• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New version of Sennheiser HD 560S (!)

Bleib

Major Contributor
So, it seems to worse

Dazerdoreal

It seems to me that they realized that their 560s is too competitive for its own product range. The difference to the 6 models became too small, especially in europe where you cannot get a 6xx.

Thats why they first release the 400 pro (basically the same phone but more expensive) and now downgrade the 560s.

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I can't be sure, but I think the reddit threads seem to be USA/Canada focussed. I've not seen anyone specifically mention European or other countries having the shorter 1.8m cable terminating in a 3.5mm plug with screw-on 6.35mm adaptor.

Oddly Sennheiser's own website has an image of the old 3m cable ending in 1/4" with a short 1/4" - 1/8" adaptor cable, accompanied with the new cable text:
1674230019995.png

I feel uneasy about anecdotal reports of folks comparing old-style against the new-variant they just bought and discovering significant enough sonic differences to return the new short-cable ones. Hmm.
It's a known phenomenon that pad changes, even newer/fresher vs. worn can make a difference. Perhaps it's just the pads making the difference and not a cut-price driver? Dare I sound like I am speculating and throwing petrol onto a candle flame.

OP
jensgk

jensgk

Forum Donor
I can't be sure, but I think the reddit threads seem to be USA/Canada focussed. I've not seen anyone specifically mention European or other countries having the shorter 1.8m cable terminating in a 3.5mm plug with screw-on 6.35mm adaptor.

I don't know. It could be a specific USA/Canada model.

I feel uneasy about anecdotal reports of folks comparing old-style against the new-variant they just bought and discovering significant enough sonic differences to return the new short-cable ones. Hmm.
It's a known phenomenon that pad changes, even newer/fresher vs. worn can make a difference. Perhaps it's just the pads making the difference and not a cut-price driver? Dare I sound like I am speculating and throwing petrol onto a candle flame.

I don't think anyone here has suggested that the shorter cable should have any impact on sound quality. I am, however, a bit worried that these changes could include other cost cutting issues with the drivers other critical parts.

L5730

I don't think anyone here has suggested that the shorter cable should have any impact on sound quality. I am, however, a bit worried that these changes could include other cost cutting issues with the drivers other critical parts.
Yes, very doubtful that the cable change will make any measurable difference to sound, agreed. I was focussing on the cable as it is the obvious difference and is listed on the packaging, apparently.
Indeed, the concern is if the actual headphone is no longer within margins of error of what has been measured and expected.

Jon wise

Oddly Sennheiser's own website has an image of the old 3m cable ending in 1/4" with a short 1/4" - 1/8" adaptor cable, accompanied with the new cable text:
View attachment 258564

This is what I received from Audio Affair in the UK December 2022, No problem with the shorter cable and connectors but would be livid if I found out there was a driver downgrade.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The product manager just told me only the cable (shorter and with threaded 3.5mm + 6.3 adapter) and fabric for the headband has changed.
No changes to the driver nor to the pads or chassis.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds to me like they are trying to keep costs down on making it.

DarrylG

Whatever the headband cushion is made of, I hope they make it available as a replacement part. I haven't been able to find a replacement for mine.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The product manager just told me only the cable (shorter and with threaded 3.5mm + 6.3 adapter) and fabric for the headband has changed.
That is good to hear, because silent revisions that affect sound are not a welcome attribute for a headphone or headphone company! Sennheiser really do strike me as being the most reliable headphone company, they're doing it right!

asrUser

The fabric changed? I don't know how the earlier ones were, but the new fabric or the glue is pulling some hair. Is it normal?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

solderdude

Grand Contributor

It looks like the sound did change after all.
Got a new version in (with the shorter cable) and it is indeed different so the subjective reports of less clarity seem correct.
No idea why the product manager did not know about this.
new vs orig.png

It looks like the newer version has also had changes to the driver as the frequency response is slightly more extended in the lows and the treble above 4kHz is an (audible) 3dB lower in level compared to the original version.
It could do with a little less lower treble (4-7kHz) but the upper treble did not really need to be lowered.

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It looks like the sound did change after all.
Got a new version in (with the shorter cable) and it is indeed different so the subjective reports of less clarity seem correct.
No idea why the product manager did not know about this.
View attachment 314152
It looks like the newer version has also had changes to the driver as the frequency response is slightly more extended in the lows and the treble above 4kHz is an (audible) 3dB lower in level compared to the original version.
It could do with a little less lower treble (4-7kHz) but the upper treble did not really need to be lowered.
Interesting that you measured a difference between the "new" HD560s (shorter cable) as the headphone is supposed to be identical except for the different cable. I know you measured 3 units of the "old" HD560s and they showed low unit to unit variation (which is good & also the same low unit to unit variation I saw when I measured my 3 units), but I'm wondering if with this "new" HD560s that you've measured that it's just down to unit to unit variation. Did you measure just the one "new" HD560s? To be honest I like the look of the frequency response of the "new" HD560s better in your graph as that is more in-line with the parametric EQ that I apply to it, albeit I wack up the subbass a good deal more and they've taken down the treble above 10kHz more than I would with my parametric EQ. But, I'd be a bit disappointed if Sennheiser have really done a silent update on the sonic signature of the HD560s as I value predictability within a product - they should either say they've updated it or give it a new name. I think it's important that the consumer knows exactly what they're getting with a headphone, predictability and low unit to unit variation is key. As far as I remember Sennheiser reps have said that nothing has changed within the headphone.
(This is the same copy & pasted message I did to you in the other thread, I hadn't realised you'd posted in two different threads at the time).

EDIT: for what it's worth the difference you see in your graph is greater than the variance of unit to unit variation seen within my 3 units of "old" HD560s that I measured (see following graph measured on miniDSP EARS rig), which could add a bit more validity to your statement that the "new" version is different:

Attachments

• HD560s all units AVG of left & right channel.jpg
    HD560s all units AVG of left & right channel.jpg
    550.6 KB · Views: 354
Last edited:
Top Bottom