• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New AIYIMA MM/MC Phono Preamplifier

AIYIMA

Audio Company
Forum Donor
We are honored to introduce the upcoming preamplifier T3 PRO to all ASR members., T3 PRO is compatible with both MM and MC turntables.

parameter:
*Input sensitivity: 5mV (MM mode), 0.5mV (MC mode)
*Maximum output amplitude: 450mV
*Frequency response: refer to RIAA characteristics ±3dB
*Working voltage: AC12V/≥0.5A
*Distortion: 0.02%
*Signal to noise ratio: ≥76dB

T3 PRO-1.jpg

T3 PRO-2.jpg
T3 PRO-3.jpg

Frequency response:
Frequency response.png

Signal to Noise Ratio:
Signal to Noise Ratio.png

THD+N Ratio:
THD+N Ratio.png

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
Nice!

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Variable gain and volume control. I like!

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
*Maximum output amplitude: 450mV
Is that a correct specification? With MM 5mV and a typical 40dB gain, then the output would be 500mV.

Does that mean this preamp will clip at 5mV and has absolutely zero (in fact negative) headroom?

Amir will rate as poor any MM preamp with low clipping levels - even if it is clipping at 50mV (10x what you seem to be rating). You need to be able to input 100mV without clipping to be good. (That is 10V output with 40dB gain)

OP
AIYIMA

AIYIMA

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Is that a correct specification? With MM 5mV and a typical 40dB gain, then the output would be 500mV.

Does that mean this preamp will clip at 5mV and has absolutely zero (in fact negative) headroom?

Amir will rate as poor any MM preamp with low clipping levels - even if it is clipping at 50mV (10x what you seem to be rating). You need to be able to input 100mV without clipping to be good. (That is 10V output with 40dB gain)
Where is the data 40db?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Where is the data 40db?
40dB is a typical gain needed for a MM cartridge. It is also a concern that you don't specify the gain of your device.

Even that is suspect. With 40dB you are going to put a "rated" 0.5V into the amp. But many amps need more than this to get even close to full power.

Add to that the fact that many records with a typical 5mV rated cartridge can put out much more than 5mV (the 5mV rating is at a particular stylus acceleration - which is not the maximum possible acceleration) then if your pre-amp can only output 0.5V you are in trouble.

The pre-amps rated by Amir as good can put out more than 10 VOLTS. This is needed so as not to clip (and hence exaggerate the effect of) pops and clicks.

Having said all that - I'm guessing that your MAX 450mV is not really a maximum - but is the rated output with 5mV input (which would be 39dB gain. But that is not what you are saying - and if I am correct, you also need to state what your maximum (clipping level) output is.

AIYIMA:GUO

40dB is a typical gain needed for a MM cartridge. It is also a concern that you don't specify the gain of your device.

Even that is suspect. With 40dB you are going to put a "rated" 0.5V into the amp. But many amps need more than this to get even close to full power.

Add to that the fact that many records with a typical 5mV rated cartridge can put out much more than 5mV (the 5mV rating is at a particular stylus acceleration - which is not the maximum possible acceleration) then if your pre-amp can only output 0.5V you are in trouble.

The pre-amps rated by Amir as good can put out more than 10 VOLTS. This is needed so as not to clip (and hence exaggerate the effect of) pops and clicks.

Having said all that - I'm guessing that your MAX 450mV is not really a maximum - but is the rated output with 5mV input (which would be 39dB gain. But that is not what you are saying - and if I am correct, you also need to state what your maximum (clipping level) output is.

Attachments

• 1709860241615.png
    1709860241615.png
    120 KB · Views: 66

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks - so I was right at 39dB gain :)

Not bad - but Amir's target, as far as I can see, for excellence is no clipping up to 100mV input. Is the result above the level just before it starts to clip - or is there more headroom available.

Based on other phono pre reviews, I think Amir will rate this (for headroom at 45mV) as decent.

Here is the THD+N vs generator level for the ART Precision which achieves 130mV at a price point below $100

Screenshot 2024-03-08 at 08.32.17.png

MCH

Major Contributor
Amir also measures at different frequencies, that usually give very different results. It would be great if aiyima can measure and share this as well:
1709891775464.png

One more thing. The spec is +-3dB frequency response. Is it possible to see the normalized (I don't know how to call it) frequency response? Thanks.

BuddyJ

When is this going to be available and what's the price? I'm interested in it.

MoreWatts

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It looks like the ground connector is for an RCA plug. Don't most phono cables use a spade lug for their ground connection, which uses a screw-terminal?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It looks like the ground connector is for an RCA plug. Don't most phono cables use a spade lug for their ground connection, which uses a screw-terminal?
No it doesn't. Different diameter, different hole size, plus look at the bottom view.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Banana plug maybe?
Possibly - maybe a bit small for that. Looks to me like a standard threaded stud with a screw over knurled knob.

Like the one on this - though this does look like it might take a banana plug.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
One more thing. The spec is +-3dB frequency response. Is it possible to see the normalized (I don't know how to call it) frequency response? Thanks.
+/-3dB is pretty poor too. The previously mentioned ART Precision measured at +/-0.75dB and even that isn't especially good.

Top Bottom