• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New SMSL A300 BTL Class-d Power Amp

Bleib

Major Contributor
Bleib, you tried and I can only appreciate the effort. We want to improve something that already performs at a very high standard especially compared to the price.

They could do it but already sells well enough and its not in the Chinese tradition to provide service after the sale. I did not expect much and so I'm not disappointed.
They would however easily get a better product. Cleaner audio and also less light pollution. Many want the electronics completely dark for instance when watching tv, I've seen reviews which state that the product has been returned for this reason. Hopefully they change their mind.

almosely

I just want to clarify something after weeks of reading about amps like this and often being completely misled.

I have the Loxjie A30, Aiyima D03 and SMSL A300 at home right now.

The performance of the three amps is as follows. I sort by the volume I need to reach my loudest music volume with the identical speakers at 3 meters distance:

29/100 - 29% - Aiyima D03
25/060 - 42% - Loxjie A30
26/060 - 43% - SMSL A300 (the weakest of that three)

I tested with the following speakers:

- Wharfedale 11.1
- Wharfedale 12.2
- Dali Oberon 3

By the way, the three speakers play about the same volume.

Furthermore, the Aiyima D03 is not an alternative to the Loxjie A30, since the D03 activates a high-pass filter for the stereo speakers that cannot be switched off. So you either need a speaker that doesn't play that low or you need an additional subwoofer.

Also, the stage of the Loxjie A30 is wider, which would not do without in movies. In the case of music, this is less relevant.

The D03 plays more powerfully, but not as deep. RnB, rap, hip-hop, dance, electro, etc., have quite a lot of interference with the high-pass filter here.

And the writing on the display of the D03 is so small that you can't see anything from a distance of about 1m, but that's not a problem with the other two. Likewise, the display can neither be dimmed nor switched off.

I'm so annoyed right now that I fell for all the nonsense (on the internet in general) (super powerful, way more powerful than the AO100, AO200 etc.) and bought the SMSL A300 as a result, only to find that the Loxjie A30 has more power. I compared the A300 (Bluetooth and Line-in) with the Loxjie A30 (Bluetooth and Toslink). The A300 is of course going back to the dealer.

This is for everyone who is interested in these three devices.

Zek

Major Contributor
What is the claim about the maximum power of individual amplifiers based on?

ClassicGuy

29/100 - 29% - Aiyima D03
25/060 - 42% - Loxjie A30
26/060 - 43% - SMSL A300 (the weakest of that three)

Volume knob position is not an indication of maximum power. Quite a few factors go into that. One biggest factor is whether the volume knob works in linear scale or exponential scale. Could be the case here.

almosely

What is the claim about the maximum power of individual amplifiers based on?
SMSL AO100 (MA12070)

"Output power: 70W x2 (4 Ohm)"

SMSL AO200 (MA12070 x2)

"Output power: 90W x2 (4 Ohm)"

SMSL A300 (MA5332MS see below)

"Output power stereo: 165W x2 (4 Ohm)"

Loxjie A30 (MA12070)

"Output power: 80W x2 (4 Ohm)

Statements ...

Thread name "SMSL AO100 Amplifier Class D "Subjective review"

At some time: "Ok, so I'm intrigued by these little amps, and their bigger brothers, and curious if anyone has used them on large floor standing speakers that are fairly efficient."

And the answer to that: "SMSL A300 is much more powerful and works much better, but costs 215 euros, but drives floor loudspeakers better". And in addition to that "SMSL A300 I use it with my PC station and with these speakers + sub you are seeing on the photo.
SMSL AO100 I use it with the TV I have in another room and I listen to movies and listen to the sound when I play with the Playstation. , with other small speakers + sub".

And that: "The amplifier chip used in SMSL A300 is not MA12070. The A300 uses the same MURAS MA5332MS chip."

And that one: "On the other hand, the MA5332MS is a little less power efficient, but can output much more power than the MA12070."

These for example.
Volume knob position is not an indication of maximum power. Quite a few factors go into that. One biggest factor is whether the volume knob works in linear scale or exponential scale. Could be the case here.

You are right, of course. Still disappointing.
These are quite low volumes (where the A300 doesn't shine)

Yeah, I do not like to listen (insanely, like causing hearing damage) loud anymore - the stated volume levels above are quite loud, actually. These are for music only. For watching a movie or TV, the volume is a lot lower (11-15 only). More loudness or more dynamic range with music is like "hhhmmmm, very nice, more of it :)" for me, but same for movies is like "stop yelling at me!" (I do not like that at all).
Does this mean that the A300 at lower power (quiet listening) is worse.

I don't know. But I don't want to chase the amp above 50% either, because i turned the bass and treble up to full (as a substitute for loudness) and want to avoid clipping at all costs, so as not to endanger either the amp or the speakers.
And i plan to feed the following device into the signal:

https://alldsp-oem.com/software/

It's like a stripped down miniDSP for only 90 EUR, so I can adjust the speakers to my taste with balance and parametric EQ. And that could sometimes reach -+16 dB. So there must be a lot of performance headroom.

That's why I would like to replace the actually very good Loxjie A30 with a simpler, but at least as powerful amp without DAC (less money), since the SMARD only has RCA inputs (and I operate the Loxjie on my TV, which in turn only has Toslink as a audio output).

Therefore I would like to connect a simple FiiO Taishan D03K DAC:

DAC ABX Test Phase 1: Does a SOTA DAC sound the same as a budget DAC if proper controls are put in place? Spoiler: Probably yes. :)

Then the SMARD.

Then an amp, powerful enough for that equalized signal. Clearly it's not the SMSL A300 (because with 200 EUR it's heavily overpriced for not having that amount of power and without a DAC).

Tomorrow I'll get an SMSL AO100 delivered, which I got for 110 EUR. If it performs the same as the Loxjie A30 (which cost me EUR 185) and the FiiO D03K (19 EUR) shows no audible differences to the A30's DAC, that would probably be a good, cheaper alternative to feed the SMARD.

Then I would have an Amp with a DAC, Bluetooth (aptX), parametric EQ (with Limiter, Crossover and so on, per Channel, in and out), surround DSP (integrated into the AO100) and a remote control for just 210 EUR :) ... the only thing missing would still be a dynamic range control like night mode for watching tv (espacially) but also that bang-booom-crash effects between dialogues within movies ... rrrr ...

Last edited:

Zek

Major Contributor
i turned the bass and treble up to full (as a substitute for loudness) and want to avoid clipping at all
With such a setting of the tone controls, you are very close to the amplifier going into clipping.

almosely

I should have just paid attention to the power consumptions (official statements) ...

SMSL AO100 (MA12070)

Output power: 70W x2 (4 Ohm)

BUT: Power consumption: 36W

SMSL AO200 (MA12070 x2)

Output power: 90W x2 (4 Ohm)

BUT: Power consumption: 40W (Normal Volume) <- what is "normal volume"? marketing chatter ...

SMSL A300 (MA5332MS see below)

Output power stereo: 165W x2 (4 Ohm)

BUT: Power consumption: 40W (normal volume) <- nonsense again

Loxjie A30 (MA12070)

Output power: 80W x2 (4 Ohm)

BUT: Power Consumption: 35W (normal power amplifier volume) <- aarrrggghhh!

"Max power = 40 watts" ... so, I guess, it's the same for all the above ones ...

Bleib

Major Contributor
Normal should be quite a bit lower than max output. You can find similar numbers to AVRs too which can have hundreds more watts than 2 channel amps.
The Denon 3600 states power consumption of 660w, but you'll never get close to it IRL

almosely

Normal should be quite a bit lower than max output. You can find similar numbers to AVRs too which can have hundreds more watts than 2 channel amps.
The Denon 3600 states power consumption of 660w, but you'll never get close to it IRL
So, I randomly picked two amps ...

Yamaha M-5000

Rated Output Power: 200 W + 200 W (4 ohm)
Power Consumption: 400 W

Denon PMA-1700NE

Rated Output Power: 140W + 140W (4 ohm)
Power Consumption: 295W

... so, I still think what I have said before ... 40 watt for all of them above

- edit -

I just wrote SMSL an email about that. I'm looking forward to the answer.

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
So, I randomly picked two amps ...

Yamaha M-5000

Rated Output Power: 200 W + 200 W (4 ohm)
Power Consumption: 400 W

Denon PMA-1700NE

Rated Output Power: 140W + 140W (4 ohm)
Power Consumption: 295W

... so, I still think what I have said before ... 40 watt for all of them above

- edit -

I just wrote SMSL an email about that. I'm looking forward to the answer.
You have shown data on class-D based amplifiers but now you bring up the PMA-1700NE, which is:

The company's new PMA-1700NE ($2099) is an altogether different horse for a very different course. First off, with its class-AB, ultra-high-current push-pull amps rated to deliver 70Wpc into 8 ohms (20Hz–20kHz, THD 0.07%) or 140Wpc into 4 ohms (1kHz, THD 0.7%), this beast should be able to drive pretty much any speaker I could realistically drag across my threshold.

Class-D vs Class-AB, an example:
image (2).jpeg

Screenshot_2023-02-04_062810.jpg

Edit:
Even less efficiency, here is an example of a 20 watt class-A based amplifier, which has:
Power Consumption 160 watts idle 250 watts in accordance with IEC-65

Edit:
For those who are interested, a video about different amplifier classes, a little about how they work and how efficient they are:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-02-04_071429.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-02-04_071429.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 61
  • Screenshot_2023-02-04_071454.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-02-04_071454.jpg
    624.5 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Romario

Class D doesn't need that much electricity indeed, and doesn't get hot either.
It gets even more confusing when he states that he doesn't need that much power because of the relatively low volume settings and sents it back because of the lack of power.
On the A300 the E0 setting ( tone defeat) is a better than E1 with the bass and treble to the max. There's something wrong with the source or speakers, I'm assuming.

Pippo

Something go wrong with @almosely amp. Source - trance, flat settings, room 28 m2, foobar 100%, C200 -98%, roof is moving at 2/3 of A300 volume :)

almosely

My comparison of power consumption wasn't related to efficiency, that should be obvious. If a (D-)AMP uses 40 watts, it can only put out 40 watts and not 160, right?

I had first "turned up" the A300 with Tone 0 and then turned up highs and lows. Of course, with Tone 0 it played even quieter.

The sources and loudspeakers are identical. In the event of a defect, the Loxjie would also play more quietly. That can not be the reason.

So either the A300 gets incredibly louder with every step from volume level 26 or there is a defect - or an SA300 was installed (internal) instead of the A300 by chance...

Class D doesn't need that much electricity indeed, and doesn't get hot either.
It gets even more confusing when he states that he doesn't need that much power because of the relatively low volume settings and sents it back because of the lack of power.
On the A300 the E0 setting ( tone defeat) is a better than E1 with the bass and treble to the max. There's something wrong with the source or speakers, I'm assuming.

Please re-read my statements (about using an equalizer and avoiding clipping).

And: I am testing various speakers and am unsure of which one to buy in the end. Maybe I need even more power because I will decide to use a floorstanding speaker. Right now the equalizer is not installed (it is not delivered yet), but then I have to turn up the volume level, most probably.

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My comparison of power consumption wasn't related to efficiency, that should be obvious. If a (D-)AMP uses 40 watts, it can only put out 40 watts and not 160, right?

I had first "turned up" the A300 with Tone 0 and then turned up highs and lows. Of course, with Tone 0 it played even quieter.

The sources and loudspeakers are identical. In the event of a defect, the Loxjie would also play more quietly. That can not be the reason.

So either the A300 gets incredibly louder with every step from volume level 26 or there is a defect - or an SA300 was installed (internal) instead of the A300 by chance...

Please re-read my statements (about using an equalizer and avoiding clipping).

And: I am testing various speakers and am unsure of which one to buy in the end. Maybe I need even more power because I will decide to use a floorstanding speaker. Right now the equalizer is not installed (it is not delivered yet), but then I have to turn up the volume level, most probably.
The power consumption ratings are not being consistent accross manufacturers.

On most of those you quoted, they are giveing power consumption at "typical" output levels (ie what the average user can expect to consume in energy). These levels will be very much lower than rated power, so looking at those and claiming the amp can't output rated power is ridiculous.

Then comparing a class AB (which may be 20% efficient at this level) with an Class D - which is around 85% efficient at this level, is equally ridiculous. A 50W class AB outputting 10W per channel, might be consuming 100W, where in the same conditions, a Class D amp will be consuming 23W

For the rest of your argument - you need to be understanding what the GAIN of the different amps are and what the output voltage of your source is. An amp with low gain is not lower power than an amp with high gain - it just needs a larger input voltage in order to output full power, and will need to have a higher volume setting to play at the same power. An amp with high gain on the other hand - if used with a source with high output voltage - may reach full power before the volume contol is set even close to full.

Last edited:

Romario

Also, the 40 watt is not the max power but the used power with normal listening.

almosely

As I stated above, there is no typical or normal. What should that be? One likes it quiet, another one loud, the next uses 4 ohm speakers, another 8 ohm, the next is using an EQ, the next is using it outdoors, another one in his cellar, another one is half deaf, 80 years old, the next 14 years and so on. That is pure marketing.

But what is consistent, are all of those official statements about a power consumtion around 40 watts. What is not consistent, are the magical marketing phrases ranging from 70 to 165 watts per channel at 4 ohms.

I do not compare AB- with D-class amps. My response was regarding Bleib's statement: "You can find similar numbers to AVRs too which can have hundreds more watts than 2 channel amps. The Denon 3600 ...". So I just picked randomly two of them, where that is just not true. Further comments about that, please refer to Bleib, not me. Efficiency of AB-Amps is not my interest at all.

I can't "understand" what the gain value of the A300 is because there's no information about that neither about the one from the Loxjie A30. Could someone please measure the outcome regarding the volume knob of an A300 for me/us please and stop guessing? My comparison is based of two amps, standing next to another, used with the same speakers, the same sources, and the weaker one is louder at 25/60 and the much stronger one is equally loud with a higher 26/60 volume adjustment. Why should a gain setting be like that? That would make volume regulations above 26/60 jumping way too high. considering the double performance of the A300. Actually the A300 should play twice as loud at 25. But if it is just as loud as the half-powered Loxjie at 25, it would have to be four times as loud with the remaining 35 volume options, with only 35 setting options. That makes no sense. So, the more realistic guess is, that the amp just has less power then advertised. And a tangible support for this thesis is the specification of the watt consumption with only 40 watts. So, the one side has comprehensible, actually existing and experienced bases of an assumption, the other side relies exclusively on marketing statements. Which of these is more likely correct?

Last edited:
Top Bottom