• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neutron Hifi DAC V1

Nango

Major Contributor
Power consumption of the dongle is how much in mA??? Did you measure this? Where is it shipped from into EU pls?

Last edited:

dmitrykos

Audio Company
Power consumption of the dongle is how much in mA??? Did you measure this? Where is it shipped from into EU pls?

Active playing (average, 32Ω earbuds with built-in mic and inline media controls): min 80mA, max 120mA - 50% volume, 160mA - 100% volume. Consumption is varying depending on music content currently playing, so quite, relaxed music will consume less.

Idle: 40mA (headset with built-in mic is attached), 30mA (headset without built-in mic is attached), 0mA (headset is detached but still connected to USB port).

Is shipped to EU without any problem - you just get it without a hassle.

Happy to see also the Isolation V1 tested by @amirm . Thanks for the software NP is great!!!!

Yes, why not! Isolator V1 basically delivers experience as if you are listening to a battery-powered USB DAC, e.g. when power is free from the noise coming from USB data and power paths (both), lowers noise floor of USB DAC considerably.

Last edited:

dmitrykos

Audio Company
Taxes involved?

Depends on the shipping method, if it does not mention DDU (duties unpaid) then nothing additional is involved. You can clarify it inside the online store when making the order, all charges and clarifications (if any) are provided there.

CedarX

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yes, why not! Isolator V1 basically delivers experience as if you are listening to a battery-powered USB DAC, e.g. when power is free from the noise coming from USB data and power paths (both), lowers noise floor of USB DAC considerably.
Do you have actual measurement data supporting that claim?
This is off-topic, so maybe a new thread would be needed, but I’ll be curious to see the data.

MC_RME

Technical Expert
Audio Company
The most relevant data (for any USB isolator) is the coupling capacity between input and output. And I am not talking about the value given in the isolation chip's data sheet, but the real measured value on the complete(d) device. Hope that is available.

dmitrykos

Audio Company
Do you have actual measurement data supporting that claim?
This is off-topic, so maybe a new thread would be needed, but I’ll be curious to see the data.

You can check noise measurement results presented on Isolator V1's web page - see parts: Must-have for audiophiles (Spectrogram), Required for your measurements (Spectrum). They demonstrate how noise sources are spread within 96kHz and what is the difference between DAC connected to PC directly, via Isolator V1 and when it is on Battery.

The most relevant data (for any USB isolator) is the coupling capacity between input and output. And I am not talking about the value given in the isolation chip's data sheet, but the real measured value on the complete(d) device. Hope that is available.

According to measurements, assuming USB host port does not experience power drop due (well regulated) to applied load and gives stable 5V then without external power provided Isolator V1 achieves around 1.9572W with 420mA load. So the reported specs in its Specification match the real performance.

CedarX

Forum Donor
You can check noise measurement results presented on Isolator V1's web page - see parts: Must-have for audiophiles (Spectrogram), Required for your measurements (Spectrum). They demonstrate how noise sources are spread within 96kHz and what is the difference between DAC connected to PC directly, via Isolator V1 and when it is on Battery.
If I read that page correctly, it shows the noise reduction on the USB side with a DAP, not really the impact on the audio output. Or am I wrong here?

If I insert Isolator V1 between my PC and DAC V1, how much noise improvement would I get? For example, the 0.00046% (THD+N?) at 32 Ohms goes down to what?

MC_RME

Technical Expert
Audio Company
According to measurements, assuming USB host port does not experience power drop due (well regulated) to applied load and gives stable 5V then without external power provided Isolator V1 achieves around 1.9572W with 420mA load. So the reported specs in its Specification match the real performance.
Hi Dmitrykos,

sorry, but that is not what I asked. Have a look here:

And here:

Then measure the coupling capacitance with an LCR meter between USB input and USB output.

Best Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

dmitrykos

Audio Company
If I read that page correctly, it shows the noise reduction on the USB side with a DAP, not really the impact on the audio output. Or am I wrong here?

Spectrum and Spectrogram readings were made for the audio output of the DAP device. It was running on battery, or connected to PC directly, or connected to PC via Isolator V1.

If I insert Isolator V1 between my PC and DAC V1, how much noise improvement would I get? For example, the 0.00046% (THD+N?) at 32 Ohms goes down to what?

It has not yet been measured, e.g. to what extent THD+N is decreased numerically, but noise removal is observed on Spectrum/Spectrogram and, obviously, if DAC picks up the noise from USB VBUS and does not have internal isolation solution for USB data and VBUS (limit of enclosure size, PCB space, design ...) then the noise floor will be higher.

sorry, but that is not what I asked

Hi Matthias! I am glad to see you here :) Yes, I misunderstood your question because thought you meant input/output of Isolator V1 device. I can't judge about other devices you referenced because they have not only isolating solution but the whole power-related circuit and PCB layout (power, analog audio output) must be evaluated regarding what is causing capacitance. The effect on capacitance of audio output was not measured but I think it can be done later by volunteers.

Keeb1

I purchased the Neutron HiFi DAC and received it on Saturday. So far the NConfigurator app is unusable for me on Windows. It gets stuck in a cycle of "Disconnected" and "Connecting", constantly switching between the two. I have tried different USB ports and cables but no luck. It seems to be an issue with the app or my unit. Has anyone else tried? I reached out to [email protected] but no response so far.

MC_RME

Technical Expert
Audio Company
Hi Matthias! I am glad to see you here :) Yes, I misunderstood your question because thought you meant input/output of Isolator V1 device. I can't judge about other devices you referenced because they have not only isolating solution but the whole power-related circuit and PCB layout (power, analog audio output) must be evaluated regarding what is causing capacitance. The effect on capacitance of audio output was not measured but I think it can be done later by volunteers.
I gladly volunteer...just sent me one Isolator V1...:D:D:D

Last edited:

dmitrykos

Audio Company
I purchased the Neutron HiFi DAC and received it on Saturday. So far the NConfigurator app is unusable for me on Windows. It gets stuck in a cycle of "Disconnected" and "Connecting", constantly switching between the two. I have tried different USB ports and cables but no luck. It seems to be an issue with the app or my unit. Has anyone else tried? I reached out to [email protected] but no response so far.

@Keeb1 replied to your e-mail just now, - time difference. DAC V1 goes into a deep sleep when headset jack has no connection to save power of USB host, therefore it disappears from PC as active USB device (Apple USB-C audio adapter does the same).

Manual, Page 12, Getting Started: "Connect headset or speakers to the 3.5mm jack for configuration to make DAC discoverable by the Host as USB device.".

Most likely it is the reason in your case because every device unit is tested for audio performance and operation as USB device. Will be waiting for your clarification.

Last edited:

rlw6534

I went ahead and installed the NConfigurator app on my MacBook Air M2 (DAC is arriving today). The app indicated an update (for the app) was available but the new update is damaged and won’t open. The original downloaded version does work. I tried a few times with no luck. The version that won't open is 1.5.6878.

dmitrykos

Audio Company
The original downloaded version does work. I tried a few times with no luck. The version that won't open is 1.5.6878.

You caught situation in the middle of changes :) NConfigurator for macOS was updated today and its version now is 1.5.0 (does it work well for you?). Updated version is available for download from the web site currently. It will no longer advertise the update to 1.5.6878 - just corrected it, please re-download/re-install again from the web site. Versioning will be changed too, so the revision (6878 and higher) will go away to avoid confusion.

Last edited:

rlw6534

You caught situation in the middle of changes :) NConfigurator for macOS was updated today and its version now is 1.5.0 (does it work well for you?). Updated version is available for download from the web site currently. It will no longer advertise the update to 1.5.6878 - just corrected it, please re-download/re-install again from the web site. Versioning will be changed too, so the revision (6878 and higher) will go away to avoid confusion.

I don't have the DAC yet but version 1.50 from the web site is opening and appears OK. I expect the DAC to arrive in the next few hours. I was just getting ready... :)

sushi2020

Very interesting, but the Qudelix 5K, which is $70 cheaper, has a battery, balanced 4VRMS output and already 20 bands / LR PEQ.

Both have ES9219 DAC chips, which makes me wonder a bit how much of an advantage this Neautron Hifi Dac V1 has.

Top Bottom