• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Philharmonic HT Centers are Here!

lewdish

Looks like a full Philharmonic home theater setup is now possible. Seems like Dennis quietly released it recently. And the first where the measurements are finally posted in CEA 2034 format measured using Klippel! Might be the center channel to beat @ $1200. Kinda hoping to see a BMR center hit the market, but this is really good looking too!

The HT Center Channel (philharmonicaudio.com)

HT-Center-K1.png

HT-Center-K2.png

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It is $1200 when purchased with other Philharmonic BMR/HT speakers (including past owners), the standalone price is $1400.

Still a good deal given the drivers alone are $600+ and the build quality they are known to offer. I guess the real question is how does the KEF R2 Meta compare.

OP
L

lewdish

Is this new? Did he always put logos on his products? Kinda reminds me of the Paradigm logo~

1700815134016.png
15541627290_50b2c5a710_b.jpg

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
He’s said the logo on the AMT is happenstance. Not a branding decision.
Apparently the Mundorf AMT he started using in the HT Tower is no longer available. This is supposed to be very similar.
Other Drivers are ScanSpeak.

mj30250

As a 3-way center, that looks exceedingly difficult to best for the asking price, while also being very easy on the eyes! It may be a touch bright in some rooms, but should be pretty easy to EQ if necessary.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Looking at the directivity I knew it had to be a 3-way
How though?
ERDI and Sound Power DI don't usually capture the directivity issues of 2-way center speakers.

Here are three centers with about as smooth or smoother ERDI and Sound Power DI than the Philharmonic center and they're all 2-way with terrible horizontal directivity:
CEA2034 - Monolith by Monoprice Encore C6 Center Channel.pngCEA2034 -- Polk XT30.pngCEA2034 -- Polk XT35.png
Monoprice Encore C6 Horizontal Contour Plot (Normalized) (1).pngPolk XT30 Horizontal Contour Plot (Normalized).pngPolk XT35 Horizontal Contour Plot (Normalized) (1).png

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Is this new? Did he always put logos on his products? Kinda reminds me of the Paradigm logo~

View attachment 328958
15541627290_50b2c5a710_b.jpg
Ooops. Not intentional. If you look at my website, you'll see this is taken directly from the font we use for banners. Fortunately, if I get a phone call from legal at Paradigm, we can order more faceplates without the insignia. Also, just in the name of accuracy, the Klippel plot you see was for a prototype that used a standard rectangular cabinet with no round over on the top or bottom. We switched to a rounded cabinet partly for aesthetics and partly to subdue diffraction effects (although I'm pretty sure you wouldn't hear the difference.)

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Ooops. Not intentional. If you look at my website, you'll see this is taken directly from the font we use for banners. Fortunately, if I get a phone call from legal at Paradigm, we can order more faceplates without the insignia. Also, just in the name of accuracy, the Klippel plot you see was for a prototype that used a standard rectangular cabinet with no round over on the top or bottom. We switched to a rounded cabinet partly for aesthetics and partly to subdue diffraction effects (although I'm pretty sure you wouldn't hear the difference.)
Hi @Dennis Murphy would you send me the raw data? I would like to add it spinorama.org.
Thanks pierre

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No BMRs? There has been great success on other designs.

Haint

Definitely need to see the dispersion graphs on a center, where I expect the widest possible image is going to be pretty much universally preferred--not just for side seats, but also to avoid a mono point source sound.

3125b

Major Contributor
Alright, don't get me wrong, this isn't meant to be a criticism of this surely technically sound speaker.
But I see two issues when it comes to selling this, given that the reality is that most people buy a speaker as much for looks as they do for sound.
First would be the very dominant panhead screws, six for the tweeter, four for the midrange and five for the woofers. I get that you have to play the cards you are dealt here, but this look really clashes with the high gloss finish in my opinion.
Seconds probably bigger issue might be the hight of this, it simply won't fit in most peoples setups. The R2 Meta with similarly sized woofers is a whole 10cm lower in profile for example.

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Alright, don't get me wrong, this isn't meant to be a criticism of this surely technically sound speaker.
But I see two issues when it comes to selling this, given that the reality is that most people buy a speaker as much for looks as they do for sound.
First would be the very dominant panhead screws, six for the tweeter, four for the midrange and five for the woofers. I get that you have to play the cards you are dealt here, but this look really clashes with the high gloss finish in my opinion.
Seconds probably bigger issue might be the hight of this, it simply won't fit in most peoples setups. The R2 Meta with similarly sized woofers is a whole 10cm lower in profile for example.
I'm not too worried about that. First, the screws are quite attractive hex units, not pan head. We use them on all of our speakers and no one has complained yet. Second, the height is slightly less than the Ascend Horizon, and that's a pretty popular center.

Top Bottom