• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New version of Sennheiser HD 560S (!)

gradyoactive

I just picked up the 2023 version of the 560s on eBay, before I realized there were different versions, and after reading through this thread and all the others comparing the two versions that I could find, I still have a question that hasn't been fully addressed:

I will be using these for gaming, competitive shooters specifically, which means the most important qualities are accurate imaging and soundstage. I chose the 560s because it is highly regarded for gaming, as its accurate imaging makes it easy to determine exactly where each sound is coming from. Is there any noticeable difference between the old and new versions when it comes to this?

One person earlier in this thread mentioned he was disappointed in the new 560s for gaming, but he didn't have an old version to compare it to. Do the less pronounced highs of the new version muddle the imaging?

Thanks

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just picked up the 2023 version of the 560s on eBay, before I realized there were different versions, and after reading through this thread and all the others comparing the two versions that I could find, I still have a question that hasn't been fully addressed:

I will be using these for gaming, competitive shooters specifically, which means the most important qualities are accurate imaging and soundstage. I chose the 560s because it is highly regarded for gaming, as its accurate imaging makes it easy to determine exactly where each sound is coming from. Is there any noticeable difference between the old and new versions when it comes to this?

One person earlier in this thread mentioned he was disappointed in the new 560s for gaming, but he didn't have an old version to compare it to. Do the less pronounced highs of the new version muddle the imaging?

Thanks
I haven't done a direct comparison in the same session, but I didn't notice issues with using the New Version HD560s for Virtual 7.1 Surround gaming (online multiplayer fps). It's possible the slightly higher treble of the old version HD560s could give you a bit of an advantage for hearing things like footsteps and some higher pitched clanking/clinkling sounds that enemies might make, but the New Version HD560s is a better balanced headphone for realistic immersion than the old version due to better overall tonality of the New Version.

gradyoactive

I haven't done a direct comparison in the same session, but I didn't notice issues with using the New Version HD560s for Virtual 7.1 Surround gaming (online multiplayer fps). It's possible the slightly higher treble of the old version HD560s could give you a bit of an advantage for hearing things like footsteps and some higher pitched clanking/clinkling sounds that enemies might make, but the New Version HD560s is a better balanced headphone for realistic immersion than the old version due to better overall tonality of the New Version.
Thanks. These are my first open back headphones, and so far they sound incredible. I'm bit of a basshead, so I've been using the bass boost on my JDS Labs C5 and cmoyBB amps for music. The 560s have pretty good sub-bass extension, but IMO fairly weak bass levels for my tastes, and boosting really helps the overall bass level. I also played Gears of War for a couple hours, and the imaging is fantastic -- definitely going to give me a competitive advantage. I'm glad I got the new version, because I probably won't be EQing very often, and the imaging seems more than adequate.

But I stupidly forgot how loud my A/C is, and didn't realize that open back headphones would block virtually zero outside noise. Do you know of any closed back headphones that come anywhere near the accurate imaging of the 560s, with a decent and round soundstage (and detachable cables, so I can add a mic)?

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

donunus

The new version is better than the old one if neutral is the target. The old one had weird unnatural highs while the new ones I just got are instantly natural to me. I love these cans. Probably the best cans for the money.

elirend

I want to buy a new pair of headphones from the HD598, and the candidates are HD560S and HE400SE.
Any advice?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I want to buy a new pair of headphones from the HD598, and the candidates are HD560S and HE400SE.
Any advice?
I can offer my point of view. I don't have the HE400SE, but I do have the HE4XX, and in my experience the HD560s has better potential once both are optimally EQ'd, and out of the box the HD560s is more accurate when comparing both without EQ. That's my experience.

zonk

Any advice?

Depending on your location at the Sennheiser Outlet EU offers the HD560S refurbished for 99€. It's a very good deal.

https://www.sennheiser-hearing.com/de-DE/p/hd-560s-refurbished/cl80crbfi0icx0buljlffayr9/

Edit:
The Hifiman on Amazon for 119€.
https://www.amazon.de/HiFiMAN-HE400se-Kopfhörer-Nutzung-Technologie/dp/B08ZJM3N22/

Both headphones are very good. The construction of the HE400SE is quite simply but is ok. It's a personal thing which one is more comfortable. If you have the possibility to eq, both can make you happy

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The new version is better than the old one if neutral is the target. The old one had weird unnatural highs while the new ones I just got are instantly natural to me. I love these cans. Probably the best cans for the money.
I agree with you on that if using both at stock without EQ, the New Version is better in that situation, but I'm not so sure when both are EQ'd. I can't seem to get them to sound the same as each other even when measuring them on miniDSP EARS, it might be because the driver to ear distance is different between the New Version & Old Version. The New Version has softer pads so I can noticeably feel less space in the earcups when wearing them, so the driver is perceptibly closer to eardrum than the Old Version - it's for sure mm differences, but I think it's creating variation in my miniDSP EARS measurements that is making a direct comparison between the measurements a bit more inaccurate. My best EQ for the Old Version is more detailed in bass & treble than my best EQ for the New Version (& possible Old Version has slightly bigger soundstage), but the New Version EQ'd is a bit more relaxed & even in it's overall presentation - sometimes I like one or the other more, so it's a bit confusing, but one thing's for sure is that the New Version is superior when used at stock without EQ vs the Old Version without EQ.

EDIT: I think I can improve my comparison process though. I think I should level match the EQ's. I could measure perhaps A-weighted music playback of same spectrally dense track (averaged) on my miniDSP EARS rig and level match each EQ. A faff though, but probably worth it to get more conclusive. I'd also have to decide on what SPL level to listen and measure at, because loud or quiet playback volume can change preferred EQ - would have to choose a safe & most used playback level.

Last edited:

donunus

I agree with you on that if using both at stock without EQ, the New Version is better in that situation, but I'm not so sure when both are EQ'd. I can't seem to get them to sound the same as each other even when measuring them on miniDSP EARS, it might be because the driver to ear distance is different between the New Version & Old Version. The New Version has softer pads so I can noticeably feel less space in the earcups when wearing them, so the driver is perceptibly closer to eardrum than the Old Version - it's for sure mm differences, but I think it's creating variation in my miniDSP EARS measurements that is making a direct comparison between the measurements a bit more inaccurate. My best EQ for the Old Version is more detailed in bass & treble than my best EQ for the New Version (& possible Old Version has slightly bigger soundstage), but the New Version EQ'd is a bit more relaxed & even in it's overall presentation - sometimes I like one or the other more, so it's a bit confusing, but one thing's for sure is that the New Version is superior when used at stock without EQ vs the Old Version without EQ.
By the way, now I am wondering if we were to want an identical pad replacement to what came with them, I wonder if the hd559 pads would still be the one for the new version meaning they changed the softness of the replacements as well or if we should get the hd400 pro pads which I also found on amazon.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
By the way, now I am wondering if we were to want an identical pad replacement to what came with them, I wonder if the hd559 pads would still be the one for the new version meaning they changed the softness of the replacements as well or if we should get the hd400 pro pads which I also found on amazon.
Searching on the Sennheiser website the HD559 pads are the replacement pads for the HD560s, whereas HD400 Pro doesn't even exist on their support pages for pad replacement, so I'm assuming the best bet would be to order the HD559 pads from Sennheiser. They're probably the softer New Version pads unless they've got a seperate storage of the harder pads (from the Old Version) that they're waiting to get through in their replacement pads stock, I don't know which is more likely. The pads seem very hard wearing on the HD560s, I've not had to replace the pads yet on my most used Old Version HD560s, they look and feel as new as far as I can tell, and are still markedly firmer than the soft pads that came with the New Version headphones. The HD400 Pro pads you found on Amazon, they're probably aftermarket pads. If I was you I'd order the HD559 pads from Sennheiser.

EDIT: now I'm thinking about it, given that the HD560s pads seem so hardwearing, perhaps it's quite likely that replacement pads are the harder pads of the Old Version as I'd imagine they don't get many replacement pad requests. However, if they don't really have seperate replacement pad storage & instead they just dip into the reservoir of pads that they're currently using for production then they'll be the soft New Version ones. I don't know how they operate though at Sennheiser re these points. Or maybe even Sennheiser are aware that the New Version soft pads sound better, so perhaps they've scrapped whatever stock of replacement Old Version pads they had and now only use the New Version soft pads. Or maybe towards the end of the production run of the Old Version HD560s they knowingly started to dwindle down their Old Version stock of replacement pads to time it so that after a year or two the replacement pads stock switch over to the softer New Version pads, as perhaps people only really buy replacement pads after a couple of years of ownership - so maybe the replacement pad stock will just mimic the production change but staggered/delayed by 2 years. Unknowns.

Last edited:

donunus

Searching on the Sennheiser website the HD559 pads are the replacement pads for the HD560s, whereas HD400 Pro doesn't even exist on their support pages for pad replacement, so I'm assuming the best bet would be to order the HD559 pads from Sennheiser. They're probably the softer New Version pads unless they've got a seperate storage of the harder pads (from the Old Version) that they're waiting to get through in their replacement pads stock, I don't know which is more likely. The pads seem very hard wearing on the HD560s, I've not had to replace the pads yet on my most used Old Version HD560s, they look and feel as new as far as I can tell, and are still markedly firmer than the soft pads that came with the New Version headphones. The HD400 Pro pads you found on Amazon, they're probably aftermarket pads. If I was you I'd order the HD559 pads from Sennheiser.

EDIT: now I'm thinking about it, given that the HD560s pads seem so hardwearing, perhaps it's quite likely that replacement pads are the harder pads of the Old Version as I'd imagine they don't get many replacement pad requests. However, if they don't really have seperate replacement pad storage & instead they just dip into the reservoir of pads that they're currently using for production then they'll be the soft New Version ones. I don't know how they operate though at Sennheiser re these points. Or maybe even Sennheiser are aware that the New Version soft pads sound better, so perhaps they've scrapped whatever stock of replacement Old Version pads they had and now only use the New Version soft pads. Or maybe towards the end of the production run of the Old Version HD560s they knowingly started to dwindle down their Old Version stock of replacement pads to time it so that after a year or two the replacement pads stock switch over to the softer New Version pads, as perhaps people only really buy replacement pads after a couple of years of ownership - so maybe the replacement pad stock will just mimic the production change but staggered/delayed by 2 years. Unknowns.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Strange that they're findable on Amazon US rather than on Sennheiser website, I also couldn't find them on Amazon UK. They're probably just the same HD559 pads that you can order from Sennheiser for the HD560s. Although has anybody here bought an HD400 Pro recently, are they the softer pads that are on the HD560s New Version or are they the harder pads of the HD560s Old Version?

donunus

This is rare information. I couldn't find anything in detail talking about it anywhere. I sent Sennheiser an email. I hope someone replies with clarity on the matter. I want to keep this sound if the pads ever wear out.

This is the message...
I would like to know what pads are used on the latest revision of the hd560s headphones. What is the spare part number or what is it called? I noticed that the pads on this newer revision is softer than the one back in 2020. Is this still the hd559 pads? Has the spare part itself changed in softness or do these headphones use identical pads as the hd400 pro which I found available on amazon. I am being particular with the exact pads here because when the time comes that I need to replace them, I don't want to change the sound at all since I love the latest revision sound of the hd560s. Thanks

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is rare information. I couldn't find anything in detail talking about it anywhere. I sent Sennheiser an email. I hope someone replies with clarity on the matter. I want to keep this sound if the pads ever wear out.

This is the message...
I would like to know what pads are used on the latest revision of the hd560s headphones. What is the spare part number or what is it called? I noticed that the pads on this newer revision is softer than the one back in 2020. Is this still the hd559 pads? Has the spare part itself changed in softness or do these headphones use identical pads as the hd400 pro which I found available on amazon. I am being particular with the exact pads here because when the time comes that I need to replace them, I don't want to change the sound at all since I love the latest revision sound of the hd560s. Thanks
It'll be interesting to see if they acknowledge a difference, as that will be the first stumbling block you come up against. If they do acknowledge the change then I hope they can answer your question as to whether HD559 pads you can buy as replacement from Sennheiser are the New Version Softer Pads or the previous Old Version Harder Pads, and indeed where the pads for the HD400 Pro fit within this. They may not fully grasp what you're asking but the first stumbling block will have to be whether or not they acknowledge that the HD560s pads have changed in firmness since their original launch.

Alchemist_

It’s interesting, if the ear pads have been changed, then what ear pads should I buy for them (about spare ones), the same as before from 559? 559 Did they change the ear pads 559 too?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s interesting, if the ear pads have been changed, then what ear pads should I buy for them (about spare ones), the same as before from 559? 559 Did they change the ear pads 559 too?
We don't know, this conversation has already been had just a few posts above. If I was you I'd just take the risk and buy the HD559 pads from Sennheiser (which are the right ones for HD560s), and then you can let us know if they're the same soft ones that come with the New Version HD560s or if they're the harder ones from the Old Version HD560s.

This is the message...
Did Sennheiser come back to you with a reply?

Top Bottom