• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pls help before i waste money - Amplifier Advice

HomeStereo

Forum Donor
Hi everyone,

i decided to recently upgrade my stereo speakers to the Revel MK105 and pair them w 2 SVS SB 1000s. Im overall very happy with the sound quality of my setup atm - I just wish my amplifier had more juice so i can drive up my volume and really enjoy the bass the subwoofers can put out.

my current signal chain for the speakers:

RPI Volumio --> MINIDSP Flex 8 (also being used as digital preamp) --> TOPPING PA5II Plus --> speakers

I have about $700 bucks in my budget and was looking at some DIY power amps vs SCHITT VIDAR2 (since i can then just perform volume control digitally via the MINIDSP Flex 8).

A) Am i thinking about volume control correctly with regards to feeding a power amp via the miniDSP?
B) Is it going to be a PITA to gain match the speakers to subwoofers w a power amp/would it be easier with an integrated amp for the mains?
C) Any reccs on wwhere I should invest next (brands/amps/etc) wowuld be much appreciated!!

staticV3

Master Contributor
You'd want to control volume with the Flex anyway since that'll keep the mains and subs in sync.

If you controlled volume on the Int Amp that drives the mains, then you'd change the tonal balance as well as the subs would be left at a constant volume.

If the PA5II Plus is really not enough power for you (make sure! It might just be a gain mismatch), then I'd see what $700 buys me in a Hypex or Purifi Amp from Audiophonics, Nord, Boxem, Buckeye, March, VTV, etc.

Setting that up to match the subs should be a one and done ordeal. Even easier if you have a mic like the UMIK-1.

OP
H

HomeStereo

Forum Donor
Hmm - my gain is set to 0DB all the way through digitally and I’m at 70% on the volume knob for the pa5 - I guess what I mean to say is in theory I’d like the ability to host a rock concert in my house haha - it just hurts to know my subs can go up to 110-120 db or so and I’ll never be able to enjoy that with my mains - I could also just save my 700 bucks and be happy w the fact that I can get 65-80 db easily w the PA5II

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
I assume you are high-passing the Revels with the miniDSP? If so, I'd expect you to have enough power on tap to get pretty loud. The bass power should be coming from the subs, and you're more than covered there.

I think a gain mis-match is more likely than a power shortage here, but make sure you are high passing the signal to the Revels.

OP
H

HomeStereo

Forum Donor
Yeah I have a 90 DB LR24 HPF on the mains and a corresponding LPF for the subs

8T_BoCO

Double the power of the PA5II with a Vidar 2 or Buckeye Hypex NC252MP or even NC502MP would do nicely, if you have a way to control volume.
I use an inexpensive passive preamp.

staticV3

Master Contributor
The Revel M105 has 85dB SPL/2.83V @1m and drops to 4Ω regularly.
The PA5II Plus can output 23Vrms at 4Ω.

With a stereo pair at 2m listening distance and moderate room reinforcement, the PA5II Plus can drive the M105 to 103dB SPL Peak.

Dick-A

Forum Donor
You'd want to control volume with the Flex anyway since that'll keep the mains and subs in sync.

If you controlled volume on the Int Amp that drives the mains, then you'd change the tonal balance as well as the subs would be left at a constant volume.

If the PA5II Plus is really not enough power for you (make sure! It might just be a gain mismatch), then I'd see what $700 buys me in a Hypex or Purifi Amp from Audiophonics, Nord, Boxem, Buckeye, March, VTV, etc.

Setting that up to match the subs should be a one and done ordeal. Even easier if you have a mic like the UMIK-1.
StaticV3 gave you excellent advice. If you follow up on that advice should be very pleased with your results.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a March Audio p252 powering Revel F228be speakers in a large room. March doesn't even make that one anymore, but I'm sure you could find units out there ffor less than your budget.

AaronJ

I do not recommend running the MiniDSP directly to an amplifier without some analog attenuation in between. Mine has gone to max volume on me when coming out of some Dirac Live calibration. I think you should budget for a decent in-line pot to protect your speakers. I use a JDS Labs OL Switcher or Schiit SYS with the attenuation knob at 12 o'clock, but your needs may vary. The Topping amp has a volume knob so you're OK with it, but if you do go the power amp route like Vidar or P252 please consider this fail-safe.

Top Bottom