• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nobsound 3-IN-1-OUT XLR Audio Switch Review

Hemi

This seems a good option then:

tzxembki4vyzjbscjkjr.jpg

kxzjuvza6iuiv0dtonpk.jpg

If it is as well-made as their MS6R, than it could be a good space/money-saving option. Not for me probably, because my audio chain was built with XLR cables, so I would have to replace almost all of them.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
If it is as well-made as their MS6R, than it could be a good space/money-saving option. Not for me probably, because my audio chain was built with XLR cables, so I would have to replace almost all of them.
That's why I use this one. 4 x 7.1channels balanced. I use it with XLR-DB25 snakes.
COL-71SW.JPG

Hemi

Is there anyone who's tried the switchers from Mapletree Audio? They are custom made, but the price is not crazy high.
I'm wondering if they're noise and crosstalk free.

1644965510980.jpeg

1644965532346.jpeg

Labjr

Major Contributor
Is there anyone who's tried the switchers from Mapletree Audio? They are custom made, but the price is not crazy high.
I'm wondering if they're noise and crosstalk free.
$200 more for wooden end caps. The one reviewed here is hard to beat. Worth the price for the Neutrik connectors alone. Well, if they're real.

Hemi

$200 more for wooden end caps. The one reviewed here is hard to beat. Worth the price for the Neutrik connectors alone. Well, if they're real.
The one reviewed here is hard to beat only in terms of crosstalk between outputs.
More about that on page 7.

virtua

After reading about the crosstalk issue with this XLR switcher, outside of having some audible signal bleeding into the inactive outputs, does this also have any negative consequences for the active output?

Should it be a concern unless you have multiple outputs/amplifiers turned on at once?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So here's my question –
Why such an issue with such a simple device can easily be detected by ears but not by audio analyzing equipment?
The DUT here was multiple inputs to one output and the analyser did pick up low level crosstalk from the unselected but connected input playing white noise. I'm not sure I understand your question.

Hemi

The DUT here was multiple inputs to one output and the analyser did pick up low level crosstalk from the unselected but connected input playing white noise. I'm not sure I understand your question.
Low level crosstalk, in my understanding, is something that cannot be picked up by the human ear. Both Nobsound switchers I own (3in-1out & 3out-1in) have the crosstalk that I cannot call "low level." The signal bleed is so strong that I can easily make out each single word in the song lyrics coming from an unselected input or going to an unselected output at high volume.

I asked my question because I didn't understand why such a major flaw hadn't been detected during the test. Poor isolation makes these switchers absolutely useless.

Hemi

I think it shouldn't.
I'm not an electronics engineer but I think poor isolation in such switchers affects the source signal, because when it bounces back and forth between all the inputs/outputs, it pollutes the active channels.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not an electronics engineer but I think poor isolation in such switchers affects the source signal, because when it bounces back and forth between all the inputs/outputs, it pollutes the active channels.
Sounds interesting. But it seems it can't be seen here on measurements, so won't be audible.

poopy

Low level crosstalk, in my understanding, is something that cannot be picked up by the human ear. Both Nobsound switchers I own (3in-1out & 3out-1in) have the crosstalk that I cannot call "low level." The signal bleed is so strong that I can easily make out each single word in the song lyrics coming from an unselected input or going to an unselected output at high volume.

I asked my question because I didn't understand why such a major flaw hadn't been detected during the test. Poor isolation makes these switchers absolutely useless.
I understand your point. However, I don't think it is a concern for most of users. Once you've selected the source you want to use, it makes sense to turn off the other sources. In this 'normal' configuration, measurements are impeccable. Typical situation is switching between a DAC and AV pre-pro, or switching between different DACs with different features. It is not designed for instant A/B tests with all your sources turned on sending high-level signals at the same time to the switcher.

Hemi

A/B listening tests is part of my hobby. I'm glad I've found the switcher that doesn't have crosstalk issues. Its price is the only drawback.

1648611041326.jpeg

Hemi

poopy

A/B listening tests is part of my hobby. I'm glad I've found the switcher that doesn't have crosstalk issues. Its price is the only drawback.

View attachment 196420
Since the Coleman MS6A does't seem to have any wired remote capability (unlike the 7.1SW), how do you perform your A/B tests? Do you need to sit right in front of your rack so that you can switch between the sources? Assuming your rack lies in between your speakers, you may be sitting too close to your speakers preventing you from drawing any relevant conclusions from your A/B tests.

For $850 you could get the combo Topping Pre90+Ext90. You can switch between 4 sources (3 balanced + 1 unbalanced) with a remote control. And when you don't do your A/B tests, you still have one of the best measuring preamps on the market.

Hemi

Since the Coleman MS6A does't seem to have any wired remote capability (unlike the 7.1SW), how do you perform your A/B tests? Do you need to sit right in front of your rack so that you can switch between the sources? Assuming your rack lies in between your speakers, you may be sitting too close to your speakers preventing you from drawing any relevant conclusions from your A/B tests.

For $850 you could get the combo Topping Pre90+Ext90. You can switch between 4 sources (3 balanced + 1 unbalanced) with a remote control. And when you don't do your A/B tests, you still have one of the best measuring preamps on the market.
The rack sits on my desk within easy reach. I listen to headphones most of the time, so I don't need the RC for the switcher.

poopy

The rack sits on my desk within easy reach. I listen to headphones most of the time, so I don't need the RC for the switcher.
Fair point, I didn't realise you were performing your A/B test mainly with headphones.

Top Bottom