• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nobsound 3-IN-1-OUT XLR Audio Switch Review

Celty

Is there a 3 in 1 out switch out there for 4-pin xlr headphone cables? i.e. 3 amps feeding in, selectable to one headphone?

Sparky

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks to both @amirm and @LTig for testing this device. I was wondering if it would be a good choice to use for HT Bypass duties, looks to be perfect for that use.

Yeah, same scenario for me......any answer on this?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Yeah, same scenario for me......any answer on this?
I don't know what there is to answer. Yes, if you want to switch two entirely different systems with it, you can.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
!s it a stereo or mono amp?

Power amps usually only have one input per channel, although some have both an RCA/phono input and an XLR input.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Please tell us what stereo amp has only one input?

I'm guessing he means one input per channel, but he wants to switch between 2 pre-amp outputs, one from a DAC and one from an AVR.

In which case, I would think that something like the Nobsound MC-103 Pro 3-IN-1-OUT XLR Audio Switcher would be ideal.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm guessing he means one input per channel, but he wants to switch between 2 pre-amp outputs, one from a DAC and one from an AVR.

In which case, I would think that something like the Nobsound MC-103 Pro 3-IN-1-OUT XLR Audio Switcher would be ideal.
I have one, works a charm. Ive actually got a 3 in one out and a 1 in 3 out- multiple DACs to multiple amps! No issues noted. No noise etc.

StinkyPete

Exactly. Would there be a difference between the switch or a Y splitter as in the link i posted?

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
The short answer is: I don't know.

Could there be a possiblity of ground loops or interference from the preamp that isn't on?

I had a DAC with a single set of phono/RCA outputs and I used a RCA "Y" adapter to connect it to both my preamp and my headphone amp at the same time and it worked fine using one or the other or both at the same time, but this is a bit different.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Exactly. Would there be a difference between the switch or a Y splitter as in the link i posted?

Yes- the switcher is switchable. You can run both sources and only one will be selected at a time into the power amp. No idea what happens when you use a 2 to 1 Y splitter on an input, they are usually for 1 source to 2 input devices. You'd be using to combine.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Possibly. A Y-splitter (actually, a combiner, not a splitter, in your case) parallels the two sources and the impedance drop may affect levels.

jruser

At one point, I had a passive switch box going into an Emotiva amp. If I changed inputs on the switch box while the amp was on, the amp would go into protection mode and turn itself off. No problems if I switched while the amp was off.

It was a good enough setup for me, but wasn't too friendly for the wife. I eventually switched back to a preamp with a remote and HT bypass.

Trdat

Forum Donor
I went out and bought this got excited I can switch through different amps but just realised that A/B testing with the same speakers might not be possible. Can I connect the cable running say from 2 different amps to the same speaker, ultimately the cables meet to the same banana plug?

Would this work? I will be using one in obviously the DAC and 2 amps out.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Can I connect the cable running say from 2 different amps to the same speaker, ultimately the cables meet to the same banana plug?
No. Each amp will load/short the output of the other. You need a different switch for this.

Trdat

Forum Donor
No. Each amp will load/short the output of the other. You need a different switch for this.

Thanks for the reply Karl. I will look further into it....

Top Bottom