• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New amplifier recommendation for B&W 802D

Whisperer

I am looking for some amplifier recommendations for my pair of first gen B&W 802D's. My current amp is a Class D D-Sonic m2-1000s from back in 2011. Pre-amp is an Integra DTC-9.8. Speakers cables are 12ga and properly terminated.

The room is setup specifically for listening with the speakers ~2ft out from the back walls and 3ft from the side walls. Modest sound treatments are in place with rockwool bass traps in the corners and smaller panels at the sidewall first reflection points. The room hexagonal with a ~4ft knee wall before the angled walls start.

Overall the system has plenty of power and sounds great at lower volumes. But when I turn it up, typically around 85 dB and up C-weighted with slow response on the Radio Shack meter, the treble becomes rather off putting. Female voices seem to blare. Cymbals lose resolution. Everything starts to mush together at the top end of the frequency spectrum.

I am not sure if a different amplifier will help in this regards- what say you? I am open to a current gen class D or class A/B. I would prefer to stay south of $3 grand. I tend to like powerful amps and the associated headroom they provide so I would like 300w/ch at 8 ohms or more.

Beave

Major Contributor
Hard to say whether that's a speaker problem or an amp problem, or a speaker/amp combination problem.

Your best bet, if you can, might be to borrow a newer class D amp or a high-power class A/B amp and see whether or not things improve. If they don't improve, it's the speakers. If they do improve, then a new (or new-for-you used amp) is what you need.

If you can't borrow something from a dealer or friend, then buy something gently used. If it doesn't help, you can re-sell it without too much of a loss.

Digital_Thor

I tried most b&w speakers or helped set them up at friends. They all like a very solid amp, that do not have a problem with difficult loads. Last time, it was a success with high power class H amplifier like this one. http://groundsound.com/H_Amp_XXXV_dual.php
In my view, b&w speakers are hard to control, which means that they often work best with an amp that is close to welding equipment
:)

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am looking for some amplifier recommendations for my pair of first gen B&W 802D's. My current amp is a Class D D-Sonic m2-1000s from back in 2011. Pre-amp is an Integra DTC-9.8. Speakers cables are 12ga and properly terminated.

The room is setup specifically for listening with the speakers ~2ft out from the back walls and 3ft from the side walls. Modest sound treatments are in place with rockwool bass traps in the corners and smaller panels at the sidewall first reflection points. The room hexagonal with a ~4ft knee wall before the angled walls start.

Overall the system has plenty of power and sounds great at lower volumes. But when I turn it up, typically around 85 dB and up C-weighted with slow response on the Radio Shack meter, the treble becomes rather off putting. Female voices seem to blare. Cymbals lose resolution. Everything starts to mush together at the top end of the frequency spectrum.

I am not sure if a different amplifier will help in this regards- what say you? I am open to a current gen class D or class A/B. I would prefer to stay south of $3 grand. I tend to like powerful amps and the associated headroom they provide so I would like 300w/ch at 8 ohms or more.

It's likely a speaker issue. BMWs are known to have a treble peak built-in, usually about 4-5kHz, which is the upper end of the frequency range where human hearing is most sensitive, and so very noticeable. An amp is not going to fix the issue. You need EQ or DSP. I have an older pair of 705s myself - not as good as your 802Ds of course - and I enjoy them very much, but only with room EQ, which includes a cut in that 4kHz range.

Nybto

Forum Donor
I would suggest this is a case for a bit of EQ tuning rather than a new amp - miniDSP flex between your pre and your power amp - and a learning curve to climb (but it’s a fun one)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would suggest this is a case for a bit of EQ tuning rather than a new amp - miniDSP flex between your pre and your power amp - and a learning curve to climb (but it’s a fun one)
Yes; I know my ears would resent those treble peaks, even if they add sparkle at low levels:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Old school class D amps had more distortion on the treble when power rises (AFAIK D-Sonic uses ICEpower, which is known for that), so that is a possibility of your amp indeed.

Maybe try one of these? State of the art.

Johnboy

I'm using a gryphon diablo 300 with my 802d works really well. Deep base and smooth treble lovely mids. Will play as loud as you like, it's very dynamic.

JRR

If you want to go the EQ route you could try a MiniDSP SHD and an Audiophonics purify amp. Worked well enough on my JBL K2's. Dirac should knock that sibliance down in short order.

zman01

Is this the loudspeaker?

If yes, the frequency response does show some bumps in the midrange and treble... (image from Stereophile measurements page attached ).

P.S. fpitas, has already shared the same in post # 7 of this thread :)

Attachments

• B&W 802D gen 1 Stereophile Measurements.jpg
    B&W 802D gen 1 Stereophile Measurements.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 56

Digital_Thor

Is this the loudspeaker?

If yes, the frequency response does show some bumps in the midrange and treble... (image from Stereophile measurements page attached ).

P.S. fpitas, has already shared the same in post # 7 of this thread :)
A 6" midrange crossed at 4kHz.... no surprise in those measurements - rather big dip in the power response - leading to a rather "dull" upper midrange and overly representation of the bass and tweeter - as a result - as a whole. Exactly my experience of all modern B&W speaker I've heard - no matter the price.
It has been a brand with a serious sound signature - for around 25–30 years now, since the guy ( cant remember name ) who went at made another brand - because they disagreed on the overall design philosophy.
Bottom line - don't buy B&W for anything resembling "correct" sound reproduction. Buy them for preference in their specific looks and a "unique" sound.

Reactions: MAB

zman01

The guy who went and made another brand (Vivid Audio) is Laurence Dickie. :)

Reactions: MAB
Top Bottom