• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nvidia Shield on Android 11

OP
J

jmtocali

How did you sideload Qobuz? I have the latest NVidia shield (not the pro), and when I use downloader to go to the Qobuz site, Qobuz refers me to the Google Play store, and the store returns the message that Qobuz can not be downloaded on my device. I currently stream it over my phone to the built in Chromecast audio, but I would prefer to run it right on the shield with the app sideloaded.
I've downloaded Qobuz apk and transferred using send files to tv app. It runs on portrait mode. Did it only for testing. Now I prefer to run UAPP in UPNP mode and send the music with Roon, bubbleupnp or mconnect.

mudy

My shield tv suddenly not playing 44.1khz anymore today. I am pretty sure it worked correctly last night and I didn't change tv or receiver settings. But today youtube play at 48hz, qobuz casting only play at 48khz, 88.2khz and 96khz, 44.1khz also play at 48khz.
Just wondering if anyone else had similar experience.

EDIT: Initeresting, just after I posted. I tried amazon music, now everything work at 44.1khz now. And casting 96khz qobuz will cause this issue again.

Last edited:

Trent999

Hi All, can anyone confirm that the shield’s audio can be routed through the usb port? I’m looking to use it just for stereo, for both movies and music, and be able to control volume through one remote.
Yes, you can select usb out and use it with DAC..but be prepared that shield is upsampling everything to 192 kHz..

Morla

Forum Donor
Yes, you can select usb out and use it with DAC..but be prepared that shield is upsampling everything to 192 kHz..
if he chooses stereo instead of high quality it's resampled to 44.1 (after a reboot iirc)

Last edited:

engio

I have the 2017 version. Today I received the Android 11 update. In the device controls under Advanced Sound options now the Shield allows to pass all the audio untouched over HDMI. Checked on my Onkyo TX-8270 receiver and it's effectively passing all audio on its native frequency: I have sideloaded Apple Music, Amazon Music, Qobuz, Roon, Idagio and USB Audio Player Pro and it changes to the original: 16/44.1, 24/48, 24/88.2, 24/96, 24/176.4, 24/192
I think this puts the Nvidia Shield as a serious and versatile streamer option.

How did you make it work with apple music?

I sideloaded the 3.8.0 version, which as my understanding is the last one, and it's not working.

My steps:
  • Updated the shield to 9.0.1
  • Enabled "Match content audio resolution" in the advanced sound settings
  • Enabled Lossless Audio in Apple Music Setting
  • Changed both cellular and wifi streaming to Hi-Res Lossless in Apple Music settings
But my AVR is still showing 48kHz.

Shield 2019 Pro (not the tube version), Denon AVR-X3600H. Screenshots here.

Any help would be welcome as I'm unaware of any guide or howto to follow to get this working. Thanks!

OP
J

jmtocali

How did you make it work with apple music?

I sideloaded the 3.8.0 version, which as my understanding is the last one, and it's not working.

My steps:
  • Updated the shield to 9.0.1
  • Enabled "Match content audio resolution" in the advanced sound settings
  • Enabled Lossless Audio in Apple Music Setting
  • Changed both cellular and wifi streaming to Hi-Res Lossless in Apple Music settings
But my AVR is still showing 48kHz.

Shield 2019 Pro (not the tube version), Denon AVR-X3600H. Screenshots here.

Any help would be welcome as I'm unaware of any guide or howto to follow to get this working. Thanks!
Looks like the 9.0.1 update broke the rules for network detection in Apple Music. For the moment should work without problem with the Shield connected only trough Wifi. I've just tested and the high resolution icon appears in the songs and the receiver shows the correct sample rate (including 16/44.1)

engio

Looks like the 9.0.1 update broke the rules for network detection in Apple Music. For the moment should work without problem with the Shield connected only trough Wifi. I've just tested and the high resolution icon appears in the songs and the receiver shows the correct sample rate (including 16/44.1)

Thank you that was it.

With wifi it does show the losses badge and the receiver gets the correct rate. Screenshots.

Now if only we could have a decent way to navigate that interface from the shield remote...

OP
J

jmtocali

Thank you that was it.

With wifi it does show the losses badge and the receiver gets the correct rate. Screenshots.

Now if only we could have a decent way to navigate that interface from the shield remote...
I prefer to use the Shield Remote app from my phone or tablet for Apple TV and UAPP

engio

I prefer to use the Shield Remote app from my phone or tablet for Apple TV and UAPP

I've tried that, but I keep getting a connection reset error after just a few seconds of usage.

May I ask if you are aware of any way to have a shortcut to the Apple Music app on the homescreen or somewhere that is not hidden in the All Apps?

OP
J

jmtocali

I've tried that, but I keep getting a connection reset error after just a few seconds of usage.

May I ask if you are aware of any way to have a shortcut to the Apple Music app on the homescreen or somewhere that is not hidden in the All Apps?
You can install F Launcher. Or in the Shield Remote App you can launch it from Apps

DrGogu

Has anybody tried VLC Player for the Shield? It’s free and its music organization is very good. However since my receiver does not show the bitrate/frequency, I don’t know if it is taking advantage of the new match audio resolution feature. There is also an option to set digital audio passthrough on/off, don’t know if that makes a difference. Can somebody check for me please? Thanks!

WondrousHippo

Forum Donor
Has anybody tried VLC Player for the Shield? It’s free and its music organization is very good. However since my receiver does not show the bitrate/frequency, I don’t know if it is taking advantage of the new match audio resolution feature. There is also an option to set digital audio passthrough on/off, don’t know if that makes a difference. Can somebody check for me please? Thanks!
I think VLC is still resampling based on a test just now, but I know that like Qobuz via Chromecast is passing the original sample rate.

DrGogu

I think VLC is still resampling based on a test just now, but I know that like Qobuz via Chromecast is passing the original sample rate.

Hmm.. thanks. Have you tried switching digital audio output on/off? It’s at the lower right corner of the player.

DrGogu

Does anybody know if I should set USB Audio Player Pro to Original Android driver or HiRes Direct driver on the Shield? Both show the right frequency/depth, but the latter shows a message saying the device does not have an internal DAC, but how is it outputting the right values?

OP
J

jmtocali

Does anybody know if I should set USB Audio Player Pro to Original Android driver or HiRes Direct driver on the Shield? Both show the right frequency/depth, but the latter shows a message saying the device does not have an internal DAC, but how is it outputting the right values?
Should be the hires driver. You should use the specific version for Android TV. You can email the developer for the link.

DrGogu

Should be the hires driver. You should use the specific version for Android TV. You can email the developer for the link.
I have the TV version installed. It’s just that I read on their website that sometimes the device mentions “Direct” but does not output in hi-res. And that the internal hi-res driver is meant to be used with phones with wired headphones. But you confirmed it does show the right values on your receiver, so it works. Hmm.. interesting. So the Shield has an internal DAC despite having no speakers or 3.5 mm output .. ?

For the record, I’m talking about the first option in the UAPP app Settings “Internal audio driver”. On the Shield, it defaults to “Original Android driver”.

Last edited:

dosifey

So, I have Nvidia Shield, outputting audio through USB. So far, it has been working with everything: Matrix Mini i pro, Douk U2 pro... I have now purchased this device https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32450088506.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.21ef1802oDr8LX the seller says that it does not work with Android devices and requires a driver (which is obviously a Windows driver and can not be installed on Android). Is it true, or does the seller not know what he is talking about? Thank you

PS If it the case that some devices would work with Shield as USB DDC or DACs and others would not, why is that and what can be done about it? Is there a list of compatible devices? I need to know that prior to purchase and it should not be a way of trial and error and experiments.

Last edited:
Top Bottom