• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nvidia Shield on Android 11

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have two 2015 vintage Shield TVs, i'm still astounded that they're receiving regular software updates. The Google Nexus 6P phone that I bought the same year went out of support in 2017.

sagit90

Shield tv pro 2019 + dragonfly cobalt + usb android player Pro = bitperfect flac+mqa+dsd

Attachments

• 20220118_120633.jpg
    20220118_120633.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 526

Morla

Forum Donor
but only using android apps that specifically support circumventing the andoid resampling like usb player pro or tidal and that was already possible before the android 11 update afair.

Skyro

Has anybody gotten Amazon Music to come through as 24 bit on their Shield? It still shows "Device capability" as being 16 bit for me with the new match audio resolution setting.

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
Has anybody gotten Amazon Music to come through as 24 bit on their Shield? It still shows "Device capability" as being 16 bit for me with the new match audio resolution setting.
Yes I have. The AVR info for the audio is correct. Seems like the AM screen music data is not displaying the correct bit rate. I have verified this and pretty sure it’s passing at least 24/96.

sagit90

Yes I have. The AVR info for the audio is correct. Seems like the AM screen music data is not displaying the correct bit rate. I have verified this and pretty sure it’s passing at least 24/96.
Settings? With dac? App version?

mudy

Not stable with my 2019 shield, LG TV and yamaha receiver. I connect shield to my TV, then eARC to receiver.
If I set my tv pass through, it does show correct sample rate 44.1khz but audio is dropping every second.
If I set tv to auto, it will always use 48khz pcm.
I also have problem connect to receiver directly with a few different cables.

Wolf69

I sideloaded the last version. I use the Nvidia Shield control app from my phone, because as you said, the navigation is awful.
Thanks i didn’t know about this app, it’s still awful but i least i can try some songs with the track pad

Skyro

Thanks so I assume you sideloaded the non-Android TV version of the Amazon Music app as well? Curious have you noticed any sonic differences between the Android TV and sideloaded version? I ask because when I stream Amazon Music through the Yamaha MusicCast directly to the AVR it sounds much more musical to me than streaming through the Shield with the Android TV version and for the life of me I can't understand why. If only the MusicCast app navigation wasn't so terrible.

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
Thanks so I assume you sideloaded the non-Android TV version of the Amazon Music app as well? Curious have you noticed any sonic differences between the Android TV and sideloaded version? I ask because when I stream Amazon Music through the Yamaha MusicCast directly to the AVR it sounds much more musical to me than streaming through the Shield with the Android TV version and for the life of me I can't understand why. If only the MusicCast app navigation wasn't so terrible.
No sideload app. Using the play store Amazon Music app. Directly from the Shield to the AVR.

Wolf69

So i tested it this WE.

My denon can received the 192khz from the sideload apple music app (checked in general/information/audio)
However i didn’t see any huge difference, could this be that the shield dac is soso?

I compared it to a sony high res walkman and there was a big improvement, same with a combo iphone+modjo.

While i can understand i’m comparing walkman or dac specialized for music and at a higher cost, i’m a bit sceptic that the shield could considered as a primary player.

Your advice?

OP
J

jmtocali

So i tested it this WE.

My denon can received the 192khz from the sideload apple music app (checked in general/information/audio)
However i didn’t see any huge difference, could this be that the shield dac is soso?

I compared it to a sony high res walkman and there was a big improvement, same with a combo iphone+modjo.

While i can understand i’m comparing walkman or dac specialized for music and at a higher cost, i’m a bit sceptic that the shield could considered as a primary player.

Your advice?
In this case would be the DAC on your receiver. The Shield is a transport.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Even with pure audio activated?

The connection between the Shield and the AVR is digital (down the HDMI cable). The digital signal is converted to analogue by the AVR's DAC. I think 'Pure Audio' just turns of the multi-channel aspects of the AVR in an attempt to improve 2 channel fidelity.

carlmart

Hi all,

I was trying a 44.1 file on Nvidia Shield 2019 using Kodi. Most of my music is stored on a NAS. My receiver still tells me that the sampling rate is 48 KHz. Is this a Kodi problem? Can I use a different app to get the correct sampling rate?

Thanks in advance
/M
Are you getting good quality with audio when you use it as Music manager? Because I don't get the same audio that I get from the audio in videos.

carlmart

Which free high resolution audio manager program are you using from the ones Android offers in Shield TV?

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the 2017 version. Today I received the Android 11 update. In the device controls under Advanced Sound options now the Shield allows to pass all the audio untouched over HDMI. Checked on my Onkyo TX-8270 receiver and it's effectively passing all audio on its native frequency: I have sideloaded Apple Music, Amazon Music, Qobuz, Roon, Idagio and USB Audio Player Pro and it changes to the original: 16/44.1, 24/48, 24/88.2, 24/96, 24/176.4, 24/192
I think this puts the Nvidia Shield as a serious and versatile streamer option.
How did you sideload Qobuz? I have the latest NVidia shield (not the pro), and when I use downloader to go to the Qobuz site, Qobuz refers me to the Google Play store, and the store returns the message that Qobuz can not be downloaded on my device. I currently stream it over my phone to the built in Chromecast audio, but I would prefer to run it right on the shield with the app sideloaded.

Smitty2k1

I have two 2015 vintage Shield TVs, i'm still astounded that they're receiving regular software updates. The Google Nexus 6P phone that I bought the same year went out of support in 2017.
I bought one at release and have really just been using it as a glorified Kodi box for our bedroom TV. Fast forward to Jan 2022 and I bought my first 4k TV. Shield is now front and center in the living room as a wonderful 4k box.

carlmart

Yes, Kodi is great for video. But for audio through its music manager, it is not.

Last edited:
Top Bottom