• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nvidia Shield on Android 11

ash1980

If I move to Tidal, this problem goes away , since there is native app available?

OP
J

jmtocali

How will Bubbleupnp work? I haven't heard about that before.

And what do you mean by side load Qobuz app?
Bubbleupnp has native qobuz support. Sideload means that you can install an apk to the Shield.

dosifey

I do not think this problem has a solution but I will ask anyway:
Is there any way for USB audio (from both audio and video files) playback via adnroid without down or up sampling of the signal?

There are some audio players (UAPP, Onkyo, Hiby, Poweramp) which bypass the original Android USB audio drivers, but no video players which allow that. All of the audio players are very niche products and have terrible user interface.

Ideally, I need a solution at Android driver level. Failing that - a Kodi or other video player plug in or a nice video player that allows that.

It is not a pressing problem at all, but I would really like to know if I missed anything. Let's give this thread 5-10 years and maybe there will be a solution
:)

The hardware device is Nvidia Shield. I understand the easy solution would be to just use a Windows device for media playback instead of an android device.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Video is generally protected by DRM and the legal ramifications related to creating a way to bypass it, so you don't see many companies supporting that use case.

dosifey

Video is generally protected by DRM and the legal ramifications related to creating a way to bypass it, so you don't see many companies supporting that use case.
Kodi player allows some control over sampling rate but only via HDMI, not via USB.

WondrousHippo

Forum Donor
I do not think this problem has a solution but I will ask anyway:
Is there any way for USB audio (from both audio and video files) playback via adnroid without down or up sampling of the signal?

There are some audio players (UAPP, Onkyo, Hiby, Poweramp) which bypass the original Android USB audio drivers, but no video players which allow that. All of the audio players are very niche products and have terrible user interface.

Ideally, I need a solution at Android driver level. Failing that - a Kodi or other video player plug in or a nice video player that allows that.

It is not a pressing problem at all, but I would really like to know if I missed anything. Let's give this thread 5-10 years and maybe there will be a solution
:)

The hardware device is Nvidia Shield. I understand the easy solution would be to just use a Windows device for media playback instead of an android device.
There is a setting for passing the original sample rate that seems to work for most stuff.

dosifey

dosifey

Device Preferences, Display and Sound, Advanced Sound Settings, Match content audio resolution
Oh yes, just as I said earlier - that is only applicable to the HDMI sound, not USB audio.

K man

I haven't been able to find some clear answers online or on this forum, so I'm raising my questions here.

Is it possible to stream Atmos tracks over Tidal Connect (from an iPhone) to Nvidia Shield?

If possible, does it require the 2019 version (to be recognized as Atmos enabled) and do the decoding on the Nvidia Shield, or will also 2017 and 2015 work where you passthrough the decoding to the receiver (since the source, the iPhone, is Atmos enabled and hence gives access to the Atmos tracks)?

OP
J

jmtocali

Not using Tidal connect. You should use the native tidal app on the Shield

K man

Not using Tidal connect. You should use the native tidal app on the Shield
Does that mean you can't use Tidal Connect at all to stream to the Nvidia Shield? Or just that you can't stream Atmos tracks?

OP
J

jmtocali

Does that mean you can't use Tidal Connect at all to stream to the Nvidia Shield? Or just that you can't stream Atmos tracks?
Tidal connect only will work with Chromecast in the Shield. Will work for FLAC but not for Atmos. Also not gapless and not MQA first unfold.

K man

Tidal connect only will work with Chromecast in the Shield. Will work for FLAC but not for Atmos. Also not gapless and not MQA first unfold.
Thanks for clarifying that.

So currently there is no streamer on the market that can receive Atmos tracks through Tidal Connect?

WohnW

I use a douk audio U2 for the USB Port to route that into my motu lp32 using spdif/toslink.

In the shield you can usb audio mode set to either stereo (44.1) or stereo high quality which is 192khz (the android resampling)

And i can control volume by using the shield's remote. Just dont set fixed audio volume.

I think the new audio setting in android 11 is for hdmi
Hi, from this what you say I understand that all 44,1 will be upsampled to 192 in stereo high quality, correct? From this point - do you knowledge- if I play NATIVE 192khz - will N Shield make any resampling or just pass to DAC untouched signal?

WohnW

The item is described as 'Audio Amplifier DAC USB Digital interface of xmos u208 Support PCM32bit/384K DSD256 output coaxial optical IIS(RJ45) AES/EBU' but it's neither an amplifier nor a DAC. It appears to function as a USB to digital bridge. Is this the functionality that you require? The Topping D10(s) is often used for this purpose and would probably be a safer bet, although it only supports coax and optical outputs. There's also a cheaper Douk device that adds I2S output, but lacks any DAC capability... (*edit* I see you already have one of the Douk devices)

Also, in general, DAC support on the Nvidia Shield is patchy (at least on the older ones). I could not get an SMSL Sanskit to work at all with my 2015 Shield.

*edit* and welcome to ASR!
Hi, does it mean that Nobsound Douk Audio U2 USB Converter XMOS XU208 is confirmed to work with Nvidia Shield (2017)

Morla

Forum Donor
if I play NATIVE 192khz - will N Shield make any resampling or just pass to DAC untouched signal?
I don't know (have no proof). But I think everything gets resampled over usb just to a different output rate (unless app uses own driver)

Last edited:

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Since I can't get Qobuz to run on my NVidia Shield any other way than to stream it via Bubble Upnp, I decided to load Amazon Music Unlimited, and am currently trialling it. IDK if anyone else has any experience with Amazon Music, but sonically it seems much inferior to Qobuz even Qobuz being streamed to the NVidia. Anyone else think maybe Amazon's music offering though ostensibly lossless on this platform is just not up to snuff?

Top Bottom