• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for Passive Line Level Splitter

tjcinnamon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I’m looking to split one XLR or RCA (doesn’t matter which) into 3 outputs. I could use 2 Y Splitters but I have to do it twice.

I was looking at getting 2 of these devices https://www.radialeng.com/product/lx-3 but they are pretty expensive.

Wondering if there are more boxes like this from reputable vendors but less expensive? Or perhaps 2 Y splitters (as messy as it would be) would be the way to go.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
If you can live without isolation or (active) impedance matching, why not just make one? A Hammond enclosure, the appropriate connectors, a drill & bit(s), some cabling, solder, and a soldering iron or gun and Bob's your uncle!
Otherwise, A "Y" of "Y" cables will get you where you want to go, if a bit inelegantly.

EDIT: If nothing else, a Y of Y will let you test the feasibility (in terms of the source's ability to drive your loads, ground loops, or other noise) of what you want to do inexpensively.

The gizmo in your link is expensive because of the Jensen transformers used to isolate two of the outputs. Those ain't cheap. If you want/need isolation, I wouldn't recommend cheaping out on the transformers.

Last edited:

nagster

I’m looking to split one XLR or RCA (doesn’t matter which) into 3 outputs. I could use 2 Y Splitters but I have to do it twice.

I was looking at getting 2 of these devices https://www.radialeng.com/product/lx-3 but they are pretty expensive.

Wondering if there are more boxes like this from reputable vendors but less expensive? Or perhaps 2 Y splitters (as messy as it would be) would be the way to go.
does this work?

OP
T

tjcinnamon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you can live without isolation or (active) impedance matching, why not just make one? A Hammond enclosure, the appropriate connectors, a drill & bit(s), some cabling, solder, and a soldering iron or gun and Bob's your uncle!
Otherwise, A "Y" of "Y" cables will get you where you want to go, if a bit inelegantly.

EDIT: If nothing else, a Y of Y will let you test the feasibility (in terms of the source's ability to drive your loads, ground loops, or other noise) of what you want to do inexpensively.

The gizmo in your link is expensive because of the Jensen transformers used to isolate two of the outputs. Those ain't cheap. If you want/need isolation, I wouldn't recommend cheaping out on the transformers.
The plan is to put one in these three Mix 2:1 passive summing boxes: So I need Left and Right channels from my AVR to have 3 sets of Left and 3 sets of Right. I'd be a little concerned with interference in the JL Audio connector. I need to sum L with R; L with inverse of R; and R with inverse of L.

What would the circumstances I'd be concerned with isolation?

Top Bottom