• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nobsound 3-IN-1-OUT XLR Audio Switch Review

poopy

The
$200 more for wooden end caps. The one reviewed here is hard to beat. Worth the price for the Neutrik connectors alone. Well, if they're real.
The ones I have recently bought from Douk Audio don't have the Neutrik logo/writing on the XLR connectors. The logo is the one of Yongsheng (Ningbo Neutrik Electronic).

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Main (10).jpg

poopy

Merci Vintage Flanker for your review!
Good to see that this cheaper version performs same.

I went for the pro version because all the xlr connectors are at the back.

Paid about 50 euro each without VAT for the pro version from AliExpress, little bear audio shop.

The source switch has a nice feeling. However, the case is a bit too light and the source switch is not perfectly aligned. Further, the xlr connectors are not the real Neutrik ones.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Merci Vintage Flanker for your review!
Good to see that this cheaper version performs same.

I went for the pro version because all the xlr connectors are at the back.

Paid about 50 euro each without VAT for the pro version from AliExpress, little bear audio shop.

The source switch has a nice feeling. However, the case is a bit too light and the source switch is not perfectly aligned. Further, the xlr connectors are not the real Neutrik ones.
The larger pro version does not have Neutrik XLR's, but the smaller version Vintage Flanker reviewed does. I have one of each.

poopy

The larger pro version does not have Neutrik XLR's, but the smaller version Vintage Flanker reviewed does. I have one of each.
That's indeed the case on VintageFlanker' pictures. Haven't paid attention, thanks for pointing out.

It seems that the pro version had the real Neutrik connectors at some point (until Covid period)? Pictures of the pro shown on AliExpress do have the Neutrik connectors. However, I'm not the only to report that recent units only have the Chinese version.

duffer5

I see that they have changed the XLR connectors to a generic connector instead of the former Neutrik brand. Any concern going forward with the purchase with this change?

pjsage

Like others have said, I have a problem with this staying put on my desk due to its light weight.

Anyone try one of these? Seems like a slightly better build for not much more.

I wish they used Neutrik connectors but probably doesn’t matter.

Labjr

Major Contributor
Like others have said, I have a problem with this staying put on my desk due to its light weight.

Not bad looking. Aside from mechanical quality, I doubt the jacks make any difference. They're panel mounted jacks so they could easily be replaced. Although using Neutrik would probably be half the price of the unit. Might as well build it from scratch.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

1666210941583.png

Maybe this would work. I haven't tried them on mine, but might. $5 for this many.

Labjr

Major Contributor
Add a steel plate inside for weight and put some 3M rubber feet on it to keep it from slipping.

duffer5

Update: Thanks to this helpful group / thread I went ahead with the purchase along with a few sets of top tier Worlds Best Cables (XLR Cables) Couldn’t be happier. Works as advertised and zero added noise. Side note the little bear does have the Neutrik imprint on the XLR connections. Now I can’t tell you if the connections are legit Neutrik’s but based on functionality I have no reason to doubt their legitimacy. Thanks again to this group.

PolloLoco

I've been waiting this for so long...
To be fair I was waiting for the 3-IN-3-OUT XLR Balanced / RCA Stereo.
View attachment 47150
View attachment 47151

Should we expect the same results?
I would recommend being cautious with this switch. I was using it for over a year - using it just to switch between two inputs. One input would be direct from my DAC, the other would go through a tube preamp. It worked great and I was quite happy.

The problem started when I added a second output. Originally I was going direct to a Stax SRM 717 amp. I then bought a Monoprice THX 887 amp for dynamic and planar headphones and connected to the second output. I got no sound, then high distortion at high volumes. After debugging and swapping cables - I narrowed it down to the switch. If the THX was the only output - it was fine. The instant I connected my Stax amp to the switch - the THX amp powered off. Then it died - it wouldn't power on again.

The 1 to 2 version is probably fine if you can live with the cross-talk, but be very careful with this 3x3 option.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
maybe you should turn off all power to your xlr source devices before you use the phyiscial switch

this has the same mentality that some companies have where they ask you to remove the 12v wall wart power before you plug it into their device lest their be 'sparking'

PolloLoco

maybe you should turn off all power to your xlr source devices before you use the phyiscial switch

this has the same mentality that some companies have where they ask you to remove the 12v wall wart power before you plug it into their device lest their be 'sparking'
I think that would defeat the purpose of this switch for a lot of people. If you have two sources powered on - say a solid state DAC and a tube Preamp, you can quickly switch inputs and get an instant comparison of the sound quality. I loved that.

I don't think switching inputs was ever the problem, having two sources connected when powered OFF was the problem. I've now read on other forums about another switch, and here about the Freya - that these switch devices may have a problem if the amp you're using shorts it's inputs when powered off. The same issues were described, low volume and high distortion.

The only thing I found that was a little odd was that like the switch in this thread - when I opened it up - mine had the grounds tied together for all inputs and sources. Perhaps that leads to the cross-talk and issues with amps that short their inputs?

Anyone know of a switch that completely isolates the sources and inputs from each other?

Hemi

Anyone know of a switch that completely isolates the sources and inputs from each other?
I've tried several input switchers. The only selector I found that didn't have such cross-talk issues was the Coleman Audio MS6.
1669147319543.png

PolloLoco

I've tried several input switchers. The only selector I found that didn't have such cross-talk issues was the Coleman Audio MS6.
View attachment 245400
Thank you for the recommendation! Despite the high price, if it had more than one output I might bite! The cheap switch I had wasn't an issue until I added a second output amp.

As it is - I decided to get a Schiit audio Saga - but won't use my Stax amp as one of it's outputs. I suspect my Monoprice THX and Adcom GFA 545 don't short their inputs, so they will hopefully coexist with the Schiit preamp.

Jimrod

I'm in the market for a device just like this to switch between two different preamps sharing one power amp and stereo speakers. I'm willing to spend to get a Coleman unit, but i'm wondering which one. The "mono switch" on the MS6A seems like it would be useful to anyone using a stereo vinyl cartridge who might occasionally want to spin a mono record. I mostly listen to high-res digital but have a vinyl collection that i enjoy so this would seem to be a good way to kill to birds with one stone (I'm not buying a dedicated mono cartridge for the few mono records i own). I know vinyl isn't really for this forum but thought i'd ask the group if i'm interpreting that feature correctly as i can't find a pdf manual online for those Coleman units. Any reason not to get the MS6A over the standard MS6 if it gives me that mono option i'm otherwise missing?

poopy

Why don't you want to consider a nobsound? Is it again this story in which some people like having all their sources on?

Jimrod

Why don't you want to consider a nobsound? Is it again this story in which some people like having all their sources on?
My phono stage is always on (no control over that). The nobsound would probably do the job just fine, but i'd rather avoid risk of issues in future configurations i haven't thought of yet! Plus this mono switch option makes it compelling if it will do what I think it will do. Also happy supporting a more local US business.

Top Bottom