• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nvidia Shield on Android 11

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So, I have Nvidia Shield, outputting audio through USB. So far, it has been working with everything: Matrix Mini i pro, Douk U2 pro... I have now purchased this device https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32450088506.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.21ef1802oDr8LX the seller says that it does not work with Android devices and requires a driver (which is obviously a Windows driver and can not be installed on Android). Is it true, or does the seller not know what he is talking about? Thank you

PS If it the case that some devices would work with Shield as USB DDC or DACs and others would not, why is that and what can be done about it? Is there a list of compatible devices? I need to know that prior to purchase and it should not be a way of trial and error and experiments.

The item is described as 'Audio Amplifier DAC USB Digital interface of xmos u208 Support PCM32bit/384K DSD256 output coaxial optical IIS(RJ45) AES/EBU' but it's neither an amplifier nor a DAC. It appears to function as a USB to digital bridge. Is this the functionality that you require? The Topping D10(s) is often used for this purpose and would probably be a safer bet, although it only supports coax and optical outputs. There's also a cheaper Douk device that adds I2S output, but lacks any DAC capability... (*edit* I see you already have one of the Douk devices)

Also, in general, DAC support on the Nvidia Shield is patchy (at least on the older ones). I could not get an SMSL Sanskit to work at all with my 2015 Shield.

*edit* and welcome to ASR!

Last edited:

dosifey

Yes, I need a USB bridge (DDC) with an AES output. I have HEDD Type 07 MK2 active speakers with a digital AES input.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I need a USB bridge (DDC) with an AES output. I have HEDD Type 07 MK2 active speakers with a digital AES input.

I don't think i'd trust the AliExpress seller, as far as I can tell, the Xmos xu308 mentioned in the listing doesn't exist anywhere apart from AliExpress!

Audiophonics have what appears to be the same device listed with an xu208 chip, you could try asking them if they have it working with Android...

dosifey

I have read the thread but still could not understand the difference between the "high quality" and "normal" audio output via USB. As far as I understand it: Standard is 44100 Hz sample rate only, 48000 Hz from movies gets downsampled. High quality 44100 and 48000 gets upsampled, seems a bit intermittent to what, sometimes 192,000 Hz and sometimes 384,000 Hz... Not sure why the system does that and just not keeps the whatever original rate was there.

Sidenote - high quality had some intermittent problems with current set up, but standard works reliably.

ash1980

FYI been experimenting with the Shield and discovered that even though Qobuz is not available in the Play Store. I am able to open Qobuz on my IPad Pro and select the Shield as the Audio output and am getting a full size Qobuz screen and complete bit-perfect streaming. My Denon 8500 reports same bit depth as player over HDMI. So if you have an iPad or even a iPhone you may not need to sideload Qobuz.

From my experiments using this method to cast Qobuz to the Shield over wifi it looks to be bit limited to 24 bits / 96 kHz as maximum capability. That is more than good enough. Highly doubt I can hear the difference anyhow. So this seems like a very simple solution.

Can’t get Apple Music to cast to the Shield. Might be my limited knowledge here but I did try.
You can look open Qobiz Web Player in the browser. That's the hack that I've been using and Shield browser usage is tremendously better than other streamers.

ash1980

I've downloaded Qobuz apk and transferred using send files to tv app. It runs on portrait mode. Did it only for testing. Now I prefer to run UAPP in UPNP mode and send the music with Roon, bubbleupnp or mconnect.
Can you please tell me where did you download the Qobz APK from? Can I install it on the Shield directly?

OP
J

jmtocali

Can you please tell me where did you download the Qobz APK from? Can I install it on the Shield directly?
From apkmirror. You can install but you will need an app that set landscape force to visualize. Other options are running BubbleUPNP or USB audio player pro in your Shield. Both support Qobuz

spacecowboy2050

I'm having a bit of trouble with my Shield and Tidal. I have the tube version of the Shield that I've had for about 3 years. When playing Tidal, I go through an HDMI audio extractor as the optical / arc from my Samsung TV only outputs at 48khz whatever the source. With this audio extractor via Toslink to my Dac, I can only seem to get 44.1khz or 48khz. The Hi-Fi files play at 44.1 and the masters at 48. Playing the same masters via UBS from my MacBook shows 88.2 and 96khz for some of these.
Someone had suggested that it's because Android resamp[les everything to 48khz, but as I said the Hi-Fi non masters output correctly at 44.1.

Can anyone see where I am going wrong?
Thanks!

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm having a bit of trouble with my Shield and Tidal. I have the tube version of the Shield that I've had for about 3 years. When playing Tidal, I go through an HDMI audio extractor as the optical / arc from my Samsung TV only outputs at 48khz whatever the source. With this audio extractor via Toslink to my Dac, I can only seem to get 44.1khz or 48khz. The Hi-Fi files play at 44.1 and the masters at 48. Playing the same masters via UBS from my MacBook shows 88.2 and 96khz for some of these.
Someone had suggested that it's because Android resamp[les everything to 48khz, but as I said the Hi-Fi non masters output correctly at 44.1.

Thanks!

Do you have 'Match content audio resolution' enabled in Advanced Sound Settings?

IMG_20221207_120109 (Small).jpg

reddeath

My Denon 4500H reports 192 kHz for any track played with Amazon Music on Shield TV 2015 with the Match content audio resolution option enabled. But the app reports device compatibility and playback at 16-bit 44.1 kHz. What is going on?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My Denon 4500H reports 192 kHz for any track played with Amazon Music on Shield TV 2015 with the Match content audio resolution option enabled. But the app reports device compatibility and playback at 16-bit 44.1 kHz. What is going on?

I think I would believe the Denon rather than the Amazon app. There's not reason for the AVR to display 192 if it's receiving something else.

OP
J

jmtocali

Amazon music upsamples everything to 192Khz. Only the Wiim devices can play at the source freq at the moment as far as I know.

RosalieTheDog

Thanks!
Hi, MQA unfolding in DACs often only works through USB in.

ash1980

Hi Everyone,

Since Qobuz doesn’t have an Android TV app (unlike Tidal) available on Nvidia Shield, I am using Qobuz on an Nvidia shield browser. I was able to connect a DAC with a different amplifier and it’s not sending the full sampling. For e.g. Qobuz says the song is 24 bit, 192 Khz but on the DAC , I was seeing 44 khz. I am not sure if this is a limitation of the hardware (shield) or me playing in the browser instead of the app. Any idea on how to fix this?

holbob

Cast it to the shield via your phone/tablet

OP
J

jmtocali

Hi Everyone,

Since Qobuz doesn’t have an Android TV app (unlike Tidal) available on Nvidia Shield, I am using Qobuz on an Nvidia shield browser. I was able to connect a DAC with a different amplifier and it’s not sending the full sampling. For e.g. Qobuz says the song is 24 bit, 192 Khz but on the DAC , I was seeing 44 khz. I am not sure if this is a limitation of the hardware (shield) or me playing in the browser instead of the app. Any idea on how to fix this?
It’s the browser’s limitation. You can cast, side load Qobuz app or install either Bubbleupnp or mconnect.

ash1980

It’s the browser’s limitation. You can cast, side load Qobuz app or install either Bubbleupnp or mconnect.
How will Bubbleupnp work? I haven't heard about that before.

And what do you mean by side load Qobuz app?

Top Bottom