOS system (for critical listening though, I bypass the Dac8 and feed my Genelec’s digitally directly from my computer using GLM to control volume at the speakers).
You can use the volume in Roon or the one on the Dac8. This is something you can setup in Roon.

I do use Roon to stream with anothe Pi connected to my Topping D90 however. Roon is great, it brings everything together into one single experience: Qobuz, Tidal, ripped CDs, plus streaming radio, etc..., it’s a great tool and simplify everything. Since upgrading my FiOS Wi-Fi router it is super stable with zero hiccups even when streaming DSD at a high sampling rate.

Have you tried Dac8 direct to the Genelecs?. I tried last week my SMSL SU-8v2 direct to my 8331s and I only was able to bear the torture during a song.

Oklei

Forum Donor
I guess that using attaching it to two amp doesn't decrease quality/power output ?
If on fo the two amp is turned off, is it perfectly save to keep it attached to the DAC when it's running ?
Yes. The output impedance is only 50 Ohm. You can even run both amps parallel without problems. You'll have 4 opamps driving one channel!

Attachments

• 20201128_231615.jpg
    20201128_231615.jpg
    728.1 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:

Cortes

Response from OKTO IF I ORDERED TODAY IN NEW YORK- - "the streaming version of dac8 Stereo (without the Apple Remote or Custom output voltage) costs € 1178. The shipping to US is € 79, so it would be € 1257 in total. If you would order now, we should be able to deliver it by the end of January." I might wait until I hear or read more reviews - I have Topping D90 and want to know people's thoughts on the purchase vs D90

On the paper there is not competition for me. D90 one between tons of Chi-fi DACs released every year, be assured in two years we'll be in the D190s. Okto has better measurements and has something almost unique: double XLR output.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Have you tried Dac8 direct to the Genelecs?. I tried last week my SMSL SU-8v2 direct to my 8331s and I only was able to bear the torture during a song.
Oh dear... Is it that bad?

Dac8 sounds awesome (subjectively) feeding my 8351B’s through the analog inputs. I do feel feeding the Gens digital straight from the computer to give me a small but not insignificant edge on transparency. It feel like there’s no place for the recordings to hide...

Last edited:

win

On the paper there is not competition for me. D90 one between tons of Chi-fi DACs released every year, be assured in two years we'll be in the D190s. Okto has better measurements and has something almost unique: double XLR output.

On paper there is no difference between the d90 and okto specs. Virtually the exact same performance.

If you need two xlr out, cool. But that's a feature not performance. I like the extra rca outs on the d90 so I can appreciate wanting extra outputs.

But unless you also need the streaming and digital preamp, I would rather get the 8 channel okto dac.

On that note, does anyone know if the 8 channels are as backordered as the stereo version?

Last edited:

mkt

On that note, does anyone know if the 8 channels are as backordered as the stereo version?
Yes. I ordered Aug 2.

Reactions: win

Sukie

Forum Donor
On paper there is no difference between the d90 and okto specs. Virtually the exact same performance.

If you need two xlr out, cool. But that's a feature not performance. I like the extra rca outs on the d90 so I can appreciate wanting extra outputs.

But unless you also need the streaming and digital preamp, I would rather get the 8 channel okto dac.

Definitely agree that this is a features rather than SQ issue (although, as always, more than happy for people to share subjective preferences).

It's also an aesthetic thing - the Okto looks mighty fine!

One thing that impresses me is the inclusion of an RPi. I'm an avid RPi fan who is quite happy with my stand alone units connected to Topping DACs. I was just wondering why more manufacturers of high-spec/measurement DACs don't build an RPi into their design? One of the standard criticism of streamers amongst members is software limitations and faults. An RPi offers multiple software options.

Cortes

Oh dear... Is it that bad?

Dac8 sounds awesome (subjectively) feeding my 8351B’s through the analog inputs. I do feel feeding the Gens digital straight from the computer to give me a small but not insignificant edge on transparency. It feel like there’s no place for the recordings to hide...

Do you find any advantage of going analogue to the Gennies?. Unfortunately I've only the smsl SU-8 to compare, and I doubt whether some quality DAC can elevate a notch the sound of the Gennies.

BTW what DDC are using to feed digitally your 8341s?

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Do you find any advantage of going analogue to the Gennies?. Unfortunately I've only the smsl SU-8 to compare, and I doubt whether some quality DAC can elevate a notch the sound of the Gennies.

BTW what DDC are using to feed digitally your 8341s?
All Genelec SAM active speakers will have an A to D and D to A built in for DSP, and the analog input will have to go through it. So there's really no need for a DAC. And even though the Dac8 is possibly the best DAC in the world right now, its analog output will still be converted to digital and back to analog at the speaker. Because the Dac8 is so good, the Genelec still sound very good with the extra D to A and A to D. I only use the Dac8 because I have multiple sources, I don't want to compromise on sound quality and also the overall ease of use. Most humans will be able to operate the system with ease after a brief explanation.

To answer your question, no, I don't think there's any advantage in going analog with Genelec SAMs. If you can keep it simple by feeding it directly from a digital source and controlling volume with the GLM module, I believe that's the best way, the purist way (also recommended by Genelec). That's the way I listen to music through my 8351B's.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
Anyone can comment about the headphone out ? Will give it justice to an HD800s ?

At 60mW in 300ohm, it will definitely not go ear-shattering loud, add some EQ/DSP or listen to classical tracks and it will be too silent indeed.
With more sensitive headphones/IEMs it will work very well, though.

Stretchneck

I've got the Okto Dac 8 Stereo on order... anyone compared this to the Topping D90?

I presently own the D90, almost ideal for me...but it really needs to be fed MQA or upsampled PCM from HQPlayer to sound it best... regular PCM sounds clinical.

Is the Okto DAC8 warmer in tone? Also, is it laid back, neutral, mid-forward or forward in it's sound?

The Topping D90 is completely neutral and this probably doesn't suit me perfectly - I especially like voices to be pushed forward a bit more in the presence region. I would rather avoid equalising... although I don't mind suggestions for a balanced preamp if that might warm things up.

Top Bottom