• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ASR Logo

spacevector

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Anyone know what this is supposed to mean? Where did it come from?

1582668421796.png

Reactions: trl

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
When I started the forum, I went to an online service and bought that logo. It has gears in it, indicate something mechanical/precise. And I liked the colors. :)

OP
S

spacevector

Forum Donor
When I started the forum, I went to an online service and bought that logo. It has gears in it, indicate something mechanical/precise. And I liked the colors. :)
Hmmm... I was expecting Savage Thomas' shoddy work on this.

Perhaps a reboot of the logo is in order?

Hugo9000

I always thought it was supposed to be three overlapping stylized two-man crosscut saws haha! @amirm and @Thomas savage busily sawing away at the b.s.! :D

ASR crosscut saw.jpg

I even found a photo of them hard at work! I think that's Thomas on the left:
ASR Misery Whip.jpg

Apparently the really long saws were also called 'misery whips.' Back-breaking labor, I'm sure. Kind of like Amir hoisting all those loudspeakers onto his test rig, or hauling those heavy amps around!

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Nothing is likely to beat this logo, was on all their trucks, though this is a scan of a sticker I kept as a souvenir of life during pre-politically correct times...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coonass

1582671374409.png

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The ASR logo always looks like a sheep walking towards me. I see it every time I look at the the logo. Check out the guy on the right and tell me that aint the ASR logo.

1582672002890.png

It's probably about time for a logo change. Look at Apple, they've had tons of logos:

1582671510775.png

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I find it meh, certainly would vote for a more meaningful one.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The ASR logo always looks like a sheep walking towards me. I see it every time I look at the the logo. Check out the guy on the right and tell me that aint the ASR logo.

View attachment 51718
It's probably about time for a logo change. Look at Apple, they've had tons of logos:

View attachment 51716
I always found it interesting that Jobs denied that the logo was not an homage/tribute to Turing.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Engineer aesthetic. ;)

Our State Electricity organisation went from

this:

untitled.png

to this:

untitled9.png

The new one was immediately dubbed the blazing arsehole by employees. o_O

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess some of you want an animated GIF logo. Gears turning, lightning flashes all around. Something tasteful like that?
I think the important thing is to have a logo and keep it because it becomes part of the brand. Even Apple has kept basically the same logo over time other than that tacky first old style western thing. The ASR logo could use some shading, some lighting effects creating shimmer and 3D dimension. Like what is seen in the later Apple logos. They have a 3D appearance and they shimmer slightly. It looks modern and professional

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amir, you are such an amateur . . . at logo design!
The best rule of logo development is to NOT ask everyone's opinion about it! :D There is no logo that everyone or even most people will agree is best. And oh, I did not design the thing. I paid my $20 or whatever and bought the first one that looked good in their inventory.

Top Bottom