• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New SMSL A300 BTL Class-d Power Amp

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am very interested in the A300 amp, but about the impressions you reported about the highs, it wasn't clear to me, is the highs uncomfortable? or is it a matter of pairing with the other components? I intend to use this amp with speakers and DAC with a more neutral/laid-back/warm sound (which is what I like the most, at the same time I also like a bit of resolution and soundstage), could this compensate for the painful/piercing possible strong highs? I have a little sensitivity, although I already know that they are refined highs.
The amp does not have post filter feedback, so the highs can be rolled off or there can be high frequency peaking, depending on the speaker. When I used this amp with a speaker that has a negative phase at high frequencies the peaking was pretty severe. So there can be some issues with the highs in these kind of amplifiers. You can get an idea of this from Figure 4.7.3 in the MA5332 data sheet:

Marcos Mazur

Maybe my ears are lying, but I use the same setup as with class AB amp (EQ slightly V form) because most often I use only 25-35% of the volume. More power realize good bass at low volume. It's all subjective. An amplifier is not too expensive, try it.
I just bought it and will try, man
Thanks for the feedback

Marcos Mazur

The amp does not have post filter feedback, so the highs can be rolled off or there can be high frequency peaking, depending on the speaker. When I used this amp with a speaker that has a negative phase at high frequencies the peaking was pretty severe. So there can be some issues with the highs in these kind of amplifiers. You can get an idea of this from Figure 4.7.3 in the MA5332 data sheet:
I had not yet observed these data, it seems to me that the use of more aggressive tweeter in the high frequencies tends to increase the ''presence'' and bright information, which can sometimes be worse if the DAC in question delivers very lively highs, even if they are good, this is inevitable , but can this problem be avoided by using more ''roll-off'' and warmish speaker? I'm always a little suspicious of EQ efficiency, it seems to be more a matter of slight taste and not tonal treatment itself, not to mention that in ''direct mode'' as described in the reviews, it tends to sound better, not having that option of EQ tone, most of the bookshelf on the market tend to stretch the highs, even the ones that are described as flat, as I have nowhere to run, I really need a speaker that is at least neutral, a dead and informative sound laid-back speaker doesn't seem to be something affordable on the market.
Thanks

Last edited:

Pippo

Would the ground pin not being connected potentially cause any safety issues? Does the isolation plate mitigate any issues? Just curious as I just purchased this and don't have much experience with audio gear and have little ones running around potentially touching the chassis. Cheers!
That screw is most likely meant to ground the inter-unit audio cable. My Inakustik cable has a screen for just that. It doesn't seem plausible that household appliances would need to be grounded against AC shock. But, who knows.
I haven't done any measurements yet because I can't hear any parasitic distortion by ear.

Wartman

That screw is most likely meant to ground the inter-unit audio cable. My Inakustik cable has a screen for just that. It doesn't seem plausible that household appliances would need to be grounded against AC shock. But, who knows.
I haven't done any measurements yet because I can't hear any parasitic distortion by ear.
Thanks for the reply! Really my only concern seeing a ground pin not being connected was safety. I emailed SMSL and the reply was basically don't worry about it, which is what I kind of expected.

yodog

The amplifier chip used in SMSL A300 is not MA12070.
The A300 uses the same MURAS MA5332MS chip.

SMSL products using MA12070 include SA300, DA-6, DA-8s, DA-9, A100, AO200, and A12.
The products using MA5332MS are A300 and SabajA20a 2022.

Which chip is better?

Toku

Major Contributor
Which chip is better?
The MA12070 and MA5332MS are the same Infineon amplifier chip, but their backgrounds are different and their personalities are different.
The MA12070 features excellent power efficiency and low noise. The operation of the amplifier can also be programmed externally via I2C.
On the other hand, the MA5332MS is a little less power efficient, but can output much more power than the MA12070. However, the noise characteristics are slightly worse. I understand that the MA5332MS is an evolved version of the IRS209* strain that has existed before.
I have purchased and tested DA-9, AO200, SA300, PA3 with MA12070 and A20a 2022, A300 with MA5332MS, but he can't comment clearly which chip is better.
The sound quality is slightly different, but I like both sounds. As for the sound quality, I think it's best to check it with your own ears.

Pippo

MA12070 - 2xBTL realised on chip, single voltage power supply = less power, less noise
MA5532 - 2 shannel stereo amp, BTL realise with 2 devices, dual voltage power supply (better ??) as class AB amp = more power, i think same noise, because comfortable use with less wolume

Which chip is better? Depends on the type of use. I think, AO200 is very good amp, but personally I bought the A300 because I use the less sensitive Elac dbr62 who needs more power.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The MA12070 and MA5332MS seem very different. The MA12070 is multilevel so that no or minimal output filter is required. The MA5332 seems similar to older Class D designs, but with very good efficiency and fairly high power in a tiny package.

K man

I have a question to any of you who owns this amp already.

If the amp is on and you then cut the main power supply, then connect the main power again, will the amp be on or off? Do you need to push the power button to turn it on again?

I consider connecting it to a slave power outlet.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a question to any of you who owns this amp already.

If the amp is on and you then cut the main power supply, then connect the main power again, will the amp be on or off? Do you need to push the power button to turn it on again?

I consider connecting it to a slave power outlet.
You can do that and it will turn on. I do the same, running the amp and a streamer from a power strip so I can turn them both on and off that way.

Bleib

Major Contributor
Could we make some noise so that SMSL makes a firmware update which allows for the screen to be turned off automatically after say 5 seconds?

nikb299

So I've been comparing between the A300 and the Aiyima A07/A08 Pro and trying to figure out which one I want to keep. I pair them with Elac B5.2s and they all do a reasonable job power wise. I think the A300 seems to be a bit more neutral than the Aiyimas that seem a bit more fuller. I do like the remote though and how my setup is that might end up being a dealbreaker.

Are there any amps that might be considered a significant upgrade for ~$200, so about the $400 mark? I know these Elacs are a bit power hungry.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
as stated if its power you need there's only one direct compettitor and that the sabaj sister

there's otherwise not much better as far as power stage

the digital section is NFG but you knew that coming in

Flavio

Would the A300 be different in amplifier hiss compared to the Sabaj A20a 2022?
I have two of these Sabaj amps and use them as monoblocks but I have to turn the volume knob all the way back to 9 o'clock for the hiss to be inaudible at my listening position, which is 12 feet away.
I have an Anthem MRX 720 as pre/pro and 100 dB sensitivity speakers.

HighFutility

Could I run this unit in BTL mode to run a passive sub? I only need 250w rms using a Minisdp HD for cross overs.

Bleib

Major Contributor
Would be nice...
Yes, because it's the screen that is sending garbage into the audio signal. If the screen is at max it results into more audio-signal noise. Turning it completely off should result into the purest audio.

Edit:
They replied

"Hi

Sorry,there is no plan for A300 firmware update."

that's too bad :(((( :////

Last edited:

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
Bleib, you tried and I can only appreciate the effort. We want to improve something that already performs at a very high standard especially compared to the price.

They could do it but already sells well enough and its not in the Chinese tradition to provide service after the sale. I did not expect much and so I'm not disappointed.

Top Bottom