• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Kii Seven

prestigetone

Surprised I don’t see more chatter about this. Anyone have info on this smaller model? Supposed to be released in a week.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

staticV3

Master Contributor
Anyone have info on this smaller model?
1. Its outline looks roughly like this:
Kii_seven.jpg

2. It'll be unveiled on Oct 7 at the Dutch Audio Event, Room 23.

Edit: or maybe even earlier:
376424143_18356294956077992_9077229508208354932_n.jpg
Perhaps Oct 7 will be the first time you'll be able to see it in person

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Quite a small speaker. 20x31x31cm

-3dB: 40Hz

Looks like their version of the KEF LS50 Wireless II in connectivity/functionality.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
New era of lifestyle speakers.
It really pushes the concept of a "lifestyle speaker", makes me wonder if it's still a good term. A "lifestyle business" is generally considered semi-derogatory term, meaning a business that is run inefficiently so the owners can relax or pursue other priorities. A lifestyle speaker is in my mind something similar.

When you have stuff like the LS50W, LS60, and now the Kii Seven out there, among others, which are all legitimately hi-fi, it's hard to think of them as being in the same category as a Sonos, Apple Homepod, or even a B&W Zeppelin. "Lifestyle speakers" are becoming contenders for the absolute best of hi-fi, period, so I just find the term a little off now. Maybe it's just my own preconceived notions about the word.

Anyway this speaker looks pretty serious. I don't love the Star Wars stormtrooper look of it, but if the dispersion is as good as I expect it to be, the D&D 8C might have something to worry about.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To be fair the Kii Three and D&D 8c are much larger and reach deeper bass too, so more expensive for more capable speakers.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just noticed no subwoofer pre-out RCA, that is a shame... It would ruin the cardioid bass, but still good to have the option imo.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To be fair the Kii Three and D&D 8c are much larger and reach deeper bass too, so more expensive for more capable speakers.
Good point. Do we have pricing on the Kii 7 yet?
I just noticed no subwoofer pre-out RCA, that is a shame... It would ruin the cardioid bass, but still good to have the option imo.
Yeah, especially given that it rolls off at 40hz I'm starting to rethink whether this is "not" a "lifestyle speaker"... despite the claimed excellent on-axis performance above that. That's probably harsh. But I'm more of a 20hz or GTFO guy, so don't ask me.

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Three was released before Purifi had their Ushindi woofers, so they used other woofers, ok. It is said that the amps were migrated to Eigentakt after they were released.

But now 2023 and the Seven does not use the Purifi woofers... Even less the new Purifi tweeter being developed. Why not wait a little more and use both in the Seven? Remember that both companies have Bruno as co-owner. I don't get it, maybe someone can explain this to me.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My guess is as Purifi is directed to be more an OEM providing drivers to other loudspeaker manufacturers and thus not directly competing with their customers.
... And you guessed absolutely right, IMHO. ;)

Why not wait a little more and use both in the Seven? Remember that both companies have Bruno as co-owner. I don't get it, maybe someone can explain this to me.
The real question is: Why would either the Seven or the Three integrate Purifi woofers to begin with ? Nothing is telling us that their woofers may underperform Purifi ones. By the way, they probably spent a hard time to design and tweak the DSP/active crossover with their (own, I guess?) drivers, so why would they change everything and restart from scratch ?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The drivers of the Three, and presumably the Seven, are 3rd party. I don't recall now who manufactures them, but if I recall, they are off the shelf drivers, not custom.

In theory the Ushindi tech in Purifi is lowest distortion in the woofer market, and the extended range with quite incredible low range and high SPL. Surely the new Seven could use this.

But yes, maybe Purifi supplying Kii and competing with their customers is a good reason indeed not to use them. Thanks for pointing it out to me.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The drivers of the Three, and presumably the Seven, are 3rd party.
OK, thanks. :)
In theory the Ushindi tech in Purifi is lowest distortion in the woofer market, and the extended range with quite incredible low range and high SPL.
Great to know, as my system has four of them. :cool:
But yes, maybe Purifi supplying Kii and competing with their customers is a good reason indeed not to use them.
Could be the same reason why Mola Mola are not using Eigentakt modules, I suppose.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My future Sointuva AWG will have 2 Purifi woofers too. :D

Mola Mola is sister company from Hypex and not co-owned by Bruno. He was a contractor for R&D and left before Purifi was founded. Now they are more like competitors. Mola Mola amps should soon use NCoreX or Nilai based tech in their new amps.

Anyways, sorry for the off topic, back to Kii. :)

Top Bottom