• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New "Science": FLAC vs. WAV

Mivera

Major Contributor
It's no different than D0P for DSD being completely lossless. In theory it may be but the extra processing degrades performance.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Mivera

Major Contributor
They aren't on to anything. Designing DACs teaches you nothing about proper audio evaluation.

I know how they work and I can assure you that your impressions are wrong.

After you program an FPGA to decode FLAC then come back and tell your story. This was the hardest thing to accomplish without flaws with the Resonessence Mirus SD card transport, and even after all their hard work WAV still sounds better on it.

Mivera

Major Contributor
I believe it's more like you have a very vivid imagination. :)

It funny how then layman always knows more than the top engineers with over 100 patents. All it takes is following your culture of choice on online forums and you are instantly an audio god.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Yes, processing is different between WAV and FLAC (and any other format) but the bits presented to the DAC are the same (barring bit errors that could happen with either format). Both are well-specified standards, not sure why the decoders for either would be a huge challenge.

Isolation of analog from digital is an issue with any digital format and I cannot think why FLAC and WAV would differ on that regard. The decoded digital bit stream is presented to the DAC that converts to analog, not sure why there would be any difference at that point.

Arguing religion again...

OP
dallasjustice

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
I'm going with whatever MingKhan has to say about this. King Khan, where are you?

Mivera

Major Contributor
Yes, processing is different between WAV and FLAC (and any other format) but the bits presented to the DAC are the same (barring bit errors that could happen with either format). Both are well-specified standards, not sure why the decoders for either would be a huge challenge.

Isolation of analog from digital is an issue with any digital format and I cannot think why FLAC and WAV would differ on that regard. The decoded digital bit stream is presented to the DAC that converts to analog, not sure why there would be any difference at that point.

Arguing religion again...

What actually happens is what really matters in the end. The reality is it requires extra work load, and it's also about the way the packets flow out of the processor presenting bursts of power demands on the supply that causes noise and distortions. Something forum bandits will never have first hand experience with.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I could list my credentials and first-hand experience, and explain how a competent design can isolate the two power domains, but why bother. I suppose I should change my sig to "bandit". This is why posting is such a waste of time.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
It funny how then layman always knows more than the top engineers with over 100 patents. All it takes is following your culture of choice on online forums and you are instantly an audio god.
I still await the golden ears to take Amir up on his offer and submit them selves to overseen controled blind tests. Put their money where their mouth is. Its a simple put up or shut up scenario. ;)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
After you program an FPGA to decode FLAC then come back and tell your story.
You can program a thousand FPGAs and not know a thing about how to do an audio test properly. I have managed not only development of FPGAs but full blow ASICs at multiple companies. Show more of this kind if disrespect and lack of knowledge and your time will be very short here.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I could list my credentials and first-hand experience, and explain how a competent design can isolate the two power domains, but why bother. I suppose I should change my sig to "bandit". This is why posting is such a waste of time.
I will do it for you: Don is a high-speed DAC designer. Importantly, he understands these topics from first principles. I suggest Mike spend a minute researching who he is writing this stuff too and save himself a heap of trouble.

fas42

Major Contributor
But the problem is still whether that "competent design" has been realised, in the flesh, for the products that apparently show a difference in audible behaviour, for WAV and FLAC. A straightforward test could be to use two such devices, make sure that they match sufficiently well in electrical output in real time when processing identical WAV files, then switch one to doing the exercise on FLAC instead - if there is a significant variance in the difference signal in this situation then one is starting to get answers ...

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I find the "height" thing hilarious .. it will however strike a chord in some people ... One of those guys even has a "Dr" in his title! Wonder from what University and in what field?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The worlds top DAC chip engineers also agree Wav is better than FLAC as well. So these guys must be onto something. Sounds better to me ears as well. I suppose the key is know how things actually work. Either that or have the ability to hear.

Science or listening impressions. Which will you give ultimate credence too Mivera? If some good blind testing say A, and your ability to hear says B which are you willing to stand behind? I am betting it is B which means you are on the wrong forum friend.

What top DAC chip engineers are you referring to here? Name some names. I believe top DAC designers will say when it is all said and done they don't sound any different.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I find the "height" thing hilarious .. it will however strike a chord in some people ... One of those guys even has a "Dr" in his title! Wonder from what University and in what field?
Physiology and molecular oncology. Several relatively prestigious universities. And yes the height thing is hilarious.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
But the problem is still whether that "competent design" has been realised, in the flesh, for the products that apparently show a difference in audible behaviour, for WAV and FLAC. A straightforward test could be to use two such devices, make sure that they match sufficiently well in electrical output in real time when processing identical WAV files, then switch one to doing the exercise on FLAC instead - if there is a significant variance in the difference signal in this situation then one is starting to get answers ...

There won't be a difference. So can we move along?

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor

Your contributions are a shining light of knowladge and real understanding this forum very much needs. I , no doubt along with countless others find a great satisfaction from reading these contributions.

If guys like you, with real knowladge and understanding retreat from forums like these we will become a irrelevant cesspit of ' what I reckon' merchants. That's certainly not something I would want to be a part of, so please don't feel your wasting your time.

:)

Mivera

Major Contributor
You can program a thousand FPGAs and not know a thing about how to do an audio test properly. I have managed not only development of FPGAs but full blow ASICs at multiple companies. Show more of this kind if disrespect and lack of knowledge and your time will be very short here.

1 minute you are telling everyone to buy a $1895 USB interface because it's great value and your selling it, the next minute the built in USB interface in a $200 DAC is as good as it gets. Then you expect to have credibility after this? Do you really think everyone reading is that stupid?

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Science in part is the lust to investigate, it's particularly helpful when this attribute outweighs the need to be seen as 'correct'. As under certain circumstances that 'need' can corrupt the validity of the investigation and ruin the spirit of science.

Last edited:

Mivera

Major Contributor

I wasn't referring to you, I was referring to other members of the peanut gallery with no experience, and just jump on whatever side that's winning at the time.

Top Bottom