• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Shangling looks pretty bad ass!

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Wait, it's a headphone amp? $5k? How long do we expect it to last (i.e., time to failure) and how long before it's obsolete enough to be effectively useless?
What's the value add that justifies the price -- or, more to the point, the gross margin?

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wait, it's a headphone amp? $5k? How long do we expect it to last (i.e., time to failure) and how long before it's obsolete enough to be effectively useless?
What's the value add that justifies the price -- or, more to the point, the gross margin?
Seems like it's a very bells-and-whistles all-in one.

It's a DAC, it's a streamer, it's got tubes, it's got a ton of I/O, it's modular, it's battery powered...

Honestly haven't seen such a broad feature set before. If you're into massive overkill then this might be your unit.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
It's got tubes and it's battery powered‽
All righty then.

jhenderson0107

Modular.

Shanling, I don't think that means what you think it means:

1710363623646.png

Saponetto

Dammit, it checks a lot of my boxes.
Luckily, my wallet saw it coming before my brain and started to terror-shake!
Kidding... it's a nifty thing, for sure.
I like a lot its concept and aspect is very appealing but I'm not sure about its actual place in a strange market as HiFi is.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Has @amirm tested any components using the Korg VFD NuTube?
I did a quick search & didn't see any.
Maybe someone has one of Pete Millett's NuTube headphone amps sitting around & could add it to the queue?

1710365553094.jpeg

The only Pete Millett headphone amp I have uses OldTubes. ;)

realhifiglows.jpg

Bleib

Major Contributor
It's obviously high-end because of the price :D

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Seems like it's a very bells-and-whistles all-in one.

It's a DAC, it's a streamer, it's got tubes, it's got a ton of I/O, it's modular, it's battery powered...

Honestly haven't seen such a broad feature set before. If you're into massive overkill then this might be your unit.

Hopefully CD and cassette modules are forthcoming …

Bleib

Major Contributor
OP
D

dtaylo1066

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I thought my iFi mini IDSD Black Label tried to be a Swiss army knife of portable audio. Shanling went Full Monty, which is why I would like to see how it performs. For kicks I made a preamp with the Korg NuTube. The issue is that the NuTube, a novel modern triode in a tiny package, is very prone to microphonics.

sunao

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Expensive, but this thing is loaded with features. I hope they send one to Amir for review.

Where are the features? I didn’t see anything at a glance that looked like a useful feature: no PEQ, no loudness compensation, no crossfeed.

Only read quickly though. Maybe I missed something that could put this thing on a reasonable person’s radar?

Top Bottom