• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New SMSL A300 BTL Class-d Power Amp

Eneen

Does this amp have auto-standby? What's power consumption in standby mode and in normal mode but when nothing plays?

Toku

Major Contributor
Does this amp have auto-standby? What's power consumption in standby mode and in normal mode but when nothing plays?
Unfortunately the A300 does not have an auto standby feature. It can be operated using the remote control or the power button on the front panel.
I think that turning off the power by pressing these buttons puts the A300 into a sleep state. To turn off the power completely, operate the power switch on the rear panel.
I've purchased several SMSL, Sabaj, and Topping amps, but I've never seen one with an auto-standby function.

Pippo

Thx! MX5 has one, but consumes about 2.5W.
On the previous page I wrote how much it consumes. I took new measurements after everything was plugged in and used for a week. It consumes 2.1-2.3 watts (avg. 2.2W) with power OFF, avg. 5.1W with power ON. Foobar 0dB, DAC 99, A300 - 25 - it uses 5.2-5.5 watts.

Boxermotor

The increased power of the A300 is tempting, but with a wonky volume knob and unbalanced inputs I think I'll pass on trying this one. For now I'll stick with my AO200 and C200 DAC/amp until a sub-$400 all-in-one DAC/headphone amp/power amp (with SW out) hits the market and scores near the top in every area. I expect Topping and SMSL will get there soon...

Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
Is there any info on the USB DAC anywhere? I cant seem to find it.
The A300 does not have a DAC chip for USB-DAC.
The S/PDIF signal from the USB input is input to the BT module and converted to analog using the DAC function for BT built into the BT module.
So the sound quality is almost the same as BT.
The USB input is just a bonus feature.

Toku

Major Contributor
That sucks :(

.. and thank you :)
Don't be disappointed.
The digital input of Class D amplifier products is usually a function using the BT module.
Doing so will improve the product image and sell better.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The A300 does not have a DAC chip for USB-DAC.
The S/PDIF signal from the USB input is input to the BT module and converted to analog using the DAC function for BT built into the BT module.
So the sound quality is almost the same as BT.
The USB input is just a bonus feature.
But presumably without the quality loss of the BT compression?

Pippo

Then you have to wait for all-in-one Loxije Ax0 with MA5332 to appear. Even Chinese manufacturers don't shoot themselves in the foot by offering a full-fledged BT in a power amplifier.
A300 nice amp, even my old speakers really shine with him.

Toku

Major Contributor
I haven't checked all BT modules, but BT modules have an external input mode, and you can input S/PDIF signals from USB/COAX/OPT to the D/AC section via I2S to obtain analog output.
The format at this time is often input at 48kHz/16bit like BT. I don't think there is any compression applied to the operation in this case.
However, there are models such as the Loxjie A30 that have a dedicated DAC chip without using a BT module.

Reactions: MCH

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't checked all BT modules, but BT modules have an external input mode, and you can input S/PDIF signals from USB/COAX/OPT to the D/AC section via I2S to obtain analog output.
The format at this time is often input at 48kHz/16bit like BT. I don't think there is any compression applied to the operation in this case.
However, there are models such as the Loxjie A30 that have a dedicated DAC chip without using a BT module.
So in this case it wont be the same sound as bluetooth, since it doesn't suffer the BT codec compression - it is just using the DAC in the BT module. So we need measurements of the USB output before we know how good (or bad) that is.

Their own measurements show 0.004% THD+N which is Sinad of about 88dB - which is not bad.

Last edited:

Bleib

Major Contributor
So in this case it wont be the same sound as bluetooth, since it doesn't suffer the BT codec compression - it is just using the DAC in the BT module. So we need measurements of the USB output before we know how good (or bad) that is.
The digital input sound is BAD, it's nowhere as close as good as any of my DACs or soundcard

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The digital input sound is BAD, it's nowhere as close as good as any of my DACs or soundcard

to be honest I'd trust the manufacturers measurements before I trusted any inividuals sighted listening for the evaluation.

Bleib

Major Contributor
to be honest I'd trust the manufacturers measurements before I trusted any inividuals sighted listening for the evaluation.
Well, companies have an economic interest in lying because it often makes them money. This has been discussed before too, and we are quite many who say the same thing.

DanielT

Major Contributor
A tip, the same amplifier chip as in the SMSL A300 is found in this amplifier module. If you are curious about it, here is the link::)

Toku

Major Contributor
A tip, the same amplifier chip as in the SMSL A300 is found in this amplifier module. If you are curious about it, here is the link::)

The amplifier chip used in SMSL A300 is not MA12070.
The A300 uses the same MURAS MA5332MS chip.

SMSL products using MA12070 include SA300, DA-6, DA-8s, DA-9, A100, AO200, and A12.
The products using MA5332MS are A300 and SabajA20a 2022.

Last edited:
Top Bottom