• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

FLAC Compression and what are you using

Barrelhouse Solly

Compression is one of those dual identifier problem words. Audio compression involves dynamic range. File compression involves an algorithm that stores the original data using fewer bits combined with an expansion algorithm. FLAC data compression is bit perfect. No data is lost on expansion.

spiral scratch

I use EAC. These are good guides for set up. With a few alterations, I pretty much used the guide on github which used to be posted elsewhere on the internet. You need to configure the settings yourself to get the best results. Once you have it set up for your drive save the settings as a profile. I have a few different profiles depending on which drive I use. You can also be using accuraterip as it will further verify that your rip is correct and can be set up automatically within EAC. I save a log file at the end of my rips so I can check that the rip was good. In naming scheme, you can set up your ripped files however you like them. I like to output all my files into a folder with artist and album info on it. I also use MP3tag to further fix tag info to my liking and albumartdownloader to get higher quality cover images.

If I want mp3's I batch convert the flac files with dbpoweramp.

Last edited:

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
I use FLAC files because Logitech Media Server recognizes them and is able to use the tags.

I don't rip the CD, plenty of people have done it before, I consider it is a waste of time and energy.

OP
Mike710

Mike710

Apparently dBpoweramp has "special" option for uncompressed flac:

I believe it's using something like this:
Code:
]$ flac --disable-constant-subframes --disable-fixed-subframes --max-lpc-order=0 some_music.wav

flac 1.4.3
some_music.wav: wrote 42741178 bytes, ratio=1.003

]$ ls
... 42741178 ... some_music.flac
... 42623660 ... some_music.wav
Don't ask me why.

Ok that explains It. Was just curious about how could a FLAC file not be compressed, and more so how the author achieved a uncompressed FLAC file.

Thank you all for you´re insight.

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Sorry, but Isn´t a FLAC file slightly compressed although lossless? What I mean Is how did you rip you´re CD´s to a uncompressed lossless FLAC file? It wouldn´t be a FLAC file then, or I misunderstood you´re process.

Cheers

One of the options for compression with dbPowerAmp is FLAC "Uncompressed". Since space isn't an issue, I went with that.

recycle

This is what I think about the Flac files, change my mind:

- Flac files have metadata, wav files do not

- The Flac compression rate does not affect the quality of the recording

- Flac size depends a lot on what is recorded in the file, for example: A 4min file of music will have a much larger size than a 4min file of silence.

- Wav is an editing format, Flac is a distribution format, in fact it makes no sense to listen to wav files in your car instead of flac, it would just be a waste of storage space

- I don't know if Flac 96/24 sound better than the standard ones, but just knowing that they are hi-res fills my heart

- Never say to an audiophile “Mp3 320 are the same as a flac”: he could have a heart attack

hege

Forum Donor
- Flac files have metadata, wav files do not
Why is this common misconception?

As a derivative of RIFF, WAV files can be tagged with metadata in the INFO chunk. In addition, WAV files can embed any kind of metadata, including but not limited to Extensible Metadata Platform (XMP) data or ID3 tags in extra chunks.

It can even contain compressed stuff. It's a container. :cool:

OP
Mike710

Mike710

Why is this common misconception?

It can even contain compressed stuff. It's a container. :cool:
Yep, also that´s why we have the "Blue Book" standard for CD´s

@recycle
I would say, aside from what you already state, Is that FLAC Is even more useful with Hi-Res audio files, as they are clearly larger In size.

Cheers

Vincent Kars

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
As other pointed out, WAV is perfectly taggable. It is part of its standard.
The RIFF header allows for tags like:
IART (artist)
INAM (title)
IPRD (product)
IGNR (genre)
ITRK (track number)

This is not sufficient, we are missing ALBUM

This can be solved by writing tags in a info chunk.

LIST....INFO Meta data
INAM Track title.
IPRD The album title.
IART The artist who created this.
ICRD The creation date in YYYY-MM-DD format, however you should expect to see just YYYY in this field.
ITRK Track number.
ICMT A text comment.
IKEY The keywords for the project or file.
ISFT The software used to create the file.
IENG The engineer.
ITCH The technician.
IGNR Genre of content.
ICOP The copyright information.
ISBJ The subject.
IENG The name(s) of the engineer. Multiple names separated by a semicolon and a blank.
ISRC Source: the name of the person or organization that supplied the original subject of the file.
LIST....adtl Markers
labl An entry in an array containing an a label or name which is associated with the cue points from the "cue " tag in order to provide names for the markers. It seems to sit in its own LIST/INFO section separate from the meta data.

No provision for cover art. Tags like Composer, Orchestra, Soloist, Encoder, etc. are also missing. Obvious WAV can be tagged. Compared with the ID3 standard the tag set it is a bit limited.

Top Bottom