• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH80 DSP Monitor Measurements #3

jmf11

I meant does the Neumann active speaker also have a preamp, meaning I can feed it with a fixed voltage directly from a source that does not have volume control and I can control the volume directly on the Neumann active speaker.
No. On the KH80, you only have, on each speaker (no synchro between the two speakers):
- a 4 position switch for overal gain form 94 to 114dB,
- a small potentiometer for fine adjustment of the speaker level.

Volume nees to be addressed upstream.

radix

Major Contributor
I meant does the Neumann active speaker also have a preamp, meaning I can feed it with a fixed voltage directly from a source that does not have volume control and I can control the volume directly on the Neumann active speaker.
The JBL 4305P (and maybe others) has a built-in streamer and audio connections with volume and source selection knobs on the front. You would not need a preamp (or really anything else) with those.

unpluggged

dfuller

Major Contributor
Erin's reviewed the KH80. Nothing public yet (all behind Patreon) so I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

boxerfan88

Yup, Erin just posted on YT. I guess need to wait a few days before it’s public.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It'll be interesting to see the compression data. IMO that's the best part of Erin's reviews, in that basically nobody else does it.
For me also (actually even a bit more) the multitone distortion measurements.

boxerfan88

Yeah, I do find the compression test & multitone test results quite enlightening.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've heard of Erin before & read some of his reviews but until today I'd never thought to watch his Youtube reviews - he's got a Texas accent is it? I'd never imagined he'd have a Texas accent, that's just somekind of bias right (I'm from the UK for perspective). I just realised I had unconcious bias that Texas accents don't equal = technically minded, you know the classic cowboy thing, but bear in mind I'm from the UK! Anyway, very good video & he explained everything very well and the accent just adds individuality & character, so kudos for his video reviews & what he's doing, good job! (Maybe he doesn't have a Texas accent, remember I'm from the UK!)

dfuller

Major Contributor
I've heard of Erin before & read some of his reviews but until today I'd never thought to watch his Youtube reviews - he's got a Texas accent is it? I'd never imagined he'd have a Texas accent, that's just somekind of bias right (I'm from the UK for perspective). I just realised I had unconcious bias that Texas accents don't equal = technically minded, you know the classic cowboy thing, but bear in mind I'm from the UK! Anyway, very good video & he explained everything very well and the accent just adds individuality & character, so kudos for his video reviews & what he's doing, good job! (Maybe he doesn't have a Texas accent, remember I'm from the UK!)
He's got a southern accent, I am not sure where he's from but last I checked he lives in Alabama somewhere?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
He's got a southern accent, I am not sure where he's from but last I checked he lives in Alabama somewhere?
Ha, well that goes to show what I know even though I lived in Georgia for a year as a teenager! (but don't Southern States have a drawl, he doesn't have that). I suppose I think of one of the less twangy American accents as "more technical", is that the phrase "Mid Western" or I've made that up. One of the more neutral American accents anyway. Regardless, I just wanted to say it was a very well presented video and wanted to mention my unconscious previous bias I recognised!

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
He is in Alabama, not sure if he was raised there though.

Top Bottom