• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH420 Review (Studio Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 29 5.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 491 93.5%

• Total voters

paudio

Indeed. Monoprice Monolith series subs have a single XLR input, but no bass management at the XLR out (just pass through). Many other HT subs don't have balanced inputs at all... :confused:

What about adding the balanced version of MiniDSP Flex in the mix? That would widen your subwoofer options by giving you external bass management; in addition to room EQ (via manual PEQ or with the optional Dirac Live add-on), a well-measuring DAC and a remote control.
Possibly but at the used price they don't seem too bad. Matching finish and lots of good options on the back. Can't get free shipping on the monoliths in Canada. SVS same price would get me a 1000 pro ported. About $1500 CAD shipped but before tax. Built in grill is important as well have nephews running around.

For the amount I'd be spending I could probably diy/build a kit that would get me lower than 17hz though.

Ciobi69

Possibly but at the used price they don't seem too bad. Matching finish and lots of good options on the back. Can't get free shipping on the monoliths in Canada. SVS same price would get me a 1000 pro ported. About $1500 CAD shipped but before tax. Built in grill is important as well have nephews running around.

For the amount I'd be spending I could probably diy/build a kit that would get me lower than 17hz though.
Diy for sub is the way I have 2 subs that crush commercial subs until you start spending 4k for each subwoofer at least

Vintage57

Forum Donor
I have the KH420’s which I run through the high pass on one of my 4 KH805’s. The 805’s are in or as close to the corners as I can get.
They serve a twofold purpose. First to flatten the bass response and secondly to give me that punch that I could not get because of room nodes. The subs are connected in daisy chain which Neumann recommended.
I too went the used route, no regrets.
The result is amazing, not only can you hear the bottom octaves and feel them. It can be played at crazy volumes with no noticeable bass compression.

paudio

Diy for sub is the way I have 2 subs that crush commercial subs until you start spending 4k for each subwoofer at least
I bet. I love projects. Though this time looks like used deal won out.

I have the KH420’s which I run through the high pass on one of my 4 KH805’s. The 805’s are in or as close to the corners as I can get.
They serve a twofold purpose. First to flatten the bass response and secondly to give me that punch that I could not get because of room nodes. The subs are connected in daisy chain which Neumann recommended.
I too went the used route, no regrets.
The result is amazing, not only can you hear the bottom octaves and feel them. It can be played at crazy volumes with no noticeable bass compression.
Sounds pretty awesome. Sounds like what I'm looking for. Currently it sounds pretty full for speakers but the extension can't quite compare to my headphones and iems.

I ended up pulling the trigger on two KH810s at 1000 USD each which seems pretty good.

Vintage57

Forum Donor
I bet. I love projects. Though this time looks like used deal won out.

Sounds pretty awesome. Sounds like what I'm looking for. Currently it sounds pretty full for speakers but the extension can't quite compare to my headphones and iems.

I ended up pulling the trigger on two KH810s at 1000 USD each which seems pretty good.
Good call, I would like know how you like the result Hint keep the subs away from the mains. They’re set from factory to cross at 80Hz. Impossible to locate.
Used stuff is good option for premium product. It’s money tied up but not diminishing in value.

paudio

Good call, I would like know how you like the result Hint keep the subs away from the mains. They’re set from factory to cross at 80Hz. Impossible to locate.
Used stuff is good option for premium product. It’s money tied up but not diminishing in value.
Setup is very large for a bedroom. One day I will have a bit bigger room. Would be awesome to flush mount the system. I kept crunching the numbers and it's hard to beat the used price. I really only needed the KH805. I highly doubt I will expand to a 5.1 system.

paudio

I originally purchased the set of O410 sitting on Primacoustics Recoil Stabilizers on Sound Anchor ADMID stands. The Recoil Stabilizers are kind of bottoming out asymmetrically to one side without some kind of board under the ADMID forks. Started reading on speaker isolation and am feeling like the Recoil Stabilizers are unnecessary. Bought some Sorbethane discs for $40 off amazon but not liking how sticky they are. Went to the dollar store and got some non slip foam furniture pads. Stuck 4 of those down instead directly the ADMID forks so the speaker isn't resting on the metal and won't slip around easily.

Definitely can't hear a difference. Have a Umik-1 coming in the mail so I can start trying to quantify my setup though.

Last edited:

paudio

Two used KH810s should be arriving by Wednesday! Going to shove em on the bottom portion of my Sound Anchor ADMID stands to start. Living in a room and this whole setup is extremely overkill. Thinking I might want these stands on casters with 140lbs of speaker on each. Would be nice to pull them out and adjust/dust/etc

Vintage57

Forum Donor
Two used KH810s should be arriving by Wednesday! Going to shove em on the bottom portion of my Sound Anchor ADMID stands to start. Living in a room and this whole setup is extremely overkill.
While that placement may work for you I highly doubt it.
The best practice has been to place the subs in corners of the room. Try to fill nulls that occur with your mains. Placing them where the mains are will exacerbate the nulls not typically what you would like.
I have the same setup, in a different room of course. I started with 2 subs and then added a couple more. Each sub is located as close as possible to a corner. The sound is nothing short of amazing.
Good luck with your new purchase. It will pay dividends if you are willing to experiment
YMMV

paudio

While that placement may work for you I highly doubt it.
The best practice has been to place the subs in corners of the room. Try to fill nulls that occur with your mains. Placing them where the mains are will exacerbate the nulls not typically what you would like.
I have the same setup, in a different room of course. I started with 2 subs and then added a couple more. Each sub is located as close as possible to a corner. The sound is nothing short of amazing.
Good luck with your new purchase. It will pay dividends if you are willing to experiment
YMMV

We will see as I will measure. I might need to wait for proper placement once I move into my own place. The mains aren't even in optimal position due to space constraints currently! One has to compromise a bit when everything has to fit into one room. Like desk, bed, clothing, storage.

Last edited:

paudio

The reality of how these are going to be setup for now.

Attachments

• IMG_20231025_131717~2.jpg
    IMG_20231025_131717~2.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 183

Pio

Forum Donor
The reality of how these are going to be setup for now.
It's amazing how deep the 810 is... to me, looks beautiful!!

Vintage57

Forum Donor
According to the Neumann website the 420 is 96 litres and the 805/810 is 76.6 litres.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Looking at buying some 420s some point early next year. Anybody have advice on what stands to use here?

MikeP

Looking at buying some 420s some point early next year. Anybody have advice on what stands to use here?
I'm using Wharfedale Elysian 2 stands. The combination looks amazing and feels sturdy.

The resulting acoustic axis is at 99cm from the floor. In my case, it fits quite nicely.

Reactions: Pio

Pio

Forum Donor
I'm using Wharfedale Elysian 2 stands. The combination looks amazing and feels sturdy.

The resulting acoustic axis is at 99cm from the floor. In my case, it fits quite nicely.
Thats my set up as well, except I switched the spikes for wheels.

Top Bottom