• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New ASR logo proposal

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, but that is also a risk. Leaning hard into science and away from mainstream tech can alienate new members. It all depends on Amir's goals that's for sure.
I guess this is where it gets tricky. This site still deals with all the mainstream stuff that the other sites do. It just aims to have low-to-no myths or superstitions, and a higher fact-to-opinion ratio. So what does that look like?

Mainstream equivalents outside of audio... maybe Kelly Bluebook, Consumer Reports, those sorts of publications. There is also the focus on science, so maybe Pop Sci > Nature since we're not peer reviewing original research here. But yeah, I don't immediately know how to set the brand apart without overly breaking familiarity.

Last edited:

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Chagall, that's a very nice professionally done effort, but, I'm wondering if the original logo isn't meant to convey a "Dutchy of Fenwick" kind of vibe. You know, the idea that ASR is the mouse that roars.

OP
Chagall

Chagall

Forum Donor
I guess this is where it gets tricky. This site still deals with all the mainstream stuff that the other sites do. It just aims to have low-to-no myths or superstitions, and a higher fact-to-opinion ratio. So what does that look like?

Mainstream equivalents outside of audio... maybe Kelly Bluebook, Consumer Reports, those sorts of publications. There is also the focus on science, so maybe Pop Sci > Nature since we're not peer reviewing original research here. But yeah, I don't immediately know how to set the brand apart without overly breaking familiarity.

Exactly! A balance is needed.

Something like this is inviting..

1707261909127.png

more then this....(beautiful logo nontheless)

1707261984856.png

Don't know if you have heard of or played MOBA games. There is the debate what game is best Dota 2 or Leage of legends. Dota 2 is much more complicated, higher learning curve, more nuanced and I dare to say more skill is required, but....Leage has vastly more players. Similar to Path of Exile vs Diablo games.

OP
Chagall

Chagall

Forum Donor
Chagall, that's a very nice professionally done effort, but, I'm wondering if the original logo isn't meant to convey a "Dutchy of Fenwick" kind of vibe. You know, the idea that ASR is the mouse that roars.

Thank you!

There is an old thread for more insight.

dweeeeb2

Can appreciate the enthusiasm, even like the logo’s. But I don’t understand why everything has to be updated. As a very thankful user of ASR my impression is that this site is about performance not its logo. I have no idea what the current logo is or what it means, but it is ASR.

OP
Chagall

Chagall

Forum Donor
Can appreciate the enthusiasm, even like the logo’s. But I don’t understand why everything has to be updated. As a very thankful user of ASR my impression is that this site is about performance not its logo. I have no idea what the current logo is or what it means, but it is ASR.

Thank you! That is a very valid point. Everything is changing too fast and a change for the sake of change is never a good idea.
But for that exact reason of constant updates and various trends coming and going, ASR can't stand idly by - no one can.

That said, I'll repeat, this is all up to Amir. No commitments and I won't have any regrets for trying.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I sort of like the current logo. How about an evolution of it. Maybe something like it, but more dynamic. Maybe a 3 D-ish version that looks more like gears. Or maybe a stylistic set of planetary gears turned slightly on edge. Something that looks like gears are about to move.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I thought they were Rotary Encoders.

1707264930928.png

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Most have updates, but don't completely lose the original idea.
Many companies supposedly update the logo because the employees are tired of it. I think this is probably true.

I've worked on a lot of new logos in my life, but I have never seen a customer service inquiry where someone said the logo looked outdated.

By the same token, if people are coming up and telling you your logo is outdated, you should listen. :)

OP
Chagall

Chagall

Forum Donor
I sort of like the current logo. How about an evolution of it. Maybe something like it, but more dynamic. Maybe a 3 D-ish version that looks more like gears. Or maybe a stylistic set of planetary gears turned slightly on edge. Something that looks like gears are about to move.

Sure, I can try. With ASR being primarily online, think an animated logo (gears/encoders) could work. Need to start writing all of this down:)

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow, very impressive if it were mine to pick there i would have to defer since they are all supurb but would definitely move on from the current
Great job. I am envious of artists. You must not be an engineer because they two skills are diametrically opposed LOL

boxerfan88

I like V1B.

Maybe tuck in the ‘R’ tummy a little more.

Top Bottom